Yours in Marketing
Geoff Atkinson: How to Become a Structured Data Master
On this week's episode, I speak with Geoff Atkinson, the Founder and CEO of Huckabuy, an SEO software company. We dive into a number of technical aspects around SEO. We talk about optimizing for humans and search engines, and how to use structured data and schema to succeed in SEO.
- Geoff's background journey into digital marketing.
- How a "ski bum" got started in marketing.
- Advice on getting to the SVP level of your company.
- What made Geoff "fall in love" with SEO.
- Internal Navigational Search: the key reason for a spike in growth.
- The importance of structured data in SEO.
- The idea and foundations of Huckabuy.
- Defining structured data.
- The major ways structured data can be used.
- Focusing on JSON-LD for the future of structured data.
- Why does structured data and schema not get enough attention?
- Where to start on growing your technical SEO skillset.
- The natural move from developer to technical SEO marketer.
- Balancing between optimization for humans and search engines.
- Objections and responses to the importance of structured data.
- 2 SEO strategies that always bring results.
- The vision and reason behind SEO cloud.
- The concept and importance of Dynamic Rendering.
- Why you need faster page loads today and how to make it happen.
- The #1 skill every marketer should have.
- The reason you should check out Huckabye.
3 Key Points:
- Earlier in your career, experience and worth are more important than how much money you make.
- Combating the fear and nervousness around SEO can help you succeed in growing your skillset and your brand.
- Building relationships between your development departments and marketing can help to enhance SEO.