The Life Shift - Conversations about Pivotal & Life-Changing Moments
A Lasting Legacy: A Father's Advice and How it Changed One Man's Life | Matt Drinkhahn
Matt Drinkhahn's inspiring journey is one to be admired! From overcoming bullying to his three-day golf tournament with his father, which gave him a deeper understanding of parenting, his life has been shaped by strong moments of resilience. Throughout the conversation, we continually return to a moment with his father after a tough day in school when Matt faced his first real sense of rejection. It is this moment that Matt attributes to his strength and resilience.
“I know I was reawakened, you know, by this legacy of dad and moving forward in the future. Uh, you asked about emotional intelligence Matt, I could say I didn't really have much of it. I was able to read people very, very well. I was good at sales. I was good at business, but being able to feel process emotion was not a strength. I could read the room well. I didn't process things. I just, I just buried them.”
Matt is an entrepreneur and corporate veteran in sales, coaching, recruiting, leadership, and sales management. He has coached high-performance individuals and Teams for 8 years with ProAdvisorCoach and has led dozens of offsite retreats and conferences. He is best known for his integrity and highly energetic and enthusiastic personality. After losing his father, Matt also faced a freak zipline accident that could have taken away his ability to work. However, he used this moment and transformed it into teaching, coaching, and speaking to teams and companies while recovering. This was a defining moment in his career, and he credits the support of his family and the preparation of his mindset for his success.
Check out his life’s work on the social media channels below:
YouTube: The Eternal Optimist
Twitter: @PodcastOptimist, @MDrinkhahn
Follow/Subscribe to "The Life Shift" wherever you listen to podcasts. If you enjoyed this episode, please rate the show 5 stars and leave a review! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Life Shift Podcast is now on Patreon - https://patreon.com/thelifeshiftpodcast
Other episodes you'll enjoy:
Connect with me:
View all episodes
98. Transforming Struggle into Change: Resilience, Empathy, and Justice Reform | Sean Wilson01:04:11On this episode of The Life Shift Podcast, Sean Wilson shares how he transformed a daunting 50-year prison sentence at 17 into a life mission for societal change. His journey from incarceration to advocacy is a powerful narrative of resilience, growth, and empathy.Episode Highlights:Resilience and Learning in Adversity: Discover how Sean's resilience and quest for education within prison walls turned his life around.Empathy's Role in Breaking Violence: Sean's story showcases the vital role of empathy in enacting societal change and breaking cycles of violence.Fostering Change through Listening: Learn about the power of active listening and open conversations in Sean's efforts to unite communities and address systemic justice issues.Sean's Impactful Journey:Sean Wilson, the Organizing Director of Dream.Org's Justice team, shares his 17 years of lived experience within the criminal legal system. From managing the ACLU of Wisconsin's Smart Justice Campaign to serving on the Governor’s Juvenile Justice Commission, Sean's insights offer profound perspectives on reform and progress.Stay Connected with Sean Wilson:Instagram: www.instagram.com/thefire_thistime/Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100012932197986Join The Life Shift Podcast Community:Subscribe to The Life Shift Podcast on Apple Podcasts and more.Rate us 5 stars and leave a review on Apple Podcasts.Access exclusive content on Patreon: https://patreon.com/thelifeshiftpodcastEngage with Me:Instagram: www.instagram.com/thelifeshiftpodcastFacebook: www.facebook.com/thelifeshiftpodcastYouTube: https://bit.ly/thelifeshift_youtubeTwitter: www.twitter.com/thelifeshiftpodLinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/thelifeshiftpodcastWebsite: www.thelifeshiftpodcast.com
PREVIEW: Cory Keith - After the Recording: Patreon Bonus Episode #1804:05I wanted to share this clip from Cory Keith's bonus episode recording for the Patreon members. In these recordings, I reconnect with past guests to discuss their experience on The Life Shift Podcast, share their stories, and allow them to share any updates since their episode aired.In this clip, we talk about the value of sharing stories to create connections and understanding. The full bonus episode with Cory is available on the Patreon feed. Please consider supporting the show with the link below.Cory Keith's Full Episode (#29) can be found here: https://www.thelifeshiftpodcast.com/building-skills-cory-keith/Thank you for the support along the way. If you want to help support the show and join the Patreon, please check out www.thelifeshiftpodcast.com/join
97. Home Therapy: Designing Spaces that Nurture Relationships | Anita Yokota01:02:45In this episode of The Life Shift Podcast, Anita Yokota shares her unique journey from psychology to design and how she uses her understanding of interpersonal dynamics to create spaces that nurture relationships. This episode is a testament to the power of embracing change and following your passions, even when they take you off the beaten path.Key takeaways:The transformative power of embracing changeThe importance of understanding the dynamics of relationships in interior designThe role of creativity and aesthetics in enhancing our spaces and relationshipsAnita's story highlights the transformative power of embracing change. Born into a creative household, Anita initially pursued a career in psychology. However, after the birth of her third child, she found herself emotionally overwhelmed. Encouraged by her sister, she took a leap of faith and began sharing her passion for design on Instagram. This marked the start of her new career as an interior designer.Understanding the dynamics of relationships plays a crucial role in Anita's approach to interior design. Rather than focusing solely on aesthetics, she prioritizes the relationships that exist within the space. This approach, rooted in her therapy work, allows her to create spaces that not only look good but also serve the people who inhabit them.Finally, Anita's story underscores the importance of creativity and aesthetics in enhancing our spaces and relationships. Her creative upbringing, combined with her understanding of interpersonal dynamics, enables her to design spaces that nurture relationships. She believes that the spaces we inhabit and the relationships we form within them are deeply intertwined, and her work beautifully reflects this belief.Anita Yokota is a therapist turned interior designer and author of the bestselling book, Home Therapy. With a Masters in Marriage and Family Therapy (LMFT), Anita spent 20 years and thousands of hours in the field counseling patients before realizing she craved a more creative path. "As a working mom, my emotional plate was full. I felt depleted and decided it was time for a change."With an architect for a father and a real-estate mother, Anita knew interior design was her next calling. What started in her own home quickly expanded to design clients throughout Southern California and grew to include a contracting business with her husband.The pair live in Southern California with their three daughters.http://www.anitayokota.comhttp://www.instagram.com/anitayokotaAccess ad-free episodes released two days early and bonus episodes with past guests through Patreon. https://patreon.com/thelifeshiftpodcastConnect with me:Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/thelifeshiftpodcastYouTube: https://bit.ly/thelifeshift_youtubeTwitter: http://www.twitter.com/thelifeshiftpodWebsite: http://www.thelifeshiftpodcast.com
96. Empowering Change: From Rebel to Activist Leader | Nisha Anand01:03:48In this episode of The Life Shift Podcast, Nisha Anand, the CEO of Dream.org, takes us through her incredible journey from being a rebellious activist to a strategic activist. Her story is a testament to the power of empathy, strategic action, and being a misfit in creating significant social change.Key Takeaways:Embrace being a misfit as your superpowerThe importance of considering the impact of your actionsThe power of empathy and strategic action in creating meaningful changeNisha grew up as a misfit, bridging two cultures – her immigrant parents' Indian roots and her American upbringing. Instead of feeling alienated, Nisha embraced this uniqueness as her superpower. She notes that being a misfit allowed her to fit everywhere and become a bridge between different worlds, a trait that has significantly shaped her approach to social justice.Nisha shared an impactful incident from college when she staged a protest against animal abuse at a circus. Despite the good intentions behind the protest, the disappointment among the children who were merely there to enjoy the spectacle led her to a profound realization. Nisha learned that being morally right isn't enough; one must also consider the impact of their actions on others.The conversation highlighted the power of empathy and strategic action in creating meaningful change. Nisha's experiences, particularly her confrontation with the military dictatorship in Burma, have underscored the need for empathetic and strategic activism. Through her work at Dream.org, she continues to utilize these lessons to address social justice issues and inspire others to do the same.Nisha Anand is an Indian-American activist, mom of two teenagers, and a boundary-busting national leader for social and racial justice. Once a grassroots activist arrested in Burma for pro-democracy demonstrations, Nisha is known today as a leader in cultivating unlikely and unconventional partnerships to create change. As Dream.Org's CEO, Nisha guides a team of storytellers, organizers, and policy experts working on some of society's toughest problems to create a better future for all.Website: https://www.nishaanand.org/ Twitter: @nishamanand Instagram: @nishamanand LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/nisha-m-anand/ Access to ad-free episodes released two days early and bonus episodes with past guests through Patreon. https://patreon.com/thelifeshiftpodcastConnect with me:Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thelifeshiftpodcastYouTube: https://bit.ly/thelifeshift_youtubeTwitter: https://www.twitter.com/thelifeshiftpodWebsite: https://www.thelifeshiftpodcast.com
BONUS - You Might Like: "Creative Architects" Podcast Trailer02:19Hello everyone. Thank you for being a part of this indie podcasting journey. As an indie podcaster, I know the importance of introducing the show to new audiences. So I wanted to bring to your attention a new show to consider. This show, Creative Architects, will be especially interesting to those of you who are creators and entrepreneurs.Angela Hollowell hosts Creative Architects, and it features conversations with a diverse array of creative minds, from newsletter writers and podcasters to inventive designers and tech pioneers who are revolutionizing the creative landscape.Angela Hollowell is a creative producer and entrepreneur. But if this show interests you, please subscribe on YouTube or your favorite podcast platform.If you aren’t sure where to start, Angela recommends “Who’s Jersey Is it Anyway? Creative Brand Deals Explained.” So, if you are ready to embark on a journey to the intersection of creativity and entrepreneurship and witness how they are shaping the future of the creator economy, I encourage you to subscribe to Creative Architects hosted by Angela Hollowell.
95. Reclaiming Joy and Finding Justice: A Healing Journey | Tanmeet Sethi01:04:56On this episode of The Life Shift Podcast, Tanmeet Sethi shares her story of authenticity, vulnerability, and the art of reclaiming joy amidst life's overwhelming challenges. Guest Dr. Tanmeet Sethi, a beacon of inspiration in both integrative and psychedelic medicine, shares insights from her personal journey, shedding light on moments of adversity, societal conditioning, and finding justice amidst suffering.Key Insights:Journey to Authenticity: Tanmeet delves deep into the essence of embracing vulnerability, combating performative happiness, and the perils of societal conditioning. Her experiences underscore the fine line between happiness and true joy and the neuroscience of overcoming dark moments with resilience.Challenges and Chardi Kala: Faced with the overwhelming concern and uncertainty about her oldest child's future, Tanmeet's journey teaches the beauty of Chardi Kala – an eternal optimism. She confronts societal standards of success and external pressures, finding her path through gratitude, perseverance, and embracing vulnerability.Healing and Exploration: Drawing from her personal experience, integrative medicine, and cutting-edge research on psychedelics like psilocybin at the University of Washington, Tanmeet emphasizes the transformative power of joy in healing, combating depression and anxiety, and mental health treatment's evolving landscape.About the Guest: Dr. Tanmeet Sethi, a trailblazing author and Clinical Associate Professor at the University of Washington, is dedicated to holistic healing and sharing vulnerability. Her journey, marked by both struggle and inspiration, encompasses the challenges of motherhood, the potential of psychedelic medicine, and the hope in overcoming societal conditioning.🌐 Tanmeet Sethi's Official Website - https://www.tanmeetsethimd.com/📱 Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/tanmeetsethimd/📱 Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/tanmeetsethimdEngage with The Life Shift Podcast:🌐 Dive into Authentic Conversations - http://www.thelifeshiftpodcast.com/📱 Instagram - http://www.instagram.com/thelifeshiftpodcast📱 Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/thelifeshiftpodcast📺 YouTube - https://bit.ly/thelifeshift_youtube🐦 Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/thelifeshiftpod🌐 Support and Access Exclusive Content on Patreon - https://patreon.com/thelifeshiftpodcast
What Would You Say? - Part 4 - 15 Reflections on Pivotal Moments18:31This bonus episode recaps the final statements from episodes 71-85, where guests reflect on what they would say to themselves before their life shift moment and offer advice to those going through similar experiences. These conversations are raw, personal, and deeply inspiring. These conversations remind us that life is full of unexpected twists and turns, but with self-love, resilience, and a willingness to take risks, we can overcome our challenges and thrive.Guest Appearances in order:From Burnout to Breakthrough: Power of Honest Conversations | Tony MartignettiHarnessing Inner Light and Creating a Global Ripple Effect | Alice ChunEmpathy, Activism, and Personal Growth: Creating Change and Hope | Amy Glassman External Validation & the Courage to Pursue Wildest Dreams | LOLO PritchardThe Other Side of Yet: Surviving Unimaginable Loss | Michelle D. Hord Coping with Grief and Guilt: Finding Strength, Healing, and Hope in Mental Health | Sunny ChangFrom Dream Job & Emmy Awards to Mental Health Advocacy & Finding True Happiness | Danny QuinA Journey of Transpersonal Transformation: Finding Purpose After a Career Limiting Diagnosis | Elen SentierNavigating Loss and Rediscovering Self: A Journey of Hope | Jonathan DeYoeLiberation in Divorce: Story of Healing and Growth Inspires Others to Overcome Adversity | Olivia Dreizen HowellUnmasking Vulnerability: From Achieving Goals to Embracing Emotional Depth | Newton ChengThe Illusion of Love: Seeking Validation in a Relationship | Jenny DreizenA Health Scare That Changed Everything: Advocating for Your Life | Michelle GlogovacThe Anger She Keeps: Finding Home After Abuse & Trauma | Alyse Maslonik You Make Your Path by Walking: Navigating the Healing Journey After Loss | Suzanne AndersonAd-free, early-release, and bonus episodes on Patreon. https://patreon.com/thelifeshiftpodcastWebsite: www.thelifeshiftpodcast.com
94. From Controlled to Empowered: Breaking Free from Domestic Violence | Nicole Middendorf58:18In this episode of The Life Shift Podcast, Nicole Middendorf shares her experience with domestic violence and her remarkable journey to break free from a suffocating relationship.🌟 Inside This Episode:Turning Tides: Nicole delves into her disciplined upbringing and how resilience shaped her path, even when the odds were stacked against her.Embracing Independence: Nicole's all about carving out your space and making decisions that resonate with your truth. She's proof that you can rewrite your story, no matter where you start.The Reality of Domestic Violence: Nicole provides an honest look at her past, sharing valuable advice about recognizing warning signs and finding the strength to move forward.Nicole's journey is a testament to human tenacity and the untapped power within us to brave the storms.📚 Dive Deeper into Nicole's World 📚The Entrepreneurial Spirit: Nicole broke away from Morgan Stanley in 2003 to helm her brainchild, Prosperwell Financial.In Her Own Words: Nicole has penned five books, expanding on financial wisdom and life insights. Nicole's books have received local and national press coverage, where she has become known for her thoughtful, concise quotes, relaxed on-air presence, and articulate delivery.Making Finance Fun: With her relaxed demeanor and clear explanations, Nicole has a gift for simplifying complex financial lingo, empowering YOU to take charge of your financial destiny.🌐 Discover More about Nicole Middendorf 🌐 Links:Prosperwell FinancialThe Live It ListPersonal Website🎙 Stay Updated with "The Life Shift" Podcast 🎙 For riveting discussions on life-altering moments, subscribe to "The Life Shift" on Apple Podcasts or your favorite podcast platform. Don't forget to rate the show 5 stars and drop an encouraging review! ⭐️InstagramFacebookYouTubeTwitterLinkedInWebsite✨ Special Offer: Experience the podcast with added perks! For ad-free episodes (that you get two days early!) and exclusive content with our past guests, join the Patreon community here: Support The Life Shift on Patreon
PREVIEW: Elizabeth Rosenberg - After the Recording: Patreon Bonus Episode #1705:47I wanted to share this clip from Elizabeth Rosenberg's bonus episode recording for the Patreon members. In these recordings, I reconnect with past guests to discuss their experience on The Life Shift Podcast, share their stories, and allow them to share any updates since their episode aired.In this clip, we talk about the value of sharing stories to create connections and understanding. The full bonus episode with Elizabeth is available on the Patreon feed. Please consider supporting the show with the link below.Elizabeth Rosenberg's Full Episode (#65) can be found here: https://www.thelifeshiftpodcast.com/from-burnout-to-spiritual-awakening-a-journey-of-self-discovery-and-corporate-success-elizabeth-rosenberg/Thank you for the support along the way. If you want to help support the show and join the Patreon, please check out www.thelifeshiftpodcast.com/join