The Rich Roll Podcast
Roll On: Notes From Minneapolis
This week we dive into the why behind my decision to visit Minneapolis and what I learned from the experience. Plus stories from the swimming vault and some epic show & tell before fielding a few running-centric listener questions.
Welcome to another edition of ‘Roll On’, wherein myself and Adam Skolnick dissect matters of the day in a manner that is instructive and sometimes even entertaining.
Aside from serving as my sidekick and hypeman, Adam Skolnick is an activist and journalist best known as David Goggins’ Can’t Hurt Me, co-author. He writes about adventure sports, environmental issues, and civil rights for outlets such as The New York Times, Outside, ESPN, BBC, and Men’s Health. He is the author of One Breath and is currently using the ‘new dad’ excuse to avoid working on his novel.
Topics explored in today’s conversation include:
- The Envol Swimrun Battle & Running For Justice Virtual Run Challenge;
- an update on the Iron Cowboy’s ‘Conquer 100’ challenge;
- the intention behind Rich’s trip to Minneapolis & his experiences in the city;
- what it means to reimagine public safety to create a safer society;
- Rich’s partnership with Ten Thousand and the new ‘Distance Kit’; and
- the future of lab-grown, ‘cultured’ meat.
In addition, we answer the following listener questions:
- How do you stay motivated in your endurance challenges?
- What advice can you offer first-time marathoners?
- How can you hone your nutrition for large endurance races?
Thank you to Steven from Charleston, Casey from Illinois, and Asha & Savannah from British Colombia for your questions. If you want your query discussed, drop it on our Facebook Page, or better yet leave a voicemail at (424) 235-4626.
Ten Thousand ‘Distance Kit’ Giveaway: We’re giving away 5 Distance Kits from Ten Thousand! To enter: (1) subscribe to the Rich Roll Podcast YouTube channel; and (2) Leave a comment under today’s episode video. We will pick 5 winners who will receive the full kit (short, tank, and socks) and reach out to them.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch & Subscribe
Thanks to this week’s sponsors:
ExpressVPN: Secure your data with the number-one-rated VPN on the market. No matter what device you’re on – phone, laptop, or Smart-TV – all you have to do is tap a button to get protection. Keep your online activity private and find out how you can get 3 months FREE at expressvpn.com/richroll
Pique Tea: Ultra-effective, high-quality teas and wares made with cutting-edge technology and only the finest ingredients. Pique’s Fermented Pu’er is the ultimate super-tea for overall health and gut support made with revolutionary tea crystals that dissolve in seconds. Go to piquetea.com/richroll to learn more and use code RICHROLL at checkout for 10% off your first order.
ROKA: Cutting edge eyewear & apparel built for top performance. Ultralight construction. Arms-Up Design. Official USAT Partner. If you’re active like me and wear prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses, ROKA combines the no-slip performance you’ve been waiting for with fashionable frames. Visit roka.com and enter code RichRoll for 20% off.
Four Sigmatic: Nutritious and delicious organic, Fair-Trade, single-origin Arabica mushroom coffee made with only the highest quality adaptogens like Lion’s Mane and Chaga. Visit foursigmatic.com/roll and get up to 40% off + Free Shipping on Mushroom Coffee bundles.
- Connect With Adam: Website | Instagram | Twitter
- YouTube: Rich Roll Podcast Clips Channel
- James Lawernce: @ironcowboyjames
- Book: Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker
- New York Times: Ten Months After George Floyd’s Death, Minneapolis Residents Are at War Over Policing
- The Verge: The New York Times just sold an NFT for more than half a million dollars
- New York Times: Boulder Shooting Survivors Describe ‘Listening to Him Kill Everyone You Know’
- New York Times: The Deep American Roots of the Atlanta Shootings
- New York Times: What to Know About the Atlanta Spa Shootings
- New York Times: We’ve Spent Over a Decade Researching Guns in America. This Is What We Learned.
- New York Times: How to Reduce Shootings
- New York Times: Why Does the U.S. Have So Many Mass Shootings? Research Is Clear: Guns.
- Playboy: Who Puts Guns In The Movies?
- NIH: What Do We Know About the Association Between Firearm Legislation and Firearm-Related Injuries?
- BC: How the NRA Rewrote the Second Amendment
- Netflix: Seaspiracy
- HBO: Q: Into The Storm
- Podcast: Lost Hills
- Podcast: ‘Lost Hills’ Investigates Mysterious Malibu Campground Murder
- FKT: Robbie Balenger – Central Park Loop Challenge
- Hellah Sidibe: @hellahgood9
- Liquid Death: Shop
- Alexey Molchanov & Freediving: @alexeymolchanov
I'm proud to announce my new book 'Voicing Change'. To learn more & pre-order now, visit, richroll.com/vc
There are a few simple ways you can support the show and the content we strive to craft and share every single week
Patronize Our Sponsors: Supporting the companies that support the show! For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity URLs and discount codes, click the ‘Sponsors’ tab in the ‘Shop’ menu.
Spread The Word: Help grow our reach by sharing your enthusiasm for the podcast and/or your favorite episodes by posting about it on social media.
Thank The Team: I do not do this alone. Send your love to Jason Camiolo for production, audio engineering and show notes; Margo Lubin and Blake Curtis for video, editing and graphics; portraits by Ali Rogers and theme music by Tyler Piatt. Trapper Piatt & Hari Mathis.