Yours in Marketing
Mark Schaefer: How to Humanize Your Marketing
On this week's episode, I speak with Mark Schaefer, the Executive Director at Shaefer Marketing Solutions. Mark is a marketing thought leader, teacher at Rutgers University, writer, blogger, podcaster, and influencer. We talk about how "influencer" marketing is not the "Enron" of marketing, how you can humanize your marketing efforts, and the upcoming "rebellion" in marketing and, preparing for it.
- Mark discusses his various interests, platforms, and avenues of influence.
- Mark's background in behavioral science and its influence on marketing.
- Strategies for approaching a variety of structures within organizations.
- Correlations between teaching and marketing.
- Mark's career journey from when he "fell in love" with marketing to current.
- Moving from a big company to working on your own.
- The gap in focus from 2008 to 2019.
- Defining the "marketing rebellion" and premise for Mark's book.
- The current dramatic shift that's occurring in the marketing world.
- From concept to finished work: the process of writing a book.
- The "amplification" of consumer behavior and its effect on marketing.
- The current state and relevance of influencer marketing.
- Impact and evolution of engagement in marketing.
- How analytics and data fit into humanizing marketing.
- "Waking up" to the impact technology has on our customers.
- Great examples of companies "doing it right" with customer engagement.
- How to make your customer, the marketer.
- Core beliefs for successful social media marketing.
- The importance of trust in marketing.
- Foundational steps for "getting booked" as a speaker.
- Advice for marketers just starting out in their career.
3 Key Points:
- It's critical to continue to learn new things and push yourself to be in a constant state of reinvention.
- It's important to "stay awake" to shifts that are occurring in marketing day-to-day.
- Making good decisions and doing the "right" thing will win in the end.
- “Marketers have become too obsessed with technology and their Martech stack, and they've lost touch with real humans, real customers, and real emotions.” – Mark Schaefer
- "Two-thirds of our marketing is occurring without us.” – Mark Schaefer
- "This is not a time in marketing for iteration, this is the time for bold and dramatic change." - Mark Schaefer
- "Everytime businesses have tried to abuse and take advantage of consumers, the consumers have rebelled and they've won." - Mark Schaefer
- "All good marketing starts with data and research." - Mark Schaefer
- "Marketing Rebellion" by Mark Schaefer
- Businesses Grow
- The "Marketing Companion" Podcast
- "Known" by Mark Shaefer