SPECIAL: Democratic Debate Preview
Welcome to a Special Edition of Words Matter – Joe previews the first Democratic debates held this week on MSNBC in Miami. 20 candidates, 5 moderators, 4 hours total.
The Moderators will be Lester Holt, Savannah Guthrie, Chuck Todd, Rachel Maddow and José Díaz-Balart.
The first group of 10 appearing on Wednesday:
· Sen. Cory Booker of New Jersey
· Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts
· Former Rep. Beto O'Rourke of Texas
· Sen. Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota
· Former Rep. John Delaney of Maryland
· Rep. Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii
· Former Housing Secretary Julián Castro
· Rep. Tim Ryan of Ohio
· New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio
· Washington Gov. Jay Inslee
The second group of 10 appearing on Thursday:
· Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont
· Sen. Kamala Harris of California
· Former Vice President Joe Biden
· Mayor Pete Buttigieg of South Bend, Indiana
· Sen. Michael Bennet of Colorado
· Author Marianne Williamson
· Rep. Eric Swalwell of California
· Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand of New York
· Entrepreneur Andrew Yang
· Gov. John Hickenlooper of Colorado.
To qualify, candidates had to receive more than 65,000 individual donations — including from 200 unique donors per state in at least 20 states — or at least 1 percent in three polls approved by the Democratic National Committee. More than a dozen candidates crossed both thresholds, with at least 20 hitting at least one of them.