Values in the metaverse: Laura Olin (ZOAN)
This is the second part of our new podcast series Values in the Metaverse. In this series, we will interview designers, experts, and entrepreneurs working with digital fashion, metaverse, and NFTs. When we’re creating a new digital universe, what kind of values do we want in it? This is the Nordic perspective.
This time we're guested by Laura Olin, the COO and partner of the Finnish virtual reality studio ZOAN. As digital worlds takes hold, Laura Olin underscores the importance of Nordic values.
The Scandinavian Mind podcast is a bi-weekly show, about the intersection of lifestyle and technology. Every Wednesday, we publish an in-depth interview with an innovator from the worlds of design, fashion, beauty, mobility or tech. And every Friday, we publish a panel talk or other behind the scenes content from the world of Scandinavian MIND. Sign up to our newsletter for instant access to all our content.
View all episodes
6. Digitising Fashion (with Natasha Franck)53:19We speak to Natasha Franck, founder and CEO of EON, a US-based traceability company that has spent the past seven years developing technologies that are now in high demand. EON is working with brands like Balenciaga and Coach on transparency projects, and with the upcoming EU requirement, they are ready to take on the wider European fashion industry. In this conversation we talk about:– The commercial opportunity of digital twins– The challenge of producing more revenue and less physical product– Navigating the EU legislations – Digital Product PassportsHost: Konrad Olsson, Editor-in-chief and Founder of Scandinavian MIND.
5. Design Week thought leaders39:39We report from Scandinavia’s largest design event that has taken place this week, both at the trade show Stockholm Furniture Fair, as well as the many events and showrooms around town.In this episode, we will hear from:Emma Olbers, designer and sustainability expertAdam Scheuring, CEO of carbon software company VariableJacob Wallér, owner, Jordens ArkitekterSean Barrett, Head of Innovation, and Alexander Westerlund, Head of Design, Interesting Times GangWe talk about:How to develop low-carbon productsWhy hemp is the new linen What does biophilic mean and why is it important With:Konrad Olsson, editor-in-chief and founder of Scandinavian MIND. Johan Magnusson, senior editor, Scandinavian MIND
4. Searching for sustainability at Copenhagen Fashion Week32:13We report from the Danish capital, taking the temperature of Nordics premier fashion industry event and speak to the designers and entrepreneurs that move the industry forward. Also: we visit a new show concept that has arrived in the city. In this episode we will hear from:Sigurd Bank, founder and designer of Mfpen.Gustav Kjellander and Emil Holmström, founders of Brixtol Textiles We talk about:– Pushing the deadstock agenda forward – New material innovations – How to be a responsible fashion brand in 2024Hosts:Konrad Olsson, editor-in-chief and Founder of Scandinavian MINDJohan Magnusson, senior editor, Scandinavian MIND
3. Wellness innovations in Paris41:39We travel to the French capital for the famous interior design trade show Maison&Object, where there is a strong push towards wellness. We explore what it means with leading voices. In this episode we hear from:Laurence Carr, founder and CEO of circular design firm Laurence Carr IncBrune Ouakrat, Strategic Planner & Perspectivist, at the trend agency Peclers ParisMallory Huron, Beauty & Wellness Strategist, Fashion Snoops also a leading trend agency.We talk about:* Why every brand needs to think about wellness* Material innovations transforming the traditional design sector* And the next technologies that will transform the beauty and wellness industry With:Konrad Olsson, editor-in-chief and founder, Scandinavian MIND. Johan Magnusson, senior editor, Scandinavian MIND
2. Is fashion still relevant? (with Eugene Rabkin)26:56We go existential on the fashion industry with Eugene Rabkin, a New York based writer and editor and founder of the media platform StyleZeitgeistOur editor-at-large Oliver Dahle met with Eugene at the Fashion talks event in Antwerp late last year, hosted by the flemish industry organisation Flanders DC.In this episode we talk about:The failing cultural relevance of fashionHow the industry can regain its statureThe conglomeration of fashionHis backhanded compliment to the Scandinavian fashion industry With:Konrad Olsson, editor-in-chief and Founder of Scandinavian MIND. Oliver Dahle, editor-at-large
1. The change makers of Pitti Uomo38:29We travel to Florence to visit the legendary menswear trade show, and take a peak under the hood with the people responsible for the show and its activities.In this episode we will hear from:Giorgina Cantarini, fashion writer, with a focus on sustainability, and curator of the S Style event Raffaelo Napoleone, CEO, Pitti Immagine, the organisation that runs the trade showWe talk about:— How the industry can transform to a more sustainable fashion industry— What new technologies are needed to implement this change— How the Pitti organisation are Host: Konrad Olsson, editor-in-chief and Founder of Scandinavian MIND.
21. Science-backed beauty and the microbiome01:11:40We are revisiting our Beauty Innovation Talks in Stockholm a few weeks go, where we hosted a great rooster of speakers form the Nordic beauty scene. We hear from:Lucas Nanini, Head of Europe & Asia, The Good FaceJohanna Gillbro, Founder, SkinomeJosefin Liljeteg, Chief Innovation Officer, HardfordLars Fredriksson, CEO & Founder, VersoLeo Salvi, Head of Science, KIND TO BIOMEThese were wide ranging conversations we we covered a lot of topics, including: – The state of science-backed beauty– The new obligations for brands, retailers, and laboratories– The health of the skin microbiome and barrier as key purchasing criteriaHosts: Konrad Olsson, editor-in-chief Johan Magnusson, senior editor
20. Navigating the fashion industry in 202436:26In this episode we will hear from:Dr. Hanna Grabenhofer, Associate Partner, McKinsey & Co.Valérie Boiten, Senior Policy Officer, Ellen MacArthurOur editor-at-large Oliver Dahle recently traveled to Antwerp and the yearly design event Fashion talks by Flanders DC, where he met some of the fashion industry’s most forward thinking people. These were wide ranging conversations about the transformation in the fashion industry, covering amongst other things: What new technologies you need to navigate an uncertain industry A look at the recently published The State of Fashion Report The new legislations from the EU, specifically eco design for sustainable products
19. Virtual Creativity Live: Gustav Winsth20:34We are revisiting a live talk with Gustav Winsth, a furniture designer who is exploring and pushing the boundaries for how to design, using AR and VR technology. In this conversation we talk about: Gustav’s journey from working at truck manufacturer Scania to becoming a leading designer on the Swedish design scene, His collaboration with Alexander LervikHow he is revolutionizing traditional prototyping and sketching processes.And we delve into Winsth's unique aesthetic approachThis conversation was recorded at first edition of Virtual Creatives Live, an event series we are doing in collaboration with Lynk & Co.