Yours in Marketing
Kelly Glover: How to Get Booked on Podcasts
On this week's episode, I speak with Kelly Glover, the Founder of The Talent Squad. We focus the show on podcasting, specifically addressing if you are a company or individual that is trying to get booked onto podcasts. We talk about how to get booked on podcasts, the perfect elements for a "perfect" pitch, and how great podcasts grow their audience.
- Kelly's background in media and "talk show host" influence.
- Key differences between Australian and American schools.
- Internships that began to shape Kelly's career and her unique career path.
- Major differences between radio and podcasting.
- How the number of current podcasts affects the quality of content.
- The key factors for podcasting's rapid growth.
- Podcast's multi-faceted purposes and potential for even greater reach.
- Why you should "not" have a podcast.
- The 2 ways of approaching podcasting to be successful.
- The first step before attempting to pitch your brand.
- The key foundational elements to a great pitch.
- The "secret sauce" for getting a response from a pitch.
- The process for improving how you communicate your value.
- What should be on your "one-sheet" to peak the greatest interest?
- Key elements to have in your online press kit.
- How the ROI of podcasting stacks up vs. the ROI of a conference circuit.
- Strategies for preparing for your interview.
- Techniques for finding the "right" shows for you.
- The 1 strategy to take you to the "top tier" of pitches.
- Foundational steps to grow your podcast from "ground zero."
- Kelly's definition of "ROI" for podcasts.
- Key factors for shows attracting the right guests.
- Lessons to learn from podcasts that are growing well.
3 Key Points:
- Podcasting has been one of the fastest growing mediums in the last few years and companies are realizing it's incredible potential.
- You don't have to have a show to succeed and/or benefit from podcasts.
- Being successful in podcasting is knowing how to track ROI correctly and presenting yourself and your content effectively to the right audience.
- “People are starting to realize that sometimes the audience isn't actually the target of a podcast, it can actually be the guest on a show.” – Kelly Glover
- “You need to think of it in a different, more than just as questions and answers with commercials." – Kelly Glover
- "Do you want to throw 1 party a year, or be a guest at 50 parties a year.” – Kelly Glover
- "No one really cares about the person unless you're a start in your field, they actually care about the content and what you're going to teach the audience." - Kelly Glover
- "Treat yourself as a brand and as a media expert, and then your opportunities will be more frequent and bigger." - Kelly Glover