Book of Leaves
A Journey to Veganism via an inside look into Irish farms & slaughterhouses - Niamh C
I stumbled across Niamh's story via Earthy Cáilíní on Instagram. Niamh is now working as a vet and began her studies as a meat loving omnivore, to finish them as a vegan, influenced to change by what she saw during her placement. I asked her to come and chat about her story and as animal welfare is something very close to her heart, she was more than happy to come on. It's a heavy episode, but an important one.
- [04:20] Environmental impacts of animal agriculture.
- [09:30] Niamh introduces herself.
- [13:50] The first class in which she began to question things.
- [18:50] A pig farm.
- [28:50] A sheep farm.
- [35:10] Chicken farming.
- [44:30] Disease & antibiotics.
- [55:00] A dairy farm.
- [01:04:00] Religious slaughter in Ireland.
- [01:10:40] Slaughterhouse workers.
- [01:14:00] How Niamh deals with euthanasia in work.
- [01:18:00] Niamh's other eco habits & random questions.
- Book - Attached
- Book - Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker.
- Episode 104 of Plant Proof with Nicholas Carter - the resources referenced at this link are also worth checking out!
- Vegan Calculator.
Calls To Action:
Go Vegan - Sign up to Challenge 22 for free where you'll get nutrition tutoring. If you can't go vegan, try base your diet on as many plant based foods as possible. If you need help or want more suggested resources for this, please get in touch!
Get active with protest groups. We need system and policy change. Message them to get involved!
NARA (National Animal Rights Association) have been doing brilliant work in Ireland from getting fur farming banned to now working on the banning of hare coursing.
Animal Rebellion Ireland (groups exist worldwide too) are calling for a transition to a plant based food system for the sake of the planet as well as animals. As talked about in episode 44 with Zac Lumley, non violent civil disobedience is an extremely effective tactic and that's what ARI are about.
Support investigative journalism like Noteworthy.ie who have specific call-outs for various campaigns.
Donate to, and volunteer for, animal sanctuaries like Eden, Little Ones Microsanctuary, Back Into Daylight and Heartstone Veganic Sanctuary.
Sign petitions, like this one to stop the proposed development of another pig factory farm.