Episode 39: Matt Blakely
Something completely out of Matt Blakely's control became a big break for his early stage company.
Becoming a control freak almost ruined it.
Fortunately, Matt woke up and realized he was holding his company back - just in time.
He had to be better.
He had to lead better.
Ultimately, he had to let go.
The first thing he did? He sat down with his team and shared his epiphany. Then he asked for their help - to become a better leader.
Talk about eating crow. That's a third trip to the buffet.
Matt decided to "paint the picture of what he wants to be and what he wants for success."
He then laid it out for the team.
Most bought in. Some didn't. That was OK.
What happened next was epic.
Key Takeaways for Leaders and Entrepreneurs:
- Rethink everything.
- Transparency is essential.
- Work on yourself - and ask others to help you.
- More hours does not always translate to better performance.
Matt's Eating Crow Moments:
- Waking up and realizing he was the problem.
- Giving examples of this to his team (showing them he really gets it).
- Stepping back and relinquishing control.
- Knowing everyone won't buy in.
You can find Matt, and his excellent content for leaders on LinkedIn here: