The World Of Tom Denham
Tom Denham's Dream Machine: S1E4: Pia Nesvara
What if we used music to provide a voice for the unheard? This is the mission that Pia Nesvara is carrying out through her own song craft and performance in addition to providing mentoring for young aspiring musicians. Having made her mark in the Dandenong Ranges and Melbourne music community, she expresses her own voice through soul and folk music. In this week's episode, you will hear of Pia's work through her program 'Pitch Imperfect', which she is working with young people who feel they are voiceless in their individuality or music, and mentors them to build confidence and understanding of their own unique voice.
You can find more of Pia's work here.
'Orange Moon' (Erykah Badu) 'Mr Bossman' (Pia Nesvara) performed by Pia Nesvara
Theme By Martin Landstrom
Music Distributed By Epidemic Sound
Illustration By Bret M. Herholz
Produced By Tom Denham
Keep up to date with my work at tom-denham.com
Follow me on Instagram @sirtomofdenham
View all episodes
Tom Denham's Dream Machine Trailer00:30A small teaser giving listener's a taste of what's to come for the podcast.Theme By Martin LandstromIllustration By Bret M. HerholzProduced By Tom Denham
1. Tom Denham's Dream Machine: S1E1: Richard Galbraith26:49How many times have you said to yourself "I can't draw?"Richard Galbraith has been doing cartooning workshops for schools and groups for about 30 years and is an encourager of creativity. In this episode, he shares about where his love of drawing stemmed from, when his workshops came to life and how it influenced a generation of kids.To find out more about Richard's work, visit www.richardgalbraith.com.auTheme By Martin LandstromMusic Distributed By Epidemic SoundIllustration By Bret M. HerholzProduced By Tom DenhamKeep up to date with my work at tom-denham.com Follow me on Instagram @sirtomofdenham
2. Tom Denham's Dream Machine: S1E2: Evrim Şen27:07Did you know that there is a radio station in Melbourne designed for young people by young people?Evrim Şen started at SYN Media in 2016 and has taken the full journey from volunteer to staff member. She is passionate about providing a platform that allows social impact as well as the opportunity for young people to have their voice heard.You will hear about her experiences on the receiving end as a volunteer about how she was encouraged to the stories of volunteers that have encouraged her today.To find out more about SYN Media and how to get involved, visit syn.org.auTheme By Martin LandstromMusic Distributed By Epidemic SoundIllustration By Bret M. HerholzProduced By Tom DenhamKeep up to date with my work at tom-denham.comFollow me on Instagram @sirtomofdenham
3. Tom Denham's Dream Machine: S1E3: Lance Peele31:32What if making art was a gift-giving process?This is exactly what Lance Peele speaks towards this idea in the creation phase of his music and poetry. Lance is a singer songwriter and poet who helps breathe life, groove and passion into the Jazz and Blues music scene, particularly in the Dandenong Ranges area in Melbourne. In our conversation we cast back to the formative period of Lance's discovery of the guitar, the value and worth of live performance and the emotions that come with the songwriting process. You can follow Lance and his work on his Facebook page.'Stand' and 'Song In My Heart' performed by Lance PeeleTheme By Martin LandstromMusic Distributed By Epidemic SoundIllustration By Bret M. HerholzProduced By Tom DenhamKeep up to date with my work at tom-denham.comFollow me on Instagram @sirtomofdenham
5. Tom Denham's Dream Machine: S1E5: Nathan Wilson22:06How can we provide access to the arts programs for people in disadvantaged circumstances? Nathan Wilson has been embarking on this mission since 2016 when the conversation began around Project C, a creative arts program for school kids who may struggle to reach opportunities like playing an instrument or learning art, and having each of these assets under one roof being taught by at an industry standard. In the opportunity you get to listen from Nathan, you will hear how the program started, the offshoots of opportunities that came along the way and how the program has hugely benefited one of the lowest socioeconomic parts of Victoria, Australia. You can find out more about Project C at www.projectc.co and Tunes For Change on Facebook.
6. Tom Denham's Dream Machine: S1E6: Shaz Mullens27:27Fresh Theatre For Social Change has been an institute for learning, growth, development and relationships in young Australians. In this week's episode, I sat down with the program founder, Shaz Mullens, who shares her vision of the theatre and how it came to be. You can find out more about Fresh Theatre at freshtheatre.orgDiscretion Warning Advised: This episode contains conversation around confronting topicsYou can use the numbers below if you require help:Life Line: 13 11 14Beyond Blue: 1300 22 4636Theme By Martin LandstromMusic Distributed By Epidemic SoundIllustration By Bret M. HerholzProduced By Tom DenhamKeep up to date with my work at tom-denham.comFollow me on Instagram @sirtomofdenham
7. Tom Denham's Dream Machine: S1E7: Dan Nixon30:08I had the pleasure to speak with Dan Nixon, a master storyteller in his own right, about his work through Pirate Size Productions and Melbourne Young Writers Studio respectively, and further into his own craft of telling stories for young audiences in his work with the Children's Television Foundation and various other avenues.Find out more about:Pirate Size ProductionsMelbourne Young Writers StudioTheme By Martin LandstromMusic Distributed By Epidemic SoundIllustration By Bret M. HerholzProduced By Tom Denham
8. Tom Denham's Dream Machine: S1E8: Erin Dick34:38Erin Dick is the Content Coordinator at SYN Media and like many others before her, has come from a volunteer capacity and a passion for community radio.She is also the head of Community Engagement for Deathmatch Down Under, where she has been a heavily invested in the transformation of inclusivity and the positive community outreach that the local wrestling group provides.Find out more about Deathmatch Down Under and SYN MediaListen to more of Erin's work hereTheme By Martin LandstromMusic Distributed By Epidemic SoundIllustration By Bret M. HerholzProduced By Tom Denham