The New Abnormal
Trump’s Recent Rhetoric Is Just as Scary as It Seems
Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Spencer Ackerman stops by the program to talk about Section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act—and why Congress should consider scrapping it entirely. Deepa Iyer of the Building Movement Project stops by the podcast to share her unique way of visualizing social movements as entire ecosystems—with each person playing a distinct role in various movements and communities. Plus! Guest host Maura Quint who serves as campaign and communications work for Americans For Tax Fairness.
View all episodes
396. The $364 Million Judgment in Trump’s NYC Fraud Case Did Not Go Far Enough01:01:09This week on The New Abnormal, co-hosts Andy Levy and Danielle Moodie discuss why the $364 million fine in the fraud suit against Donald Trump is not enough. Then, political scientist Dr. Christina Greer joins the show to discuss the differences between Democratic and Republican messaging—and what President Biden needs to do to not fall behind. We then talk to The Daily Beast political reporter, Riley Rogerson, about the problems with GOPs campaign talking points.
The ‘Sinister’ Crusade That Has Team Trump Outing LGBTQ Kids27:38Brandon Wolf, national press secretary of the Human Rights Campaign, tells The New Abnormal that MAGA Republicans are making LGBTQ students political pawns.
395. It’s Time to Look at Trump’s Jan. 6 Plans in a New Light59:57Did Trump and his team ever really believe the 2020 election was stolen? That’s the wrong question to ask, Talking Points Memo reporter Josh Kovensky says on The New Abnormal. Plus, an interview with Dell Cameron, an investigative reporter for Wired magazine, about the recent Congressional wrangling over proposed changes to Section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.
394. Nikki Haley’s Jenga Tower of Anti-Trump Positions Is About to Crash Down01:00:52The Daily Beast political reporter Jake Lahut joins this week’s The New Abnormal podcast to discuss Nikki Haley’s dwindling shot at the 2024 Republican nomination. Plus! Media Matters senior fellow Matt Gertz joins the podcast to discuss Special Counsel Robert Hur’s incendiary attacks on President Joe Biden’s memory.
Guardian Angels' Thug Tactics Get Exposed in Times Square33:01The Guardian Angels have been meting out vigilante justice on New York City streets since 1979. Last week the red-bereted crime fighters appeared on Fox News when their leader, Curtis Sliwa, a recent GOP mayoral candidate, was interviewed by Sean Hannity about the “migrant crisis” in New York. While the interview was in progress, the Angels violently detained a man in Times Square that Sliwa told Hannity was a migrant shoplifter. Later Levy talks to Laurie Kilmartin, a stand-up comedian who wrote for Conan O'Brien for 11 years, has written two books, and now has a new comedy special Cis Woke Grief Slut available for purchase online.
393. Supreme Court Justices Are ‘in the Bag’ for Donald Trump55:56This week on The New Abnormal, co-hosts Andy Levy and Danielle Moodie discuss the horrifying Supreme Court hearing today that weighed whether Donald Trump will be allowed on the ballot in Colorado. Then, Jay Willis, the editor-in-chief of Balls & Strikes, joins us to weigh in on the case. Plus! Katherine Stewart, author of “The Power Worshippers: Inside the Dangerous Rise of Religious Nationalism,” talks to us about how the role faith is playing in the 2024 election.
392. Republicans Should Love The Senate’s Latest Immigration Bill01:01:33This week on The New Abnormal, co-hosts Andy Levy and Danielle Moodie discuss the Senate’s proposed immigration border bill that has sparked widespread criticism from Republicans. Then, Where's Your Ed At newsletter writer Ed Zitron stops by to talk to us about Elon Musk's latest tantrum. Plus! Jessica Garrison and Ken Besinger, the host of true crime podcast, Chameleon: the Michigan Plot, gives us the inside scoop on the attempted kidnapping of Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer and all the strange details surrounding it.
Why Donald Trump Won’t Let His Famous Dead Uncle John Rest in Peace31:15Donald Trump keeps using his relation to a famed MIT professor as proof of his intelligence. But as The New Abnormal team points out—smart people often have dumb relatives. Plus! Danielle Moodie has a thought provoking chat with DEI expert Denise Hamilton on her new book Indivisible: How to Forge Our Differences into a Stronger Future.
391. Author of Shocking Post-Roe Rape Study Details ‘Truly Horrifying’ Numbers01:00:24This week on The New Abnormal, Samuel Dickman, the medical director at Planned Parenthood Montana, joins us to unpack a jarring new study showing the dramatic increase in pregnancies related to rape after the banning of Roe v Wade. Plus! Author Andrew C. McKevitt talks about his new book, “Gun Country: Gun Capitalism, Culture, and Control in Cold War America.”