Walk on the Wylde Side
Ashton Applewhite of This Chair Rocks
People are happiest at the beginnings and the ends of their lives. The vast majority of Americans over 65 live independently. The older people get, the less afraid they are of dying. Aging is a natural, powerful, lifelong process. So how come so many of us unthinkingly assume that depression, diapers, and dementia lie ahead? That the 20th century’s astonishing leap in life expectancy is a disaster-in-the making? Underlying all the hand-wringing is ageism: discrimination that sidelines and silences older people.
This week Crispin is sitting down with Ashton Applewhite who has written a book and blogs all about ageism. She has led the team that developed Old School, a clearinghouse of anti-ageism resources. And she is the voice of Yo, Is This Ageist? (She would love if you asked her about it).
Learn more about Ashton:
Follow The Wylde:
View all episodes
7. Living Fully at End of Life with Cynthia Emiry Roy01:00:48An innovator in field of hospice care for over 20 years, Regional Hospice President and CEO, Cynthia Emiry Roy, MS, LCSW, CHA talks about living fully at the end of life and what a good death looks like. In 2015, Roy opened the Center for Comfort Care & Healing, the first state-of-the-art residential hospice center in Connecticut that cares for patients with life-limiting illness from across the country. Her new initiative is the North Star pavilion, the only dedicated children’s hospice in the Northeast and one of five in the country.Learn more about Cynthia:https://regionalhospicect.org/ Follow The Wylde:https://www.wyldepeople.com/https://www.instagram.com/wyldepeople/
6. Professor Andrew Scott and The Hundred Year Life58:21Dr. Andrew J Scott is Professor of Economics and former Deputy Dean at London Business School. He is also a Fellow of All Souls, Oxford University and the Centre for Economic Policy Research. Dr. Scott is a leading authority on the economics of longevity, and is a co-author of the global best-seller “The 100 Year Life: Living and Working in an Age of Longevity” (Bloomsbury, June 2016). Dr. Scott says we are living longer and better lives than ever before. His new book, "The New Long Life: A Framework for Flourishing in a Changing World", will be available on May 28th, 2020.A note on this and all the Walk on the Wylde Side Recordings, these were done prior to the COVID-19 crisis. Learn more about Andrew:https://twitter.com/profandrewscotthttps://profandrewjscott.com/Follow The Wylde:https://www.wyldepeople.com/https://www.instagram.com/wyldepeople/
5. Stephen Johnston of Aging 2.001:21:42On the show this week is Stephen Johnston, MBA. Stephen is a co-founder of Aging2.0 a global innovation platform for aging and senior care. He is also a founder of Fordcastle, an innovation consultancy and a member of the Future Agenda, the world’s largest open foresight initiative. He co-authored Growth Champions (Wiley, 2012), a book about sustainable corporate growth. He received an MA in Economics from Cambridge University and an MBA from Harvard Business School where he was a Fulbright Scholar.Learn more about Stephen:https://www.aging2.com/https://twitter.com/sdbjFollow The Wylde:https://www.wyldepeople.com/https://www.instagram.com/wyldepeople/
3. Charlotte Japp of CIRKEL01:09:10This week The Wylde is sitting down with Charlotte Japp of CIRKEL. Charlotte is a millennial with a deep appreciation for her parents and other older, interesting people. Early in her career, Charlotte noticed a huge gap between the 20-somethings she worked with and baby boomers like her parents, who had decades of experience, but were forced to retire or start secondary careers due to ageist hiring trends. Her friends and colleagues wanted career mentorship and life advice, while her parents and their friends were looking for new skills and trend reports to stay relevant in their careers. With this in mind Charlotte founded CIRKEL in 2018. Charlotte is passionate about connecting people and believes there’s a big opportunity for doing so across generations.If you're interested in meeting interesting people from different ages and walks of life, join CIRKEL Up.CIRKEL Up is a global members club for monthly 1-on-1 intergenerational introductions and access to events, online and IRL (in real life).$49/month with a first month free using code TRYCIRKELhttps://www.cirkel.world/membership-applicationSign up for the newsletter to stay in the loop on CIRKEL:https://www.cirkel.world/sign-upFollow The Wylde:https://www.wyldepeople.com/https://www.instagram.com/wyldepeople/
2. Chip Conley of Modern Elder Academy47:43This week The Wylde is sitting down with Chip Conley. Rebel hospitality entrepreneur and New York Times bestselling author, Chip Conley disrupted his favorite industry... twice. At age 26 he founded Joie de Vivre Hospitality (JdV), transforming an inner-city motel into the second largest boutique hotel brand in America. He sold JdV after running it as CEO for 24 years, and soon the young founders of Airbnb asked him to help transform their promising start-up into the world’s leading hospitality brand. Chip served as Airbnb’s Head of Global Hospitality and Strategy for four years and today acts as the company’s Strategic Advisor for Hospitality and Leadership. He is now looking to disrupt aging and how we view it with the Modern Elder Academy.Learn more and follow Chip:https://modernelderacademy.com/chip-conleyhttps://twitter.com/ChipConleyFollow The Wylde:https://www.wyldepeople.com/https://www.instagram.com/wyldepeople/
1. A Conversation with David Harry Stewart of AGEIST53:34This week The Wylde is sitting down with David Harry Stewart, founder and face of AGEIST, a new media company and agency that champions the vitality, capabilities and influence of the modern 50+. He is a passionate champion and leading authority on the mindset and aspirations that drive this influential demographic. David is frequently called upon to share his expertise and insight at important venues and forums around the world. Learn more about David: https://davidharrystewart.com/https://www.weareageist.com/Follow The Wylde:https://www.wyldepeople.com/https://www.instagram.com/wyldepeople/
Welcome to Walk on the Wylde Side02:00Welcome to The Wylde Side a podcast talking about design, community, and how we can bring people together.