The Parenting Cipher
Mama Said Knock You Out: 5 Easy Ways To Prepare For An Individual Education Plan
In this episode of The Parenting Cipher, Genie gets ready for Individual Education Plan (IEP) meeting season. Whether this is your child’s very first IEP meeting or you are a veteran, we can always improve and empower ourselves when going into an IEP meeting. Tune in for Genie’s five tips to prepare for your next IEP meeting to feel confident and get what your child needs-- along with a special guest appearance from Genie’s son-- in this episode of The Parenting Cipher.
Host of The Parenting Cipher, Genie Dawkins is a single mother of four and has over 25 years of being a parent advocate of special needs children. In addition to obtaining her Certification in Integrative Health Coaching, Lateefa holds an M.S. in Non-Profit Management and a B.S. in Social Sciences. Genie is the best-selling author of two books “Not My Child: Navigating Your Child’s Learning Difficulties with IEP’s and Education Resources” and a recent release “The Joyful Family Planner”. As an educational advocacy specialist, her mission is to help parents achieve a balanced life and overcome inevitable challenges both at school and home in a way that empowers parents and children.
Insight from this episode:
- What’s an IEP and what’s in Genie’s “big binder” for a successful meeting and how to make one for yourself.
- Tips on who to reach out to for help, especially in gathering documents for your binder.
- Details on what you should review in the proposed IEP before a meeting.
- Strategies for how to talk to your child about his or her IEP and goals.
Quotes from the show:
- “After I get an appointment date, I will follow up with, ‘When should I expect to see the proposed IEP goals?’” –Genie Dawkins The Parenting Cipher Ep. #7
- “[Your binder is] actually your document, your legal proof, in the happenstance that the school is not helping your child make progress.” –Genie Dawkins The Parenting Cipher Ep. #7
- “When you review an IEP, you get to really have a moment of, wow, my child is making progress.” –Genie Dawkins The Parenting Cipher Ep. #7
- “If you look at progress reports, and your child’s not making progress… it may not even be that that goal is too hard or difficult. It may be that that goal is not for them, maybe it needs to be tweaked.” –Genie Dawkins The Parenting Cipher Ep. #7
- “Most often, we show up, and we just sign. We don’t know what to ask. When you have this binder, you know what to ask. And you have a quick reference sitting in front of you." –Genie Dawkins The Parenting Cipher Ep. #7
- “When you have your documents lined up, it’s a story. You don’t have to be researchers or an analyst. It’s a story.” –Genie Dawkins The Parenting Cipher Ep. #7
Website: Genie Dawkins
Facebook: Genie Dawkins
LinkedIn: Genie Dawkins
The Parenting Cipher
Website: The Parenting Cipher
Patreon: The Parenting Cipher
Itunes: The Parenting Cipher
Spotify: The Parenting Cipher
Youtube: The Parenting Cipher
Post-production for this episode was provided by Podcast Laundry.