The Parenting Cipher
Electric Relaxation: Conversation special needs mom need to have
In this episode of The Parenting Cipher, join Kendra Lendsey, host of The Yo Fly Aunty Podcast, and Genie for a conversation that all special needs moms need to have. From how parenting changes as we get older and dealing with the isolation of being a special needs parent to strategies on how to be the best advocate for your child, Kendra and Genie share their stories and experiences. They discuss grades, stepping on other people’s toes, the power of writing, and much more on this episode of The Parenting Cipher.
Host of The Parenting Cipher, Genie Dawkins is a single mother of four and has over 25 years of being a parent advocate of special needs children. In addition to obtaining her Certification in Integrative Health Coaching, Lateefa holds an M.S. in Non-Profit Management and a B.S. in Social Sciences. Genie is the best-selling author of two books “Not My Child: Navigating Your Child’s Learning Difficulties with IEP’s and Education Resources” and a recent release “The Joyful Family Planner”. As an educational advocacy specialist, her mission is to help parents achieve a balanced life and overcome inevitable challenges both at school and home in a way that empowers parents and children.
About our Guest:
Kendra Lendsey is author, lifestylist, model, public speaker, and the host of the Top Rated The Yo Fly Aunty Podcast, which is all about aging forward, enjoying life, and embracing your midlife flyness. She believes aging is a level up and not a liability. Kendra has a 16-year-old son who is on the autism spectrum and a younger son with dysgraphia.
Insight from this episode:
- Benefits of aging, letting things go, and the space of possibilities that is mid-life.
- Strategies on how to react when other people react to your child, including other family members.
- Tips for getting others on board with what you know is right for your child and giving voice to the things you see that are wrong.
- Reflections about systematic racism and how it’s affecting our children.
- The importance of modeling advocacy for our children and how to do it even when you’re not sure how.
Quotes from the show:
- “Especially for Black women, we navigate things-- it looks like it’s so easy-- and we are the underpinning of society. We hold the whole circus together. We’re the net up underneath it all. And we do it with such ease that people forget that it may look easy, but that don’t mean that it’s not heavy and it’s hard to do.” –Kendra Lendsey The Parenting Cipher Ep. #10
- “I always knew with my oldest, I didn’t ever want him to be inside of the social circle because I like that he’s a quirky Black boy. I like that for him. I like that there’s a space for him now in the world.” –Kendra Lendsey The Parenting Cipher Ep. #10
- “In our community, it is new. And the experience of having other parents advocate for Black children is new. And to be openly saying to someone my child is on the spectrum is now. And then to have to educate whoever you’re talking to is really new.” –Kendra Lendsey The Parenting Cipher Ep. #10
- “People who provide services to your children can be bullies.” –Genie Dawkins The Parenting Cipher Ep. #10
- “If you feel at an early age that no settling with you.. Go to the school and keep on them.” –Kendra Lendsey The Parenting Cipher Ep. #10
- “As parents, we do a lot of things instinctually, and we don’t think of it in the parameters of how can someone else do it and how can you copy this in the classroom. But if you were really to sit there and try to think of a solution, you would think of it.” –Genie Dawkins The Parenting Cipher Ep. #10
- “Your own unique experiences give you permission to be an advocate for whatever it is that you need to be an advocate for. And ain’t nobody going to advocate for your child like you.” –Kendra Lendsey The Parenting Cipher Ep. #10
- “From the Book of Black Momma Chapter 1, here’s what the fuck we’re not going to do.” –Kendra Lendsey The Parenting Cipher Ep. #10
- “Don’t Blind CC the superintendent and everyone else. CC them, so they can see see you.” –Kendra Lendsey The Parenting Cipher Ep. #10
Website: Genie Dawkins
Facebook: Genie Dawkins
LinkedIn: Genie Dawkins
Facebook: Kendra Lindsay
Spotify: The Yo Fly Aunty Podcast
The Parenting Cipher
Website: The Parenting Cipher
Patreon: The Parenting Cipher
Itunes: The Parenting Cipher
Spotify: The Parenting Cipher
Youtube: The Parenting Cipher
Post-production for this episode was provided by Podcast Laundry.