The Media Podcast with Matt Deegan
Reach Cuts & Vorders Breaks Lineker's Law
Reach announces layoffs of almost 10% of their staff - but can they cut their way to growth? Media news and analysis, with Megan Carver (Carver PR) and Jamie East (DMGT Media).
Also on the programme: BBC Studios enters the audio market, as does James Corden... and why Carol Vorderman becomes the first casualty of Linekar’s Law.
Plus, in the media quiz, we pit the pundits against each other in our very own Squid Games.
Love our look and sound? Hire thelondonpodcaststudios.com for your next recording - and get 25% off your first booking when you use the code MEDIAPOD.
Olly Mann (remember him?)'s Modern Mann podcast is out today with the remarkable story of Caz Jayne - who went from Basra to training frontline workers how to deal with trauma. Hear the full story at modernmann.co.uk
The Two Matts cover the week's political stories, as only The New European can. Listen now at podfollow.com/2matts
View all episodes
246. Telegraph saga, Newsnight trim and Bauer re-brand34:18On the show this week we’re joined by head of commercial marketing at Bauer, George Butler and media writer Tara Conlan to discuss when should governments interfere with the media? Never, according to Jeff Zucker who insists Abu Dhabi will steer clear of editorial as the Telegraph soap opera continues. Hear Tara and George’s take.Also in the show; Newsnight has had a major trim to secure it’s survival, but for how long? “Squid Game: The Challenge” a hit, and what’s happening at Bauer? We’ve a man on the inside. Love our look and sound? Hire thelondonpodcaststudios.com for your next recording - and get 25% off your first booking when you use the code MEDIAPOD.
Marcus Ryder MBE: "We are all just one commission away..."13:13More from our interview with Marcus Ryder MBE, where the head of the Film & TV Charity discusses the need to move away from the freelancer model, his work for the Sir Lenny Henry Centre for Media Diversity, and why its your duty to help crew in need.You can donate to their appeal at https://info.filmtvcharity.com/donate-now
245. Freelancer Appeal, Top Gear “Rested” & TikTok Pranks51:28Who’d work in TV? With reports of lowering safety standards and financial hardship are on the rise, Matt Deegan speaks to Marcus Ryder MBE about a new Christmas appeal by the Film and TV Charity. Content warning: mention of suicide.Also on the programme: Top Gear is being rested by the BBC - but for how long? Writer Scott Bryan and Charlotte Tobitt (Press Gazette) consider the protections needed to make the car show viable again.All that plus we follow the latest twists and turns of the Telegraph sale, TikTok pranks that went too far... and, in The Media Quiz, we guess the biggest winners of the week.Love our look and sound? Hire thelondonpodcaststudios.com for your next recording - and get 25% off your first booking when you use the code MEDIAPOD. Donate to the Film & TV Appeal: https://info.filmtvcharity.com/donate-nowIn the UK, the Samaritans can be contacted on 116 123. In the US, the National Suicide Prevention Hotline is 1-800-273-8255. In Australia, the crisis support service Lifeline is on 13 11 14. Hotlines in other countries can be found here.
244. TV Investment Threatened, Commissioning Hopes Rise & Jamie Laing’s Podcast Empire35:26How dependent is the UK on the streamers and Hollywood? MPs have been hearing the evidence - and so have guests Ella Sagar (The Media Leader) and Jake Kanter (Deadline).Also on the programme: Channel 4 say they are “picking up the pace” on commissions. But is it enough? All that plus Jamie Lang has big podcast ambitions, a rare win for local radio and, in The Media Quiz, we weigh up the good news from the bad. Love our look and sound? Hire thelondonpodcaststudios.com for your next recording - and get 25% off your first booking when you use the code MEDIAPOD.
242. Return Of The Media Bill, Boris on GB News & Radio Gaza37:17The Media Bill is back - but what’s changed? Matt Deegan is joined by media writer Maggie Brown and Heat Magazine’s Boyd Hilton.Also on the programme: Boris Johnson heads to GB News; Jess Brammar to the top table at the BBC... and a new radio service appears in Gaza.All that plus, in the media quiz, we set the record straight.That’s all coming up - on this edition - of The Media Podcast.Love our look and sound? Hire thelondonpodcaststudios.com for your next recording - and get 25% off your first booking when you use the code MEDIAPOD.Tell your colleagues and bosses about the show and secure that promotion: https://podfollow.com/themediapodcastThe Two Matts cover Jordan B Peterson's UK rally, amongst other things: https://podfollow.com/2matts
241. Who Will Buy The Telegraph?41:42The auction to buy the Telegraph Media Group is officially on - but will it be derailed before a buyer is found? Media news and analysis, with guests journalist James Ball and Ann Charles (Radio TechCon).Also on the programme: fifty years old, and commercial radio is in rude health, if the RAJARs are any indication. We unpack the findings. Plus, what’s it really like for freelancers in the TV commissioning slowdown? We speak to one director, Anna Collins, frustrated at the way they’ve been treated.All that plus, in the media quiz, it’s time for the return of... The Elevator Pitch.Love our look and sound? Hire thelondonpodcaststudios.com for your next recording - and get 25% off your first booking when you use the code MEDIAPOD.Hear more from James Ball over on The Two Matts, from The New European: https://podfollow.com/2matts
240. MIPCOM, Doctors and a guide to sensitive broadcasting38:45It’s Mipcom Cannes and, no, we’re not live from the beach... but we’ll still run you down all the TV gossip and things you need to know, as Matt Deegan is joined by broadcaster and writer Iain Dale, and Insights Editor at Broadcast Now, Rebecca Cooney.Also on the programme: misinformation and the rush to publish. How have journalists fared in their reporting of the Middle East crisis?Plus, the BBC cuts another continuing drama - is there anywhere left for writers to hone their craft? And we discover the big story that everyone is talking about in Australian radio.All that, plus in the media quiz... we discover the true price of your IP.A Rethink Audio production, produced by Ollie Peart with support from Matt HillWANT MORE? We have even more interviews with the winners over on our Patreon feed - support the show and access our archive of extended interviews with leading media creatives at patreon.com/mediapod
239. The End of Newsnight? Paper domination and YouTube's pod move35:50Is the end nigh for Newsnight? Ratings continue to slide, budgets about to be cut, and they’ve just lost their editor. So what's next for the flagship news show? Media news and analysis with Alex Hudson (Newsweek) and broadcast consultant Paul Robinson.Also on the programme, a new report show's that just three publishers dominate newspapers, but really, does it matter?And there's big news from big streamers with YouTube announcing new channels and platforms, while Netflix subscriptions have slowed.All that, plus in the media quiz... we guess the mystery voice (of news).A Rethink Audio production, produced by Ollie Peart with support from Matt HillWANT MORE? We have even more interviews with the winners over on our Patreon feed - support the show and access our archive of extended interviews with leading media creatives at patreon.com/mediapodLove our look and sound? Hire thelondonpodcaststudios.com for your next recording - and get 25% off your first booking when you use the code MEDIAPOD.