Yours in Marketing
Ross Simmonds: Content Strategy Doesn't Stop When You Hit Publish
On this week's episode, I speak with Ross Simonds, the CEO and Digital Marketing Strategist at Foundation Marketing. Ross is an extremely active entrepreneur and has numerous side projects including Hustle and Grind. We discuss why content strategy doesn't stop when you hit "publish", how distribution is a "game-changer" for any type of content, and the future of social media.
- Ross's current projects and ventures.
- Ross's background and journey into the marketing sphere.
- How blogging drives growth in building a brand.
- Biggest differences between building a brand now and when Ross first started.
- Game-changing content distribution tips for marketers.
- The time-frame for "optimal growth" after publishing content.
- Common misconceptions around content distribution.
- Examples of great content distribution strategies.
- The "Sherlock-Homeboy" effect.
- Advice for creating content to build a successful brand.
- The importance of experimentation in creating content.
- Key failures to learn from when creating content.
- Types of content that generate the greatest potential ROI.
- The hardest platform to currently have the biggest impact.
- The next "big thing" in social media.
- Podcasting: a strategic platform for the future.
- Predictions on fading social media platforms.
- Video: The future of content for all channels
- Steps to take for landing speaking engagements.
- Tips on creating great presentation topics.
- Keys to juggling multiple ventures at the same time.
- C.R.E.A.M: How things get done.
- Ross' "call-to-action" on content strategy.
3 Key Points:
- Distribution of content is just as important as the creation of content.
- Focusing on creating content that withstands the test of time.
- Listen and be aware of trends in social media and create and distribute content based on those trends.
- "Oftentimes we get caught up in the idea that once we press publish on a piece of content I've succeeded... but in reality, that's when the livelihood of your article really begins." - Ross Simonds
- "Distribution is, without question, the most underrated element of the content marketing process." - Ross Simonds
- "If you are creating content that's reaching masses, you have the ability to shape the way that they view their world." - Ross Simonds
- "Spend as much time distributing your content as you did, creating it." - Ross Simonds