The Next Mile
Episode 2 - A Ray of Hope
Have you ever taken a look at your carbon footprint or taken into consideration how your transportation methods affect the world around you?
That’s one of the many reasons why electric and autonomous vehicle development, innovation, and implementation is so important today.
There’s a non-profit foundation called The Ray, which ultimately seeks to bring together companies, policymakers, and people on the ground to drive forward innovation in the realm of advanced mobility. So many companies are working toward a better future for transportation, but the work being done at The Ray is real, tangible, and on the ground today.
Advanced mobility will save lives and reduce negative environmental impacts. Still, the idea of AVs really scare the general public.
That’s why on today’s episode of The Next Mile, I talk with Allie Kelly, Executive Director of The Ray. She shares information about how the foundation is tangibly working toward reducing waste, increasing productivity, and transforming the everyday transportation experience for Americans.
So, listen in to learn more about how today’s innovative technologies are changing the world as we know it.
Questions I Asked:
- Tell us how The Ray began. (06:05)
- What are your favorite projects that The Ray has worked on? (10:00)
- How do The Ray’s innovations help society and the earth? (22:50)
- When do you see innovation becoming everyday technology for the public? (25:00)
- What conversations are you having with policy-makers to make innovation possible? (33:00)
- What do you think is the toughest debate that we have around reshaping mobility? (34:50)
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- How The Ray is impacting innovation today. (01:20)
- How The Ray aims to reduce waste and increase productivity on the roads. (10:05)
- How Wattway uses roads to harvest solar energy to produce energy. (16:10)
- How The Ray is creating durable, crack-resistant roads that reduce the height of the sound barrier. (18:10)
- How The Ray’s innovations are working toward a safer driving experience. (23:30)
- How The Ray’s prototype uses connectivity technology to gather data directly from the literal road. (28:55)
- Why America needs an intentional psychological shift to accept autonomous vehicles. (34:50)
- What industries will be affected by the implementation of AV into society. (37:10)
Connect with Allie Kelly: