The New Abnormal
How Elon Musk Can Change the World With One Flick of a Switch
On this week’s episode of The New Abnormal, hosts Andy Levy and Danielle Moodie are shocked by just how much control billionaire Elon Musk has over the world. Plus! Executive Director of reproductive justice group the Yellowhammer Fund, Jenice Fountain, joins the show to talk about what’s going on in Alabama. Author Marc Tyler Nobleman also talks about his experience on a speaking tour of Georgia schools where school leaders found an issue with him saying the word “gay.”
View all episodes
373. The Vast Majority of American Voters Should Never See a Poll01:02:27This week on The New Abnormal, MSNBC political analyst and pollster Cornell Belcher talks the science of polls before we all start pulling our hair out. Then we talk to Radley Balko, publisher of Substack page The Watch, about his latest piece discussing how medical examiners shield violent cops from scrutiny.
372. The Media is Ignoring Trump’s Advanced Age at Our Peril58:40New York Times technology reporter Mike Isaac joins The New Abnormal to unpack the civil war currently roiling OpenAI. Plus! A conversation with Democratic strategist Kurt Bardella about Joe Biden's chances in the 2024 election.
Jan. 6 Officer Says U.S. Must Be Saved From Trump’s Return38:53Former Capitol Police Officer Sgt. Aquilino Gonell tells The New Abnormal that democracy is on the ballot in the next election and that America must be protected from a second Trump presidency. Plus former Daily Beast journalist turned communications consultant, Timothy Burke, talks about the FBI raid at his home following the leak of embarrassing videos of Tucker Carlson that ended up in the hands of Vice News and Media Matters for America.
371. Why Eric Is Most Likely Trump’s Second Favorite Child38:28David Roth and Jeb Lund play the Thanksgiving edition of “America 20 Questions,” including answering how thankful they think Donald Trump is for each of his kids. Plus! Danielle Moodie talks to Amelia Nagoski about the book she co-authored with her sister, Emily Nagoski, Burnout: The Secret to Unlocking the Stress Cycle, which examines the scientific factors that determine the different ways men and women deal with stress.
370. Elon Musk Has Become the Very Thing He Hates Most01:07:29Media Matters President Angelo Carusone joins The New Abnormal to talk through his organization’s recent sparring with Elon Musk and his social media platform, X. Plus! A conversation with award-winning author Nnedi Okorafor about her transformational africanfuturism and the importance of inclusive visions of science fiction.
How This Iconic Black Model Changed the Fashion Industry28:49Bethann Hardison broke barriers in the 1970s by appearing in the top fashion magazines. Her new documentary Invisible Beauty shows how she championed diversity for a new generation of Black models.
369. Why GOP Won’t Stop Tuberville’s Military Nominees Tantrum53:34Veteran Jason Kander tells The New Abnormal there are two main reasons why Republicans are afraid to take on Senator Tommy Tuberville’s military blockade. Plus, Andy Norma, founder of CIRCE, or the Cognitive Immunology Research Collaborative, talks about the Mental Immunity Project and how it is trying to combat the crisis of disinformation and people’s susceptibility to it.
368. Trump’s Recent Rhetoric Is Just as Scary as It Seems01:08:21Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Spencer Ackerman stops by the program to talk about Section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act—and why Congress should consider scrapping it entirely. Deepa Iyer of the Building Movement Project stops by the podcast to share her unique way of visualizing social movements as entire ecosystems—with each person playing a distinct role in various movements and communities. Plus! Guest host Maura Quint who serves as campaign and communications work for Americans For Tax Fairness.
The Rebels Who First Fought Big Tech Were on to Something32:37Tech columnist Brian Merchant tells The New Abnormal the Luddites got a bad rap following the Industrial Revolution but all they were trying to do was hold big tech to account.