Episode 38: Brooks Bell
I've been following Brooks Bell's career for years.
Her name is on the building where her consulting firm has grown into one of the most respected and innovative groups in the country.
I drive by the office frequently.
I've always wondered...
On this, the 38th episode of Eating Crow, we meet Brooks. I should have reached out years ago.
Brooks is brilliant.
She's built an amazing company.
But her new mission is educating people about early detection for colon cancer...you can see where this is going.
At 38-years old, at the peak of her professional and personal lives, she was diagnosed with cancer.
Brooks did what you'd expect. She jumped in.
She resigned as CEO of her own company the next day.
She was going to beat this. And she did.
She learned a lot about cancer, and how early detection saves lives for those diagnosed with colon cancer, specifically.
She's now a champion for not only early detection, but for healthier lifestyles that can prevent or help you weather the treatment for cancers.
Brooks' Eating Crow Moments:
- Once diagnosed, she had to make serious lifestyle changes. They were difficult, not natural.
- Priorities changed. Rethinking work/life/health opened her eyes.
- Cooking. She didn't cook. Now she grows her own veggies and has learned the joy of healthy cooking and how wonderful it can taste.
- Exercise. She never considered herself athletic, so she doubled down and learned yoga, movement and mindfulness - amazing the impact they can have for those in cancer treatment and to prevent the debilitating impact stress can have on your health.
Key Takeaways for Leaders and Entrepreneurs:
- Pay attention to your body. It's the only one you get and if something isn't right, check it out.
- Work will always be there. You must prioritize your health, or you, your family and your company don't get the best version of yourself each day.
- Her health journey has evolved her company. Today, Brooks Bell has evolved into a dynamic firm, addressing "bigger" problems, forming long-term partnerships with their clients.
You can find Brooks here, along with her mission and messaging: https://www.linkedin.com/in/brooksbellinteractive/