This Podcast is Delicious
Is Beer Toxic?
Season 3, Ep. 16
We explore "Toxic Masculinity" and its pervasiveness in food and drink.
Marco comes the the realization that he was pretty much brainwashed into thinking he likes beer.
Ali sites what South Africa recently did to pull the plug on a toxic commercial.
The hosts have a laugh and delve deep into this contemporary food and drink coversation.
Connect with us on:
Instagram: This Podcast is Delicious
8. Flower Power44:52Flower PowerAli Hassan & Marco Timpano take us on a floral journey, how to use flowers in your cocktails and in your various dishes. A Sneak-Peek:[1:00] Ali and Marco debate the seasons.[3:30] What is your favourite flower? [8:00] Hibiscus - great for cocktails, dried, and syrups.[11:50] Peonies - how much can you actually eat?[12:30] A light touch with Roses.[15:20] The pop of colour you might want on your cocktail.[16:39] Cornflower, and what to do with?[18:12] Nasturtium Gimlet recipe. [20:32] Lavender and it as a syrup recipe. [21:31] Poor man’s saffron.[24:40] Cherry Blossoms — raw or candied.[26:42] Chamomile Grappa recipe.[30:12] Dandelions — more than just salads.[32:12] Back to Lavender.[34:12] Squash Blossoms, stuff em, fry them, use them in soups.[40:12] Marco plants his herbs in his front garden.[42:12] Ali tells his Mezcal story.[42:12] Ali tells his Mezcal story.Quotes:“Life can be bitter, so should you salad.” - Marco“Happy Summer” - AliConnect with us on:Twitter: @podisdelciousInstagram: This Podcast is DeliciousWeb: thispodcastisdelicious
7. Let's Chaat01:00:18Let’s ChaatAli Hassan & Marco Timpano chat about the wonderful snack Chaat and the delicious beverage both salt and sweet the incredible Lassi. A Sneak-Peek:[00:30] Ali thinks it’s summer, Marco disagrees. [01:15] Marco talks about Hawaii and Ali talks about his trip to The Yukon. [05:21] Marco explains why Hawaii can be dangerous for him. [07:30] Why Marco’s wife doesn’t eat bugs. [09:30] Chaat discussion. [22:53] Ali talks about fart powder or black salt. [24:00] Explains the different types of Chaat.[27:50] Ali explains why salt is added onto fruit. [32:00] Marco talks about the Lassi.[34:30] The salty version of Lassi. [35:40] White butter or Clotted cream.[41:19] Marco gets excited about a Lassi di Buffala. [42:45] Marco talks about different types of Lassi.[44:30] Marco flips his lid over the Bhang Lassi.[50:30] Lassi Recipe.[56:53] Final thoughts on Lassi.Twitter: @podisdelciousInstagram: This Podcast is DeliciousWeb: thispodcastisdelicious
6. Salad Dressing & Pinot Grigio37:27Salad Dressing & Pinot GrigioAli Hassan & Marco Timpano are your hosts and they take you through how you can make your own delicious salad dressing, save money, healthy and tasty salad toppings and the perfect wine pairing. On today’s episode you get the 101 on Pinot Grigio.A Sneak-Peek:[1:00] Ali and Marco discuss clothes that are hanging around. [3:15] Making your own salad dressing is cost effective. [6:00] Marco laments over Italian Olive oil. [08:50] Ali gives his recipe for his salad dressings. [09:50] Marco gives his poppy seed tip.[12:10] Ali tells us about Nicoise salad.[16:00] Ali talks about the Pikliz salad.[20:12] Marco brings a white wine to podcast today. [24:32] Marco explains the difference between Pinot Grigio and Pinot Gris.[25:31] Casual food pairs well with Pinot Grigio.[27:00] Top 5 things to eat with Pinot Grigio.[29:00] Marco drops the mic with his last pairng.[31:12] Ali talks about his gout. Marco determines if Ali does infant have gout.[35:00] We go back to salad dressing items and ask what is your summertime drink that goes with salad. Quotes:“You sound like someone who grew up in the Great Depression” - Ali“You’re mashing it like it owes you money” - MarcoConnect with us on:Twitter: @podisdelciousInstagram: This Podcast is DeliciousWeb: thispodcastisdelicious
5. Cheese47:42Cheese PleaseAli Hassan & Marco Timpano melt your hearts on today’s episode where they talk about Cheese.A Sneak-Peek:[2:00] Ali takes us through a cheese journey.[7:15] Ali takes us through the Meltability of Cheese and the science behind it. [10:00] The cheeses that don’t melt. [11:50] Ali lists good melty cheeses and where Gruyère comes from. [13:50] What happens when a Croque Monsieur gets an egg?[16:10] Cheese caves and how to pronounce Gouda.[19:59] Don’t suffocate your cheese.[20:12] Grilled Cheese. [24:32] Cheese boards.[29:31] Cocktails that pair with Cheese (see below for the whole list).[34:40] Ali explains the Michelada.[41:42] Marco tells the difference between Tequila and Mezcal.[42:12] Ali tells his Mezcal story.Cheese and Cocktail pairing:GIN & TONICGin & Tonics pair well with soft and creamy cheeses and white moulded cheeses like brie Camenbert and blue cheeses.Honourable mentions: Stilton cheese and those cheeses that are crusted with herbs. BLOODY MARY /Bloody CaesarBloody Mary's goes quite well with any cheeses that pair well with tomatoes, think dry, or Italian cheeses like Parmigiano or mozzarella, ricotta and even goat cheese.Honourable mention: Burrata.NEGRONIThe Negroni pairs perfectly with any aged gouda will compensate and when you combine the two you get a delicious combination of fruit and nuttiness on the nose with a light, refreshing finish on the palate.Honourable mention: Charcuterie board.OLD FASHIONED The Old Fashioned pairs with a variety of cheeses, The sweetness and caramel notes go well hardy aged cheddar, Grana padano or an alpine-style like Gruyère, Emmental, Raclette, Comté, Appenzeller and Beaufort. These nutty semi-hard cheeses will hold up to the strength of the whiskey.Honourable mention: if your gonna fondue and you don’t want wine start with an Old Fashioned.MEZCAL MARGARITAWhen we talk Mexcalarita we go funky — Pair it with that gold standard of sheep’s cheese the pecorino. The smoky and earthy Mezcal Margarita.”goes perfect with Manchego, AsiagoHonourable mention: Halloumi & Feta.Quote: “It’s like Pavlov’s Dog at the other end of this podcast” - MarcoConnect with us on:Twitter: @podisdelciousInstagram: This Podcast is DeliciousWeb: thispodcastisdelicious
4. The Green Episode44:43The Green EpisodeAli Hassan & Marco Timpano share their personal connection to the this green episode. Perhaps their most controversial episode to date. Quotes:“He’s making money hand over foot” AliResource Link:Connect with us on:Twitter: @podisdelciousInstagram: This Podcast is DeliciousWeb: thispodcastisdelicious
3. Falafel and Grenadine37:05FalafelAli Hassan & Marco Timpano share their personal connection to the might falafel. A Sneak-Peek:[02:58] Marco confesses his ignorance on the falafel. [5:00] Ali tells how he makes falafel and if that qualifies as actually “making it”.[6:15] Ali shares his “falafel tipping point” experience. [12:20] Ali has a Shepherd’s Bush story. [17:20] We deconstruct the Falafel. [22:00] Marco goes on a Thiamine tangent.[26:26] Grenadine recipe.Recipe:Grenadine:Pomegranate juice, sugar, and lemon juice are the three ingredients 2 cups pomegranate juice 2 cups granulated sugar 1 lemonIn a saucepan, combine the pomegranate juice and sugar. Add lemon peels citrus peels to the boiling pomegranate juice and sugar.Bring to a slow boil, stirring constantly until all of the sugar is dissolved.Reduce the heat and cover.Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.Cool and the lemon juice from that lemon to the syrupBikini MartiniCoconut Rum: Malibu RumVodka:Pineapple JuiceGrenadine • 2 oz. coconut rum • 2 oz. pineapple juice • 1 oz. vodka • Ice • 0.5 oz. grenadine1. Combine coconut rum, pineapple juice, vodka, and a few ice cubes in a cocktail shaker and shake until cold. 2. Strain into martini glasses and slowly pour 1/2 ounce of grenadine into each glass.Bikini Martini MocktailTo make the virgin version of this Bikini Martini you will need:5 oz pineapple juice 3 oz coconut water 1 oz grenadine + iceQuotes:“Scratch is Scratch my brother Scratch is Scratch” - AliConnect with us on:Twitter: @podisdelciousInstagram: This Podcast is DeliciousWeb: thispodcastisdelicious
2. Appropriate...or Appropriation?47:56Cuisine AppropriationAli Hassan & Marco Timpano tackle the complex topic of cuisine appropriation with passion and a bit of humour. A Sneak-Peek:[00:58] Ali talks about his recent road trip and the food on the road. [6:00] Ali is disappointed in the Ghost Pepper McNuggets.[9:50] Marco is trying to bring the word consume back. [11:00] Cultural appropriation in cuisine, the hosts give their perspective. [18:50] Ali shares the story of the Portlandian Karens. [21:50] Marco gives his opinion on being able to share stories from within your own nation. [30:00] Ali shares some interesting thoughts how this has impacted his families perspective .[36:05] Marco raises the question is a Tiki Bar too far?[42:12] The Cobra Fang cocktail. Recipe:COBRA’s FANG COCKTAIL 1 1/2 ounces dark Jamaican rum 1/2 ounce 151-proof demerara rum 1/2 ounce falernum 1/2 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed 1/2 ounce orange juice, freshly squeezed 1/2 ounce fassionola syrup 1 dash absinthe 1 dash Angostura bitters Garnish: lime wheel Garnish: mint spring Add all ingredients except the garnishes to a shaker and shakeStrain into a tropical glass using a Hawthorne strainer. Add fresh ice and garnish with orange slice and Pineapple Spears, or line wheel, mint sprig. Mentioned links:https://www.tasteatlas.com/best/cuisinesQuotes:“Portlandian, Portlandi ” - AliConnect with us on:Twitter: @podisdelciousInstagram: This Podcast is DeliciousWeb: thispodcastisdelicious
1. That's Amore43:04Taste AtlasSeason 4 is here and Ali Hassan & Marco Timpano discuss taste Atlas World’s Best Cuisine and whether or not it is possible to actually name a country with the best cuisine. Marco uncovers Chianti. A Sneak-Peek:[00:58] Ali and Marco talk about Atlas World’s Best Cuisine. [7:00] Marco and Ali discuss where certain countries land on the list.[8:15] Marco explains why Italy is a hub for great cuisine. [18:20] Ali talks about how he hates food waste. [21:20] Marco gives a Chianti 101 lesson. [25:00] The terroir debate[31:50] The Sangiovese grape.[38:00] Ali puts Marco on the spot - asking what his favourite pasta is.Mentioned links:https://www.tasteatlas.com/best/cuisinesQuotes:“Go forward and enjoy your Sangiovese” - MarcoConnect with us on:Twitter: @podisdelciousInstagram: This Podcast is DeliciousWeb: thispodcastisdelicious
23. New Year & Holiday episode42:00Holiday & New Year EpsiodeMarco and Ali celebrate the last episode of the season talking about their traditions and things that are done around the world. Also a look at the New Year and what they both consume over these holidays.A Sneak-Peek:[02:58] Marco tells of his New Year’s food tradition with his in-laws much to Ali’s dismay.[8:33] Ali suggests what Marco is talking about is actually called “Hoppin’ John” .[11:30] Marco explains the Feast of Saturnalia. [13:17] Oil Balls.[15:00] Good Luck Pigs. [17:00] Cotechino con lenticchie[21:30] Ali explains how he kinda celebrates Christmas. [32:20] Ali talks about Chinese food during the holiday.[34:00] Marco asks Ali what he drinks at the stroke of midnight on New Years. [38:40] Ali tells us of his son’s Santa list.[39:50] Gifted red underwear for New Years.Mentioned links:Marsh Landing Restaurant in Fellsmere FLConnect with us on:Twitter: @podisdelciousInstagram: This Podcast is DeliciousWeb: thispodcastisdelicious