The Songwriters Podcast
Eg White is a British musician, songwriter and producer and is one of the most successful and in-demand pop songwriters of the 21st Century.
He has written for the likes of Adele, Will Young, Pink, Florence and the Machine, Ellie Goulding, Sam Smith, Mary J Blige, Take That, Celine Dion and John Legend to name but a few. He is behind number one singles, has won two Ivor Novellos and a Grammy for his work and runs his own label.
Eg was a member and songwriter of the successful 80’s pop band Brother Beyond.
View all episodes
5. Don Black OBE37:06In this special bonus episode, we’re pleased to be joined by the legendary lyricist Don Black OBE. Don’s list of credits, awards and accolades goes back decades and right back up to the present day. From walls adorned with gold and platinum plaques and shelves decorated with six Ivor Novello Awards and a Golden Globe Award to five Oscars, Don Black is a stalwart in popular music. In this exclusive interview, Don takes us back to the moment he wrote Ben for Michael Jackson, the classic ode to friendship that made the world sing about a rodent. He also shares the story of some of his holy grail classics, including, Walk Away by Matt Munro, With One Look by Barbara Streisand, Tell Me On A Sunday by Marti Webb, and the five James Bond themes he penned, such as Diamonds Are Forever and Thunderball. The Songwriters Hall of Fame inductee and BMI Icon also opens up about his collaborations with fellow legend Quincy Jones, theatre work with Andrew Lloyd Webber, and how he feels about his mark in Hip Hop after hearing his work sampled by the likes of Eminem, Lupe Fiasco, Dead Prez and Kanye West.
4. Sister Bliss46:11Sister Bliss is a British keyboardist, record producer, DJ and songwriter best known for her work as part of Faithless. In this exclusive interview, Louise speaks with Sister Bliss about how a trip to a local record store led her to meet her future Faithless collaborators, the slow grind the band experienced before reaching the top of the charts and how she balances musicianship with evolving technology. Sister Bliss also breaks down the making of some Faithless classics, including 1995’s Insomnia, the global protest call-to-arms, Mass Destruction and more. In a moment of vulnerability, Sister Bliss opens up about the recent passing of her bandmate and friend, Maxi Jazz. Sister Bliss reflects on his life, celebrates his artistry and highlights his penchant for speaking absolute truth to power. The Songwriters Podcast is produced by Chris Mitchell for Unedited.
3. Kiris Houston40:17Kiris Houston is a Latin Grammy award-winning, multi-platinum selling music producer, composer, arranger, multi-instrumentalist, musician and artist. In this exclusive interview, the London-based producer joins Louise to talk about his adventures in the land of music. From his early days in Papua New Guinea tinkering with instruments to setting up shop in Brazil with his own band, Kiris’ broad worldview is a superpower that makes his music stand out. Kiris shares the backstories of some of his most popular records, including On My Mind for Disciples, A.D.I.D.A.S. for Little Mix, Where Does The DJ Go for Kylie Minogue and the Latin-flavoured comeback vibes of Tango for JLS. This interview is not to be missed!The Songwriters Podcast is produced by Chris Mitchell for Unedited.
2. Laura White43:29Laura White is an English singer-songwriter from Manchester, UK. In this exclusive interview, Laura joins Louise to take us down memory lane and bring us up to speed. Laura recalls her days on the hit TV show, The X Factor, what she learned about herself in the process and what it’s like to be the only singer to have the exit from the show discussed in Parliament. Politics aside, Laura’s list of credits is long, and she shares the stories behind some of her biggest hits, including the Grammy-nominated New York Raining, performed by Charles Hamilton and Rita Ora, One Touch for Steps, Love On Me for Galantis, Street Life for Bugzy Malone and more.We want to thank Paul Kennedy and the team at Ultra Publishing for allowing us to record this episode in their offices. The Songwriters Podcast is produced by Chris Mitchell for Unedited.
1. Harmony Samuels53:34Louise is joined by Producer and songwriter, Harmony “H-Money” Samuels.In this exclusive interview, the Grammy-nominated multi-instrumentalist shares details of his Tottenham upbringing, discovering his love for music in Church and immigrating from London to the US to follow his music dreams. Harmony also deep dives into the making of some of his most famous songs, including The Way for Ariana Grande, Champion for Chipmunk and breaks down how an old Nigerian church hymn set the stage for a Destiny’s Child reunion. Lastly, Harmony reveals what life is like being mentored by the legendary Rodney “Darkchild” Jerkins, how spirituality powers pop music’s broad appeal and much more. The Songwriters Podcast is produced by Chris Mitchell for Unedited.
The Songwriters Podcast (Series 3 Trailer)03:10We are excited to announce the launch of the new series of The Songwriters Podcast in partnership with The Ivors Academy! Independent singer-songwriter Louise Golbey will once again be joined by some of the most successful British songwriters, sharing their creative processes and giving us a new look at how that hit record got made.All four episodes for Series 3 will launch tomorrow, and the guest lineup is as follows: Harmony Samuels (Ariana Grande, Kelly Rowland)Laura White (Rita Ora, Galantis)Kiris Houston (Little Mix, Kylie Minogue)Sister Bliss (Faithless, Dido)We also have a special bonus episode coming in early October 2023! In the meantime, click here to revisit Seasons 1 and 2 of The Songwriters Podcast and subscribe to the podcast to ensure you get all the latest episodes as soon as they are released.
4. Rob Davis33:34Rob Davis: Producer, Composer and Songwriter. Which artist regrets turning down that iconic hit for Kylie? Louise Golbey asks Rob about his 70s glam rock days, high-spirited recording sessions with Enrique Iglesias, and what was unique about the chorus on 'Can't Get You Out of My Head'.Discover more music by Rob Davis.BIORob Davis is responsible for one of the last decade's most played and performed songs.An accomplished musician - he started as a lead guitarist in the 1970s Glam Rock band, Mud, which he wrote over 45 tracks, including their first single, Flower Power, and their big Top 10 hit L-L-LucyHe then became one of the most in-demand and successful songwriters in the UK. He has worked with DJ Paul Oakenfold on dance hits such as Not Over Yet for Grace, The Klaxons, and Joy and Heartbreak for Movement 98. Rob has written songs for a variety of artists, including KYLIE MINOGUE, ENRIQUE IGLESIAS, SOPHIE ELLIS BEXTOR, HOLLY VALANCE, BLUE, CHARLOTTE CHURCH, Mika, Rachel Stevens, and Danni Minogue, to name a few.In the early 2000s, he was behind three huge No. 1s, including Spiller’s track Groovejet (If This Aint Love) featuring Sophie Ellis Bextor and Kylie’s biggest hit Can’t Get You Out of My Head, which he co-wrote and co-produced with Cathy Dennis.
3. Sarah Blanchard49:20Sarah 'Baby' Blanchard has written global hits and multiple UK top ten singles for some of the biggest UK artists in the last decade.Her writing credits include artists such as Tom Grennan, Jess Glynne, Clean Bandit, Anne - Marie, Louis Tomlinson, Bebe Rexha, Galantis and Little Mix to name a few. She is the only female member of the Manchester-based songwriting collective called The Six and was named one of PRS’s top 100 most successful female songwriters in the UK in 2020.She is currently working on tracks with the likes of Freya Ridings, David Guetta, Gracey, Griff, Jason Derulo and Becky Hill as well as working with Will I AM’s right-hand man - Johnny Goldstein