The New Abnormal
The 29-Year-Old Long Islander Coming for George Santos’ Seat
Long Island native Zak Malamed is tired of Rep. George Santos’ shit. So tired of it that he decided to run against the accused serial liar for his House seat. He shares with co-host Andy Levy why he thinks Santos won in the district to begin with, how he thinks he stands a chance to win, and his thoughts on Santos’ lies about being Jewish, something that Malamed took personally. Also on this episode: TNA co-cost Danielle Moodie talks to State Sen. Margie Bright Matthews, one of the “Sister Senators” in the South Carolina Senate—made up of three Republicans, one Democrat, and one Independent— who banded together to block an abortion ban in their state. Sen. Matthews shares how her relationship with one of her Sister Senators on the other side of the aisle, Republican Katrina Shealy, began, and what it’s like to be a woman and a Black person, in such a sexist, racist state legislature.
View all episodes
352. Far-Right Anti-Science Conspiracies Are Literally Killing Us01:06:26Dr. Peter Hotez joins The New Abnormal this week to discuss his new book, “The Deadly Rise of Anti-Science”—and why anti-vaccine conspiracies are so dangerous. Plus! An interview with labor reporter and author Kim Kelly about the United Auto Workers strike.
GOP Keeps Embarrassing Itself Trying to Justify Biden Inquiry34:01This week’s episode of The New Abnormal highlights how Republicans are tying themselves up in knots while attempting to explain why we need an impeachment inquiry into Joe Biden.
351. Lauren Boebert Proves the One Thing She Needs is Class01:00:08On this week’s episode of The New Abnormal, hosts Andy Levy and Danielle Moodie delve deep into the lack of class shown by Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-CO) this week. Then, author Mike Rothschild is here to tell us all about his new book. Plus! Jeffrey Lewis, a scholar at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies on the Non-Proliferation and Terrorism Studies, joins us to share the reason we’re all still here.
350. Middle America Gives Trump the Finger at Iowa Football Game01:02:44On this week’s episode of The New Abnormal, a reminder that the enemy of your enemy isn’t always your friend. Plus! A status check on the various groups protesting Atlanta’s “Cop City” project and a chat with Meagan Burrows of the ACLU’s Reproductive Freedom Project about Alabama’s attempts to criminalize those who help young women seeking abortions.
U.S. Leaders Ignored Warning Signs That Musk Would Help Putin34:12The Daily Beast columnist David Rothkopf tells The New Abnormal’s Danielle Moodie that U.S. politicians should rethink their support of Elon Musk after his intervention to help Russia.
349. How Elon Musk Can Change the World With One Flick of a Switch01:01:33On this week’s episode of The New Abnormal, hosts Andy Levy and Danielle Moodie are shocked by just how much control billionaire Elon Musk has over the world. Plus! Executive Director of reproductive justice group the Yellowhammer Fund, Jenice Fountain, joins the show to talk about what’s going on in Alabama. Author Marc Tyler Nobleman also talks about his experience on a speaking tour of Georgia schools where school leaders found an issue with him saying the word “gay.”
348. Trump Contemplates Jailing Opponents Amid Legal Trouble01:01:49On this episode of The New Abnormal, hosts Andy Levy and Danielle Moodie discuss how crazy it is that Donald Trump keeps talking about jailing his political opponents and everyone has just accepted it as normal. Dare we say, the new abnormal. Plus! Blowback Podcast hosts Brendan James and Noah Kulwin pop in to talk about their newest season covering the ins, outs, and random stars of the crisis in Afghanistan and the US' involvement after 9/11. Then, Author, historian, and culture critic Ruth Ben Ghiat is here to answer the question Danielle Moodie thinks nobody is asking, what stage of the facist takeover are we in right now
Why Castrated Mad Hatter Murdered Lincoln’s Killer34:40Comedian Jesse Joyce tells The New Abnormal how his fascination with “the guy who cut his own balls off with a pair of scissors and then killed John Wilkes Booth” forced him into writing his new book.
347. It’s Grotesque to Keep Putting Mitch McConnell Out There55:34On this week’s episode of The New Abnormal, hosts Andy and Levy and Danielle Moodie discuss the ramifications of Republican Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell’s latest freeze. Plus! National opinion columnist for the “Philadelphia Enquirer,” Will Bunch, talks to us about his recent article surrounding the state of journalism. Then, The Daily Beast’s politics reporter Zachary Petrizzo stops by to let us in on what’s happening with G O P fundraising.