The New Story Is with Dave Ursillo
Travel Writing with Marcello Di Cintio
Marcello Di Cintio reads an excerpt from Walls: Travels Along the Barricades, which was the winner of the 2013 City of Calgary W. O. Mitchell Book Prize and the 2013 Wilfred Eggleston Prize for Nonfiction. It was nominated for the 2013 British Columbia National Award for Nonfiction; the 2013 Charles Taylor Prize for Literary Nonfiction; the 2013 Alberta Readers' Choice Award, and named to The Globe and the Mail's List of the Top 100 Books of 2012.
The New Story Is was originally called Written, Spoken with Dave Ursillo, a podcast in which the written word came to life as the spoken word through the voices of the writers who wrote them.
Created and hosted by writer, author, and teacher of creative self-expression Dave Ursillo (DaveUrsillo.com, TheNewStory.Is), Written, Spoken was a creative experiment that blended mixed mediums to explore a new way of connecting with audiences.
The show's first two seasons remained archived and available for your listening enjoyment.
Season 2, Episode 2 of 'Written, Spoken' discusses Marcello's journey and how it began as a backpacking writer without a plan before eventually becoming a multi-award-winning author who works on the front lines of major and overlooked conflict zones throughout the world to affect social change.
Marcello and I discuss the author's relationship to writing in-depth, including what it means to "make change" in a world divided by walls, and much more:
- Do you find stories when you travel, or do the stories find you?
- How much of writing is really about empathy?
- Is it unprofessional or unethical to take a political stand when telling social and political stories in your writing?
Subscribe now to our new show, The New Story Is, to join Dave on a journey that explores the shared stories and myths that shape our perceptions of life in our world today, including interviews and analysis from special guest interviewees who are championing the new stories of our time, for the good.
- Please rate and review The New Story Is wherever you get your podcasts. It helps other listeners find and enjoy our show!
- Learn more about Dave at DaveUrsillo.com or follow Dave on Instagram
- Get coaching and consulting support from Dave and his company, The New Story Company
- Visit our podcast page at TheNewStory.Is/Podcast, where you can leave feedback and nominate a guest for our series
- The new theme song for The New Story Is is by Yrii Semchyshyn of Coma Media