Bro Nouveau Podcast
Heal Your Relationship with Yourself, with J Stamatelos
064- J Stamatelos is a professionally certified coach who helps people break out of fear so they can share their gifts with the world. J’s work focuses on “anxious insecurity” - a chronic feeling of insecurity that causes people to feel “never enough”. J’s coaching is based on academic research and data-driven approaches, and he personally lived through this hell and learned how to overcome it.
A note from Thomas: I have become increasingly skeptical of coaches due to the sheer volume of individuals peddling services to improve mental health, without any type of professional licensure. J is a notable exception to this norm and I am pleased to present this conversation.
1:30 - how common is self-loathing?
9:00 - tolerating vs celebrating ourselves and other people
29:00 - myths about men
35:00 - community codependency
50:00 - Why is J not a therapist? & overview of common therapy modalities
61:02 - Conversation Game
- Thomas’ Question: Who has supported me at my most vulnerable moments?
- J’s Question: How do you tend to react when you get hurt?
View all episodes
108. Media Literacy and American Politics with John Pierce01:00:53108 - John Pierce is a public sector servant and consultant, having worked for the cities of Philadelphia, Alexandria and San Francisco, as well as consulting for national governments.Timestamps: 3:00 - Media Literacy; choosing information sources. Vaccine hesitancy, Jared Kushner, Russia & Ukraine, Israel & Palestine 13:00 - Pernicious Ideologies & How to Engage with them. Examples: American Civil War22:00 - Conspiratorial thinking is selfish 28:00 - Are the conventional understandings of liberalism and conservatism accurate? 2-Party realignment in the 1960s, welfare state, 40:00 - Civil Rights post 2020; improving outcomes for the poor and people of color. Potential solutions; funding education, entrepreneurship 54:00 - How impactful is the money going to Ukraine on the US Budget? 56:00 - Morality ; being a good man Items Referenced: AllSides.comAnti-Intellectualism in American Life
107. James Marshall, Professional Rugby Player & Host of the What a Lad Podcast52:19107 - James Marshall is a retired professional rugby player from New Zealand and the host of the What a Lad Podcast. James amassed nearly 200 professional rugby appearances, including more than 50 caps for the Hurricanes in the top flight of professional rugby in New Zealand, and was part of the Super Rugby winning side in 2016. James is now a coach at the mighty Crusaders of Canterbury, the most successful club rugby team in the world, where he helped bring him a sixth consecutive Super Rugby title. What a Lad is an interview show that hands the mic to many all time greats of New Zealand rugby union and league, as well as other sports stars from around the world. James has put out more than 200 episodes of What a Lad, where he gives these athletes a platform to express themselves and be authentic.Timestamps: 6:00 - building trust with guests; mental health in professional rugby10:00 - Getting a job as a podcast host14:00- Developing listening skills20:00 - Journey to full professionalism32:00- Concussions in rugby41:00 - Success in long-term relationship45:00 - Rugby World Cup 2023What a Lad Podcast: https://whatalad.podbean.com/Bro Nouveau Podcast on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@bronouveau
106. Addiction, Honesty and Angels with Tate Barkley50:36Michael “Tate” Barkley is an attorney and author of the upcoming memoir, “Sunday Dinners, Moonshine and Men”. Timestamps: 2:00 - What was the impetus to write a book, and why a memoir? 8:00 - What were the factors in your childhood that left you susceptible to addiction? ; Do you miss drinking? 19:00 - How boys are taught to communicate and disrespect boundaries 29:00 - Life is easier when you are honest 35:00 - Rock bottom; moving home, suicidal ideation and finding rehab 41:00 - Angels; people giving a lifeline Tate’s website: https://tatebarkley.com/Bro Nouveau on YouTube
105. Pete Taylor of the Awakened Man Project50:11105 - Pete Taylor is a British entrepreneur with a background in design and architecture. In 2022 he walked away from a successful business and co-founded the Awakened Man Project.Timestamps: 1:00 - “menswork” concept - how much is too much?5:00 - Pete’s backstory - growing up with a growth condition 10:00 - Moving beyond self-improvement exclusively in fitness; the importance of having a close group of guy friends 19:00 - Identifying & Defining an “elevated” man 22:00 - Resisting Pornography 41:00 - What is the Awakened Man Item's ReferencedStutzThe Awakened Man ProjectPete Taylor on LinkedInBro Nouveau on YouTube
Bro Nouveau Classics: Episode 75 with Bobby Andaya57:02From October 2022--075 - Bobby Andaya is an American-Filipino entrepreneur. He is the head coach and owner of Hieroglyph Fitness on the Island of Palawan in the Philippines.Prior to establishing CrossFit Hieroglyph in 2016, he served 7 years as a U.S. Federal Law Enforcement Officer, and 6 years in the U.S. Military.Thomas and Bobby discuss why he exited a lucrative career in the federal government, living in a developing country, returning home to the Philippines, preventing burnout, and how Bobby defines his values as a husband and father.Timestamps:1:00 - Intro - Bobby’s Career in the Military and Federal Law Enforcement 5:00 - Life in the Philippines and on Palawan 9:00 - Living in a developing country & the beauty in the struggle 15:00 - The fable of the segali and the ant 18:30 - developing introspection 34:00 - Integrity & staying faithful 39:00 - The Bay Area 49:99 - What does it mean to be a good man? Hieroglyph FitnessHieroglyph Fitness on InstagramBobby's Vacation Rental in El Nido
104. Understanding Trauma as a Biological Injury with Dr. Shauna Springer53:25Dr. Shauna Springer – known as “Doc Springer” in the veteran community, is one of the nation's leading experts on PTSD and transitional trauma. In addition to speaking and writing engagements, Dr. Springer is Chief Psychologist at Stella, a health care organization on the cutting edge of biological interventions and psychedelic therapy for treatment of severe trauma exposure. Dr. Springer holds a PhD in Counseling Psychology. Timestamps: 1:30 - Podcasting 5:00 - Bids for Attention in relationship and day-to-day interactions; “phubbing” 10:00 - Profile of someone who experienced childhood trauma; creating a protector image 16:00 - universal impact of trauma; all walks of life 19:00 - Extroversion vs Introversion: introverts are not unfriendly 34:00 - Trauma as a biological injury; ketamine therapy Stellacenter.com40:00 - Psychedelic Medicine vs mindfulness47:00 - Therapeutic Modalities Items Referenced: Doc Springer's Website: https://www.docshaunaspringer.com/Stella: https://stellacenter.com/Free Range Psychology (Psychology Today): https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/free-range-psychology
103. The Rule of Law and Public Defense, with Duncan Varda01:06:59Duncan Varda is a criminal defense attorney in Kentucky focused on litigating felony cases. Prior to becoming an attorney, Duncan served as a Foreign Service Officer in South America, North Africa, and the Middle East, and is a Marine Corps veteran with multiple combat deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan.Timestamps: 1:00 - What is DPA? - Kentucky Dept of Public Advocacy; 7:30 - Duncan’s path: Marine Corps -> State Dept-> Pubic Defense 15:00 - What is the rule of law and how does it affect our lives? 24:00 - Overcharging & Wrongful Imprisonment 37:00 - Policing 47:00 - Qualified Immunity Kentucky Department of Public Advocacy: https://dpa.ky.gov/who-we-are/National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers: https://www.nacdl.org/National Association for Public Defense: https://www.publicdefenders.us/Gideon’s Promise: https://www.gideonspromise.org/
Conor Sullivan: Leverage your Network for Personal and Professional Success47:36102- Conor Sullivan is the Vice President of Client Excellence at The Endurance Group, a consulting firm that unlocks opportunities for clients by revealing and leveraging authentic relationships. Timestamps: 1:00 - Intro & Conor’s professional background; what makes a good podcast episode? 9:00 - Conor’s experience working with Teach for America; path to education as a profession23:00 - Social Capital 30:00 - Social Capital Outreach vs Cold Outreach; Importance of Connection Post-Covid42:00 - Being a Good ManThe Endurance GroupConor on LinkedInBro Nouveau on YouTube