This Sustainable Life: Untethered
12. "Don't get bitter, get better!" Developing Emotional Superpowers with Comedian Alex Love - Part 1
Alex Love is a stand-up comedian, freelance writer and serial blogger. He has been performing comedy regularly since 2010 and his first solo show, How To Win A Pub Quiz has sold out a number of times at both the Edinburgh Fringe and New Zealand Fringe festivals. He has also been blogging honestly about his journey, his successes, his failures and his bowels(!) since 2011.
I wanted to learn how he is able to do what so many of us, myself included, shy away from with regards to public speaking, putting yourself out there to be judged and criticised, getting it wrong, failing in public, and interpersonal confrontation. Alex has written extensively about how he deals with these exact things, so I knew that he would be the perfect guest to help us really dive into how to face negative emotions and figure out how to lessen their power on us so that they don't hold us back from doing what we want to do.
- What do you do after hitting rock bottom?
- Rewiring your brain for positivity
- What to do with the voice in your head that tells you you’re not good enough
- Why you should welcome nerves before putting yourself out there
- The best way to exercise failure demons
- How to deal with deliberate knobheads
- Blogging as therapy
- Philosophies for life
- Why make the effort to improve?
- What do chilli con carne and jokes have in common?
- How using your phone less can help with climate change
- And of course, Alex sets his personal environmental challenge in line with his values
I’d love to hear your thoughts about the episode. Do you feel more empowered to put yourself out there and go for the things you want regardless of whether you succeed or fail? Are there any failures that you think you could learn more from?
Inspired by Alex’s honesty and desire for continuous improvement I invite you to let me know if there is anything that I can do to be a better podcast host and give you a more enjoyable listening experience. Come on over to my Facebook page or connect with me on Instagram.