Yours in Marketing
Joel Harrison: ABM in B2B Marketing and Growing through Thought Leadership
On this week's episode, I speak with Joel Harrison, the Co-Founder and Editor-in-Chief of B2B.net. He's been in the B2B space for decades and really has much to share. We discuss the current state of B2B and what's important, the common thread between ABM, MarTech, and CX, and how to use thought leadership to build a trustworthy brand.
- Joel's background in urban planning and journey into marketing.
- Joel's early years in journalism.
- How marketing got "onto the radar."
- The ideas and challenges of starting a media-based company.
- Journalism's effect on the product.
- What is the draw to B2B?
- The most challenging part of being Editor-in-Chief.
- The most challenging aspect of being an Entrepreneur.
- Key efforts B2B leaders should be involved in, to positively affect their business.
- The Journey every marketer should go on.
- Key tactics for building your thought leadership.
- Other key tactics to build a loyal following.
- What is ABM?
- ABM model: different types and processes.
- The common thread between ABM, MarTech, and CX
- The Rise of behavioral economics
- Becoming a trusted brand in B2B
- Where in-house and B2B marketers "fall short."
3 Key Points:
- Being an entrepreneur is both challenging and rewarding, but totally worth the effort.
- It's critical to become the authority in your space to build your following.
- To build your brand and become a trusted source in your industry you must be authentic and be yourself.
- “We're only here once, and if you don't do this, it's not a rehearsal.” – Joel Harrison
- “It's about exposure therapy, just about putting yourself out there and starting small." – Joel Harrison
- "If you can speak authoritatively and clearly, representing the organization, then you will be taken seriously.” – Joel Harrison
- “Having gray hairs helps" – Joel Harrison