The New Abnormal
The Rebels Who First Fought Big Tech Were on to Something
Tech columnist Brian Merchant tells The New Abnormal the Luddites got a bad rap following the Industrial Revolution but all they were trying to do was hold big tech to account.
View all episodes
398. There Is Some Good News About Trump’s South Carolina Primary Win01:03:43This week on The New Abnormal, co-hosts Andy Levy and Danielle Moodie discuss the positive news of Trump’s South Carolina presidential primary win. Then, Monica Simpson, executive director of Team Sister Song, joins the show to discuss the fight for reproductive rights in America. Plus! Chris Geidner points to the three biggest stories of the week, and how they are directly related to Supreme Court Justice Sam Alito.
Charlie Kirk Wants Coca-Cola to Sponsor Televised Executions28:06The New Abnormal breaks down the latest controversial idea from the Turning Point CEO. Plus! Danielle Moodie talks to Barbara Collura, the president and CEO of Resolve: The National Infertility Association, about the Alabama Supreme Court’s decision to give embryos “personhood” and ban IVF in the state.
397. Wake Up! Republicans Really Are Trying to Ban Contraception59:44A recent ruling by the Alabama Supreme Court basically halted IVF treatments—and a new bill currently making the rounds in Oklahoma may be even worse, The New Abnormal hosts argue. Plus, chats with former GOP Rep. Adam Kinzinger about the current state of the Republican Party and Gillian Branstetter of the ACLU’s Women’s Rights Project and LGBTQ & HIV Project about the tragic death of a non-binary high school student in Oklahoma.
396. The $364 Million Judgment in Trump’s NYC Fraud Case Did Not Go Far Enough01:01:09This week on The New Abnormal, co-hosts Andy Levy and Danielle Moodie discuss why the $364 million fine in the fraud suit against Donald Trump is not enough. Then, political scientist Dr. Christina Greer joins the show to discuss the differences between Democratic and Republican messaging—and what President Biden needs to do to not fall behind. We then talk to The Daily Beast political reporter, Riley Rogerson, about the problems with GOPs campaign talking points.
The ‘Sinister’ Crusade That Has Team Trump Outing LGBTQ Kids27:38Brandon Wolf, national press secretary of the Human Rights Campaign, tells The New Abnormal that MAGA Republicans are making LGBTQ students political pawns.
395. It’s Time to Look at Trump’s Jan. 6 Plans in a New Light59:57Did Trump and his team ever really believe the 2020 election was stolen? That’s the wrong question to ask, Talking Points Memo reporter Josh Kovensky says on The New Abnormal. Plus, an interview with Dell Cameron, an investigative reporter for Wired magazine, about the recent Congressional wrangling over proposed changes to Section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.
394. Nikki Haley’s Jenga Tower of Anti-Trump Positions Is About to Crash Down01:00:52The Daily Beast political reporter Jake Lahut joins this week’s The New Abnormal podcast to discuss Nikki Haley’s dwindling shot at the 2024 Republican nomination. Plus! Media Matters senior fellow Matt Gertz joins the podcast to discuss Special Counsel Robert Hur’s incendiary attacks on President Joe Biden’s memory.
Guardian Angels' Thug Tactics Get Exposed in Times Square33:01The Guardian Angels have been meting out vigilante justice on New York City streets since 1979. Last week the red-bereted crime fighters appeared on Fox News when their leader, Curtis Sliwa, a recent GOP mayoral candidate, was interviewed by Sean Hannity about the “migrant crisis” in New York. While the interview was in progress, the Angels violently detained a man in Times Square that Sliwa told Hannity was a migrant shoplifter. Later Levy talks to Laurie Kilmartin, a stand-up comedian who wrote for Conan O'Brien for 11 years, has written two books, and now has a new comedy special Cis Woke Grief Slut available for purchase online.
393. Supreme Court Justices Are ‘in the Bag’ for Donald Trump55:56This week on The New Abnormal, co-hosts Andy Levy and Danielle Moodie discuss the horrifying Supreme Court hearing today that weighed whether Donald Trump will be allowed on the ballot in Colorado. Then, Jay Willis, the editor-in-chief of Balls & Strikes, joins us to weigh in on the case. Plus! Katherine Stewart, author of “The Power Worshippers: Inside the Dangerous Rise of Religious Nationalism,” talks to us about how the role faith is playing in the 2024 election.