Doctor Who: We're All Stories in the End
17. Conundrum by Steve Lyons
Join Iain (@seaoftranquilitylane on Threads) and returning honeybun Jon Arnold to discuss that most meta, post-modern and high-concept Virgin New Adventure novel, 1994's Conundrum by Steve Lyons, a book with heavy links to a Troughton-era Doctor Who classic, a book with superheroes, adventuring children, a serial killer, a private dick, a quiet village, and a deadly trap for the Time Lord. Also, for once, a stunning cover painting! What's not to love?
Need to buy any New Adventures or EDA's? Contact Kevin: email@example.com
View all episodes
1. Winter Special - The Specials!38:35Join Iain and Harry (along with his former partner-in-nonsense Luke, just a homeless ex-podcaster now that WCCY is no more) as they discuss the four recent new episodes of television's Doctor Who: The Star Beast, Wild Blue Yonder, The Giggle, and The Church on Ruby Road, to prove a theory: that Doctor Who is divisive, that not everyone needs to enjoy every single story, and that none of our individual opinions matter much in the grand scheme of things and no-one should ever feel threatened or triggered just because someone else holds a different opinion concerning an episode, a book, an audio or an action figure from a daft old kids TV show.Get in touch! I'm @seaoftranquillitylane on Threads and @theiainmartin.bsky.social on Bluesky.
Podswap! The Electric Sodcast40:55Another chance to hear something new while I'm working on the Winter Special, which will be with you in January 2024. Until then, here's an episode of the comedy podcast I make with my podcast husband James. In the Songpoker episodes, we just chat about music, and since it's still Twixtmas, why not delve deep into the story of one of the biggest hits from the 1980's - Do They Know It's Christmas by Band Aid. They're all here: Geldof, (Boy) George, Bono, the Bitter Sting of Tears, Phil Collins and some backing vocalist from Shalamar. Don't laugh.Listen to the Complete Sod here:Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/1V5Ufa0AGkriiRISMqXB2CApple: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/electric-sodcast/id1616205466
13. 25. Earthworld by Jacqueline Rayner52:02Iain is joined by returning guest James for a detailed look at the struggling commercial performance of the EDA's and their plunging DWM poll scores in the early noughties, with DATA, STATS and EVIDENCE. Was Paul McGann's arrival in the Big Finish universe a hammer-blow to the BBC Books range? Was Earthworld truly the best choice for a reprint in the 2013 50th Anniversary reissues as the sole representative of the 8th Doctor? Was it a strong first outing for new companion Anji Kapoor? Was it, at least, good fun?Need to buy any New Adventures or EDA's? Contact Kevin: firstname.lastname@example.org
12. 24. Dreamstone Moon by Paul Leonard59:04This week's episode of We're All Stories in the End sees the unexpected return of Joe Ford, who -alone out of all humanity- was prepared to help out and guest on this episode, where in addition to discussing Dreamstone Moon, we also touch upon why no-one loves Samantha Jones, Camille from Red Dwarf, male pattern baldness, and the varying qualities of the covers produced for the EDA range. Joe's a honey, so put you feet up, press play, and we very much hope you enjoy.Follow us on Threads! I'm @seaoftranquilitylane and Joe is @docoho44Need to buy any New Adventures or EDA's? Contact Kevin: email@example.com
Podswap! A Hamster with a Blunt Penknife01:50:42Bonus episode: in case you've never heard A Hamster With a Blunt Penknife: the delightful Doctor Who commentary podcast by Joe "nicest man in podcasting" Ford, here's their recent bookclub episode about Lance Parkin's Father Time. Now go subscribe.
11. 23. Dominion by Nick Walters55:11It's episode 11 of the current series of We're All Stories in the End, and I'm joined by Tom Baker, who played the fourth- eh? Bacon? Oh. Oh I see. Yes, actually that makes more sense. I'm joined by Tom Bacon from Screen Rant to discuss a veritable plethora of wide-ranging issues such as: which Star Wars film was released in the same month as Dominion? What did we make of Dominion? What does Tom prefer: Doomsday or Time Lord Victorious? What might the new relationship with Disney+ mean for the status quo of BBC "sovereignty"? What's Tom's favourite Star Wars story ever? Lastly, but by no means leastly, who out of all of the Sith would win a big fight? Please enjoy this podcast responsibly. Rate it. Review it. Follow it on threads: @seaoftranquilitylaneNeed to buy any New Adventures or EDA's? Contact Kevin: firstname.lastname@example.org
10. 22. Demontage by Justin Richards59:16On this week's episode of We're All Stories in the End, I'm joined by the utterly lovely Joe Ford (yes, him off of "Hamster With A Blunt Penknife") to discuss Demontage, by Justin Richards, an early (I mean, it's got Sam Jones in it) Eighth Doctor novel, and only the second adventure for new companion Fitz Kreiner. What do we make of Fitz, of Sam, of the portrayal of the Doctor, and what Mr Richards has brought to the table on this occasion. I hope you'll enjoy listening to this as much as I did recording it. Follow the show at @seaoftranquilitylane on Threads.
9. 21. Deceit by Peter Darvill-Evans44:36Join Tristan Alfaro (and myself) to discuss Deceit, the New Adventure written by range editor Peter Darvill-Evans. Ace is back, and she's joined by a comic legend, some space lesbians and an evil AI called Pool. So, is this one any good?Follow me on Threads: @seaoftranquilitylaneNeed to buy any New Adventures or EDA's? Contact Kevin: email@example.com
8. 20. Death & Diplomacy by Dave Stone45:18"Doctor? This is my fiance. Please don't kill him."Join myself and Ryan Blake of the Dicey-Wicey podcast to flutter our eyelids at each other in this romantic comedy episode.At some point. For some reason.Follow me on Threads @seaoftranquilitylane and Ryan's on twitter: @WWDWrpgNeed to buy any New Adventures or EDA's? Contact Kevin: firstname.lastname@example.org