Efficiency on Demand
Operations, Outsourcing & Onboarding with Nathan Hirsch
Nathan Hirsch is an entrepreneur and expert in remote hiring and eCommerce. Most recently, Nathan co-founded FreeeUp.com in 2015 with an initial $5,000 investment, scaled it to $12M per year in revenue, and was then acquired in 2019. Today, Nathan is a co-founder of OutsourceSchool, a company working to educate entrepreneurs on how to effectively hire and scale with virtual assistants through in-depth courses. Nathan has appeared on 300+ podcasts, is a social media personality, and loves sharing advice on scaling remote businesses.
In today’s episode, Nathan and Monique are talking about how Nathan bootstrapped 3 different businesses with less than $5k initial investment. The last company hit 8-figures in revenue and was acquired within the industry, a dream that came true. Nathan also shares the journey from the initial investment, to efficiently scaling the business organically for 4 years. This episode is for all of you out there who are entrepreneurs by heart and are looking for inspiration to see, you too can be the one hitting big goals!
HOT TOPICS OF THE EPISODE
[1:12] - Monique introduces her guest, Nathan Hirsch.
[2:27] - Tell us about who you are, what you do, why you have a German surname and how was it growing up being a Half-German?
- I am the co-founder of Outsource School
- My dad's German and Jewish.
- I grew up in a town called East Longmeadow in Massachusetts.
[4:49] - Nathan talks about his first glimpse into being an entrepreneur.
[7:50] - Walk me through your experience of school and share a bit about the educational system.
- College was a fun time. I met some of my best friends. I started my business there, I met my business partner.
- Did I get an ROI on the degrees? Not, but if I didn't go to college, then I wouldn't have met my business partner and who knows where I'd be right now.
[12:21] - What made you decide that you don’t want to follow your parent’s steps?
- My aunt influenced me a lot.
- I got to see my aunt start her own business.
- I gotta see her upgrade nicer houses as her business grows.
- I got to talk to her and learn from her.
[15:27] - Which of the life skills do you think are the most important one when it comes to outsourcing?
- Focusing your time and having a priority is important.
- No matter what you're doing in life, you have to have time management skills. You have to have the ability to prioritize.
[16:56] - When you started outsourcing, what was it that you were looking for in the beginning?
- At the beginning, I just needed help.
- I learned from scratch, and it took me years to build out my interview process. My on boarding process and my training process through a lot of trial and error.
[18:35] - Do you only hire people in the Philippines or do you actually hire worldwide?
- I like to divide up hiring into three levels. The followers, the doers, and the experts.
- I hire followers from the Philippines
- And I hire doers and experts from different countries.
[19:16] - What do you think makes them the best followers?
- They learn English at a very young age.
- They have a great sense of family, which is good if you are creating a good culture and a good team.
[21:11] - What are the things that would piss you off the most about this industry?
- Not treating the VA well.
[34:17] - What do you think are the great perks to offer to a team that's not on a payroll?
- They get the flexibility to work remotely.
- I'm also flexible when it comes to days off.
- We've thrown Christmas parties, where we'll pay for the food. We'll pay for everything and they'll get together.
[40:01] - When you start working with entrepreneurs and outsourcing. What question would you wish they would ask you more?
- I like to focus on system and process questions.
[44:32] - What does efficiency mean to you?
- It's all about figuring out what hours in the day I'm most productive doing things. And what I can get done to move the needle.
[46:36] - Which of the three things would you keep doing over and over again to get back to success?
- Going on podcasts
AWESOME RESOURCES THAT WE TALKED ABOUT IN THIS EPISODE
IMPACTFUL QUOTES OF THIS EPISODE
“Focusing your time and having a priority is incredibly important.” - Nathan Hirsch
“You have to have time management skills, you have to have the ability to prioritize.” - Nathan Hirsch
FIND MORE ABOUT NATHAN HIRSCH HERE