This Sustainable Life: Untethered
Obese to Buff Beast with Neil Mclatchie - Part 1
Dr Neil Mclatchie is Psychology Lecturer, martial artist, executive coach and has been my incredible partner in life for the last 11 years. There were many things that I could have talked to Neil about, but the thing that I wanted to focus on for this conversation was the amazing physical transformation he's made losing almost 30 kilos of fat taking him from obese to healthy and now buff.
I wanted to find out how he did something that so many of us struggle to do. What did he change to change himself?
Highlights in this episode:
- The importance of rules to take control and go "mindless"
- Neil's favourite day of the week - aka the glorious "cheat day" (Tim Ferris Slow Carb Diet)
- The compelling goal of becoming a sexy 40 year old
- The joy of cereal - All Bran not included!
- Identifying barriers that hold you back from your goals and smashing them
- Paying a friend to get your butt off the couch
- Instagram as a tool to change your identity
- The calorie revelation (discovering Greg Doucette)
- Neil's new food philosophy - low calorie, high protein, high nutrient and delicious
- Thinking of dieting as a budget
- Committing to no compromise (*95% no compromise)
- And of course Neil sets his personal environmental challenge in line with his values
I loved this conversation. It was so interesting to hear Neil's journey and his constantly evolving view of food and himself. I'm curious to find out what could be next! It was also really refreshing to hear about his struggles of binging/dieting and food bargaining, e.g. "If I eat this, then I have to do this". I, like many other people, I'm sure can relate to his experience.
I really hope that this conversation has helped you if you are on your own weightloss journey. I think we can all do the everyday incredible.