The Rich Roll Podcast
Roll On: Decaying Seas, Lost Hills & Gun Madness
How do we end gun violence in America? What can we do to stop marine destruction? How do we untangle masculinity and meat-eating? Plus, we need to talk about that murder in Malibu Creek State Park, Rich’s backyard trail paradise.
Welcome to another edition of ‘Roll On’, wherein myself and the always congenial and ponderous Adam Skolnick chew on matters of the day in a manner that is instructive and possibly even entertaining. As always, we share good news and bad. We do a bit of show and tell. And we answer your questions.
Aside from serving as my bi-monthly sidecar hype-beast, Adam Skolnick is an activist and veteran journalist best known as David Goggins’ Can’t Hurt Me, co-author. Adam writes about adventure sports, environmental issues, and civil rights for outlets such as The New York Times, Outside, ESPN, BBC, and Men’s Health. He is the author of One Breath and is currently using the ‘new dad’ excuse to avoid working on his novel.
Topics explored in today’s conversation include:
- the nuances of Zone 2 training & weightlifting;
- an update on the Iron Cowboy’s ‘Conquer 100’ challenge;
- the beginning of the Derek Chauvin trial & how to change public safety;
- mass shootings & the repercussions of America’s gun obsession;
- the new documentary ‘Seaspiracy’;
- the new podcast ‘Lost Hills’; and
- Robbie Balanger’s Central Park Loop FKT.
In addition, we answer the following listener questions:
- How do you manage relationships when your values change?
- How do we break the stereotype that meat-eating is masculine?
- How can we deconstruct masculinity and see vulnerability as a strength?
Thank you to Kumaran from South Africa, Casey from Austin, and Cindy from New Hampshire for your questions. If you want your query discussed, drop it on our Facebook Page, or better yet leave a voicemail at (424) 235-4626.
Hat & T-Shirt Giveaway: To enter our giveaway: (1) subscribe to the Rich Roll Podcast YouTube channel; (2) share one of your fave YouTube episodes on social media; (3) screenshot it along with your subscription confirmation; and (4) send it to email@example.com.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch & Subscribe
Thanks to this week’s sponsors:
Athletic Greens: 75 whole food sourced ingredients designed to optimize 5 key areas of health, Athletic Greens is the delicious daily habit that sets you up for a healthy future. I take the packets everywhere I go. Invest in your health without compromise! Go to: athleticgreens.com/richroll to get a FREE year supply of Vitamin D AND 5 free travel packs with your first purchase.
Joovv: Enhance your health, recovery, and sleep with Joovv light therapy. Discover the science of light therapy and how it can help you reach your health & fitness goals at Joovv.com/RICHROLL. You’ll see a unique code that will provide a discount on your device, exclusions apply. Happy Joovvin’!
Squarespace: The easiest way to create a beautiful website, blog, or online store for you and your ideas. Save 10% on your first purchase when you visit Squarespace.com/RICHROLL and use the discount code RICHROLL at checkout.
Whoop: The world’s most powerful fitness tracker. Get smarter about how you sleep, recover, and train, so you can unlock your best self. Go to WHOOP.com and use the promo code Richroll at checkout to save 15% off WHOOP.
- Connect With Adam: Website | Instagram | Twitter
- YouTube: Rich Roll Podcast Clips Channel
- James Lawernce: @ironcowboyjames
- Book: Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker
- New York Times: Ten Months After George Floyd’s Death, Minneapolis Residents Are at War Over Policing
- The Verge: The New York Times just sold an NFT for more than half a million dollars
- New York Times: Boulder Shooting Survivors Describe ‘Listening to Him Kill Everyone You Know’
- New York Times: The Deep American Roots of the Atlanta Shootings
- New York Times: What to Know About the Atlanta Spa Shootings
- New York Times: We’ve Spent Over a Decade Researching Guns in America. This Is What We Learned.
- New York Times: How to Reduce Shootings
- New York Times: Why Does the U.S. Have So Many Mass Shootings? Research Is Clear: Guns.
- Playboy: Who Puts Guns In The Movies?
- NIH: What Do We Know About the Association Between Firearm Legislation and Firearm-Related Injuries?
- BC: How the NRA Rewrote the Second Amendment
- Netflix: Seaspiracy
- HBO: Q: Into The Storm
- Podcast: Lost Hills
- Podcast: ‘Lost Hills’ Investigates Mysterious Malibu Campground Murder
- FKT: Robbie Balenger – Central Park Loop Challenge
- Hellah Sidibe: @hellahgood9
- Liquid Death: Shop
- Alexey Molchanov & Freediving: @alexeymolchanov
I'm proud to announce my new book 'Voicing Change'. To learn more & pre-order now, visit, richroll.com/vc
There are a few simple ways you can support the show and the content we strive to craft and share every single week
Patronize Our Sponsors: Supporting the companies that support the show! For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity URLs and discount codes, click the ‘Sponsors’ tab in the ‘Shop’ menu.
Spread The Word: Help grow our reach by sharing your enthusiasm for the podcast and/or your favorite episodes by posting about it on social media.
Thank The Team: I do not do this alone. Send your love to Jason Camiolo for production, audio engineering and show notes; Margo Lubin and Blake Curtis for video, editing and graphics; portraits by Ali Rogers and theme music by Tyler Piatt. Trapper Piatt & Hari Mathis.