What are YOU going to do with THAT?
Episode 26 - Microaggressions in Academia (Dr. Broderick Sawyer)
What is "Microaggression"? How does it come into play in academia? What can we do to prevent or handle it?
In this special episode, Danni chats with Dr. Broderick Sawyer about microaggressions in academia. We have asked our followers on twitter to share with us their personal stories and experiences of microaggressions. In this episode we play 5 of those testimonials which Dr. Sawyer helps analyze using the ideas and philosophy of Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Freud.
- Lena talks about microaggressions against people with mental disorder.
- Jill (pseudonym, voiced by Nadège August) talks about microaggressions from a non-binary person's point of view.
- Rosalind (pseudonym, voiced by Meredith Castles) talks about gender based microaggression.
- Suparna talks about microaggression against ethnic minorities.
- Ana talks about microaggressions from the point of view of a foreign PhD student in China
Dr. Broderick Sawyer
On Twitter: @BroderickA88
We wish to thank Lena, Jill, Rosalind, Suparna, and Ana for sharing their stories and experiences with us. We also wish to thank Nadège and Meredith for helping Jill and Rosalind to maintain their anonymity.
Follow Meredith Castles on twitter: @meredithcastles
What are YOU going to do with THAT:
Host: Danni Reches (@DanniReches)
Producer and Editor: Ido Rosenzweig (@IdoRosenzweig)
Follow us on Twitter: @What2DoWithTHAT
Follow us on Facebook: @What2DoWithTHAT
Follow us on Instagram: @What2DoWithTHAT
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel for short videos by Danni:
Our website: www.what2dowiththat.com
Enjoy the episode!