The Black Country Blokes
Empowering Hope: Mental Health Journey and Coping Strategies with Ben Barlow
Welcome to Black Country Blokes, where we have real conversations about mental health. In this episode, we are joined by Ben Barlow, a 24-year-old NHS Expert by Experience trainer and mental health advocate. Ben shares his personal journey with complex-PTSD and recurrent depression, including numerous suicide attempts, inpatient stays, and his road to recovery.
Ben also discusses his coping strategies, including how kickboxing and boxing have been a significant outlet for him, as well as his interests in cars and gaming. Additionally, he talks about his public speaking business, BenTalksMH, where he shares his story to empower hope and encourage others to speak up about their mental health.
Join us for this insightful conversation on mental health, coping mechanisms, and empowering hope. Don't forget to like, share, and subscribe to our channel for more content like this.
Hashtags: #MentalHealthAwareness #EmpoweringHope #BlackCountryBlokes #BenTalksMH #NHSExpertTrainer #ComplexPTSD #RecurrentDepression #CopingMechanisms #SuicidePrevention #PublicSpeaking
View all episodes
195. Empowering Lives: Discover U Charity's Impact on Adults with Learning Difficulties32:04Join us for a deeply moving episode of The Black Country Blokes podcast as we welcome Jen Bradley from Discover U, a remarkable registered charity nestled in Wollaston and Stourbridge town centre. Discover U is on a mission to transform the lives of adults (16+) with learning difficulties who have encountered daunting employment barriers.In this conversation, Jen sheds light on Discover U's inspiring work, centered on providing invaluable work-related experiences to adults with additional needs and those facing similar challenges due to physical disabilities. Their day opportunities encompass diverse areas, including empowering workshops, a welcoming retail store, a cozy tea room, and an advanced I.T. and Media suite.Discover U's vision is to build a compassionate and inclusive society where adults with learning difficulties can lead lives filled with dignity, independence, and meaningful connections. Their commitment to tailored programs and support services nurtures individual strengths, fosters personal growth, and enhances overall well-being.Through advocacy, education, and community engagement, Discover U strives to dismantle barriers and promote understanding, ultimately working towards a world where every individual's potential is recognized and celebrated, leaving no one behind.Join us in this episode to discover how Discover U is making a difference and empowering those often overlooked in our society. #DiscoverU #Empowerment #Inclusion #LearningDifficulties #BlackCountryBlokes #Advocacy #CommunityEngagement #NoOneLeftBehind
194. Inspiring Stories from Priory Park Boxing Club01:07:45In this week's riveting episode of The Black Country Blokes Podcast, we are thrilled to take you on a journey into the heart of Priory Park Boxing Club, an exceptional institution dedicated to changing lives and strengthening communities. Join us as we sit down with two remarkable individuals, Peter Upton and Warren Davies, who have been instrumental in the club's profound impact.At Priory Park Boxing Club, the mission transcends the boundaries of a traditional boxing gym. It's a place where people of all ages, genders, and backgrounds come together to discover their strength, resilience, and potential. Beyond the ropes, this club offers a diverse range of activities, including fitness classes and health and nutrition programs. Imagine a place where individuals with Autism, ADHD, Anxiety, and physical disabilities find a welcoming and inclusive environment to thrive. Priory Park Boxing Club has not only envisioned this but has turned it into a reality. Their dedication goes beyond physical fitness; it's about fostering mental and emotional well-being, instilling confidence, and helping individuals overcome their unique challenges.Join us in this episode of The Black Country Blokes Podcast as we delve into the heartwarming stories, extraordinary achievements, and profound impact of Priory Park Boxing Club. Discover how this club continues to shape lives, create champions, and inspire all of us to reach new heights. #BlackCountryBlokes #PrioryParkBoxingClub #CommunityChamp
193. 🗣️ Exploring the Unsung Heroes of Men's Mental Health Support in Your Local Community36:53In this week's episode of The Black Country Blokes podcast, we're diving deep into an important topic that affects men's mental health: the vital role played by barbers, bar staff, and sports coaches. Our special guest, Billy from Goodlife Barbers Birmingham, joins us for an insightful conversation about how these community figures often become unofficial therapists and councillors for men.Join us as we discuss:✂️ The unique bond between barbers and clients – a safe space for open conversations.🍻 The bar staff who lend a listening ear during late-night chats.🏋️♂️ How sports coaches can instil discipline, confidence, and camaraderie.Discover how these everyday heroes help break down the stigma surrounding men's mental health and provide crucial support. Are they inadvertently therapists? Tune in to find out!#MensMentalHealth #CommunitySupport #Barbers #Therapists #PodcastEpisode #GoodlifeBarbers #BarStaff #SportsCoaches #TheBlackCountryBlokes
192. Guess Who's Back?27:31After an extended break, the lads are back to catch up with what has been happening in the world of mental health and disability.
191. Empowering Families with Brierley Hill Babybank50:37In this heartfelt episode of The Black Country Blokes, we shine a spotlight on the incredible work of Brierley Hill Babybank. Since its establishment in February 2019, this inspiring initiative has been a lifeline for families in the community facing financial hardships while adjusting to life with a new baby.With the support of generous donations from the local community and secured grant funding, Brierley Hill Babybank has already touched the lives of over 630 families. By taking referrals from NHS health professionals, family support services, and community organizations, they ensure that essential items reach those who need them the most.Volunteers, fueled by passion and dedication, play a pivotal role in creating beautifully gift-wrapped packs that include new toiletries and other essentials for moms-to-be and families with children under two years old. Every Moses basket is provided with a brand-new mattress, adhering to guidelines outlined by The Lullaby Trust for safer sleeping against sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).Beyond their core mission, Brierley Hill Babybank extends support to families on a 1-2-1 basis, inviting them to be part of the sorting and packing process. In this close-knit family, additional support, confidence, and guidance for the future are offered.Join us as we engage in a heartfelt conversation with the passionate individuals behind Brierley Hill Babybank and learn how they are making a tangible difference in their community, one baby essential at a time.#BrierleyHillBabybank #CommunitySupport #HelpingFamilies #BabyEssentials #VolunteerOpportunities #CharityWork #PovertyRelief #PodcastInterview
190. Unlocking Mental Fitness with Moon Li43:08Join us for an enlightening episode of The Black Country Blokes as we welcome Moon Li, an accredited Mental Fitness coach and facilitator, to the podcast. With an impressive background working with leadership teams from renowned companies like John Lewis and Partners, Revantage Global, and Siemens, Moon specializes in enhancing Mental Fitness for improved performance and a greater impact.In this episode, we delve into Moon's expertise in coaching high-achieving professionals, helping them overcome imposter syndrome, and fostering a meaningful and balanced lifestyle. We explore the challenges faced by high-performers and discover effective strategies to unlock their full potential.Moon's journey from China to the UK in 2018 brings a unique perspective to her work. As an active volunteer coach for the national UK charity Shaw Trust, she is dedicated to assisting individuals in returning to the workforce. Beyond her professional endeavors, Moon finds joy in exploring world cuisines, cooking, embracing nature, indulging in music, and immersing herself in the captivating world of true crime documentaries.Join us for an engaging conversation as we tap into Moon's wealth of knowledge and experience, unravel the secrets of Mental Fitness, and discover how to navigate the challenges of imposter syndrome while cultivating a fulfilling life.#MentalFitness #ImposterSyndrome #HighAchievers #WorkLifeBalance #LeadershipDevelopment #PersonalGrowth #Coaching #PodcastInterview
189. Tyson Fury vs Francis Ngannou - Clash of Combat Sports Titans24:31Join us for a riveting episode of The Black Country Blokes as we dive into the much-anticipated showdown between Tyson Fury and Francis Ngannou. Set for October 28th, this boxing match has sparked intense debates within the combat sports community.In this episode, we delve into the controversy surrounding this clash between a top heavyweight boxer and a renowned MMA star. Is it fair for the two disciplines to cross paths? Should a fighter at the pinnacle of the heavyweight division be stepping into the ring with an MMA powerhouse? We'll explore the arguments from both sides and dissect the potential implications for both sports.As we delve into this heated topic, we'll also discuss the love-hate relationship many have with professional boxing. Despite its allure and rich history, boxing often finds itself under scrutiny for various reasons. We'll explore the nuances of the sport and examine the criticisms it faces, while acknowledging the undeniable passion it evokes in its fanbase.Join us for an engaging conversation as we analyze the upcoming bout, weigh the arguments, and navigate the complex relationship between professional boxing and MMA.#TysonFury #FrancisNgannou #BoxingVsMMA #ClashOfTitans #CombatSports #HeavyweightDivision #LoveToHate #ProBoxing
188. Empowering Children and Youth with Luke from Wild 'n' Well55:15Join us for another exciting episode of The Black Country Blokes as we sit down with Luke from Wild 'n' Well. Luke, a fully trained Professional Youth Worker, Qualified Counsellor, and Forest School Leader with a Masters in Child Welfare and Wellbeing, brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to support children and young people.Through Wild N' Well Outdoors, Luke combines his diverse skill set to inspire and empower children and youth to reach their full potential in ways that resonate with them. With a deep passion for supporting the health and wellbeing of individuals, Luke understands the importance of positive experiences and personal growth.In this episode, we delve into the transformative power of nature, counselling, and youth work in enhancing the lives of young people. Luke shares his personal journey, having experienced struggles firsthand, and highlights the significance of creating meaningful connections and providing opportunities for positive development.Don't miss this enlightening conversation as we explore the remarkable work of Wild 'n' Well and the profound impact it has on the lives of children and youth.#WildNWell #YouthEmpowerment #NatureTherapy #ChildWellbeing #PositiveExperiences #Counselling #YouthWork #Inspiration
187. Addressing the Cost of Living Crisis with Jenny from Black Country Food Bank29:55Join us for another insightful episode of The Black Country Blokes, where we sit down with Jenny from Black Country Food Bank to shed light on the pressing issue of the cost of living crisis. As living expenses continue to rise, the Black Country Food Bank plays a vital role in helping vulnerable individuals and families in crisis by providing emergency food and toiletry supplies. However, with the growing number of people seeking assistance, we explore the challenges faced by the food bank in meeting the increasing demand and the difficulties encountered when it comes to people making donations.Discover how this Christian-based charitable organization, established in 2006, has become a lifeline for local people in need. Through food vouchers issued to referral partners, individuals experiencing hardship can access essential supplies at the food bank's distribution points. Regardless of age, background, religion, or ethnicity, everyone is treated with fairness and dignity.During the distribution process, the project team offers not just food packages, but also a warm drink and a supportive environment for individuals to share their stories. Additionally, the food bank strives to connect them with other professionals who can assist in overcoming their crisis.Join us in this episode as we delve into the work of Black Country Food Bank and gain valuable insights into the cost of living crisis and the ongoing efforts to support those in need.#BlackCountryFoodBank #CostOfLivingCrisis #EmergencyFoodSupplies #CommunitySupport #DonationChallenges #HelpingThoseInNeed