The New Story Is with Dave Ursillo
Be a Company of One with Paul Jarvis
Paul Jarvis reads from his book, Company of One: Why Staying Small is the Next Big Thing for Business.
The New Story Is was originally called Written, Spoken with Dave Ursillo, a podcast in which the written word came to life as the spoken word through the voices of the writers who wrote them.
Created and hosted by writer, author, and teacher of creative self-expression Dave Ursillo (DaveUrsillo.com, TheNewStory.Is), Written, Spoken was a creative experiment that blended mixed mediums to explore a new way of connecting with audiences.
The show's first two seasons remained archived and available for your listening enjoyment.
Season 2, Episode 7 of 'Written, Spoken' discusses Paul's work on the Internet for 20 years, starting out as a web designer and helping shape brands and projects for titans of industry, sports icons, and global brands. Ten years ago, he and his wife decided to leave city living—and the fast, busy lifestyle that came with it—behind, Paul reconnected with his true goals as a business owner: staying small, and not getting sucked into the trap of thinking that more is better.
In this interview, Paul and Dave discuss the core ideas of his book and how his personal and professional journey informed his new philosophy, including:
- Why some forms of growth can actually reduce your resilience and your autonomy in business and in life
- The #1 biggest change Paul has witnessed in his 20 years of working on the Internet
- His book-writing journey and why Paul, a prolific writer, considers himself a "sell-out" when it comes to writing
Paul is a designer, podcaster, and author who makes simple and humane products. Paul has worked with professional athletes like Steve Nash and Shaquille O’Neal, corporate giants like Microsoft and Mercedes-Benz, and entrepreneurs with online empires like Danielle LaPorte and Marie Forleo.
Subscribe now to our new show, The New Story Is, to join Dave on a journey that explores the shared stories and myths that shape our perceptions of life in our world today, including interviews and analysis from special guest interviewees who are championing the new stories of our time, for the good.
- Visit the author's online home at PJRVS.com
- Learn more about Dave at DaveUrsillo.com or follow Dave on Instagram
- Get coaching and consulting support from Dave and his company, The New Story Company
- Visit our podcast page at TheNewStory.Is/Podcast, where you can leave feedback and nominate a guest for our series
- The new theme song for The New Story Is is by Yrii Semchyshyn of Coma Media