The New Abnormal
What Conservative Author Bethany Mandel’s Viral Flub Taught Us About ‘Woke’
Season 1, Ep. 299
On this week’s episode of The New Abnormal, MSNBC's Mehdi Hasan talk to us about this week’s viral moment surrounding conservative “woke” critic, Bethany Mandel. Plus, New York Times bestselling author and policy advocate Heather McGee talks about the collapse of Silicon Valley Bank and how we got here.
322. Matt Gaetz Doesn’t Want You to Know He Wears Unisex Blazers01:01:19Washington Post reporter Ben Terris, author of The Big Break The Gamblers, Party Animals, and True Believers Trying to Win in Washington While America Loses Its Mind, joins this episode of The New Abnormal podcast to share some highlights from his book, which includes wacky, inside moments and scandals he witnessed in D.C. after Trump left office—like the fashion faux pas Matt Gaetz didn’t want people to know about and the sad story of Trump circle member and CPAC Chairman Matt Schlapp’s right-hand man. Plus, Andy and Danielle take on the latest politics news and Stacey Stevenson, CEO of Family Equality, an LGBTQ organization directed at creating safe, happy, healthy, environments for LGBTQ people and their families, joins as guest to chat about how Florida’s anti-LGBT legislation is leading the community to “becoming refugees in their own country.”
This Marjorie Taylor Greene Wish Could Start a Civil War30:19Eli Merritt, a political historian at Vanderbilt University and author of a book entitled Disunion Among Ourselves: The Perilous Politics of the American Revolution, joins this episode of The New Abnormal to share what would cause a civil war today, and no spoilers but it relates to Marjorie Taylor Greene’s succession wish. Merritt also tells TNA podcast co-host Danielle Moodie three reasons why the Founding Fathers were supportive of slavery when they could have phased out the practice much earlier (besides racism) and how their reasons for keeping it ties back to what’s going on today. Plus! Like usual, the hosts reacting to clips opens up the show.
321. The Longer They Wait to Indict Donald Trump, the Harder It Gets43:54On this week’s episode of The New Abnormal, hosts Danielle Moodie and Andy Levy wonder what’s taking special counsel Jack Smith so long. Plus! The Daily Beast politics reporter Jake Lahut talks about the self-help guru who won't get help: Marianne Williamson.
320. Pride Organizer Says Gay Floridians Are Leaving in Droves53:17Things are pretty bleak for the LGBTQ+ community in Florida thanks to Ron DeSantis’ blitz of hate legislation. Pride celebrations being cancelled just part of the fallout. The President and CEO of Lake County Pride, Danielle Olivani, joins TNA co-host Danielle Moodie on this episode of The New Abnormal to share why the group is moving ahead with their celebrations anyway, the pushback its gotten in spite of it, and the impact these bans have had on the community’s youth, in particular. Olivani also notes what they see as a “mass migration” out of the state because of it. Plus: Part 2 of author James Risen’s interview with TNA co-host Andy Levy, where he shares more about Senator Frank Church, the man who lead the Church Hearings against the CIA and FBI (and who Jimmy Carter called a jerk in his diaries).
How Gerald Ford’s Big Mouth Helped Uncover Insane CIA Abuses35:31James Risen, author of The Last Honest Man: The CIA, the FBI, the Mafia, and the Kennedys―and One Senator’s Fight to Save Democracy, joins this episode of The New Abnormal politics podcast to talk about Senator Frank Church, who led what is known as the Church Committee, a group that held Senate hearings in order to hold the intelligence community accountable for its expansive abuses. He shares one particular story with co-host Andy Levy that explains how a few whip-smart journalists, and President Gerald Ford opening his big mouth, finally exposed the CIA and set the hearings against them in motion.
319. Ron DeSantis Is So Clearly the Beta to Donald Trump’s Alpha01:06:31On this week’s episode of The New Abnormal, we’re joined by Jeb Lund and David Roth of the It's Christmas Town Podcast who talk all about Ron DeSantis entering the presidential race. Plus! Representative Jasmine Crockett talks about the clown show that Reps. Kevin McCarthy and Marjorie Taylor Green have turned the Congress into.
318. How Trump Could Benefit from Pushing a Debt Default01:02:13Daily Beast congressional reporter Sam Brodey came on The New Abnormal politics podcast to talk through the ways that Trump’s default talk could screw Republicans, and also to share how this stance of Trump’s could possibly benefit him (or not.) Then, Jonathan Last, editor of The Bulwark, joins the show to talk through a DeSantis election theory and break down his rankings for the possible 2024 Republican presidential nominees most likely to win the election, including a very crass argument for putting Chris Christie dead last. Plus, co-hosts Andy and Danielle can’t believe that Florida is turning into one big “sundown” town.
Abe Lincoln Wasn’t the Kind of Christian You Think He Was38:15Historian Joshua Zeitz, author of Lincoln’s God: How Faith Transformed a President and a Nation, joins this episode of The New Abnormal to walk co-host Danielle Moodie through Abraham Lincoln’s spiritual journey and how his Christianity looked much different than what other presidents believed. He also shares with her the connection that Lincoln’s religion had to his decision to emancipate the enslaved, what others thought of him at the time, and what people get wrong about him today. Plus, Danielle and her TNA co-host Andy Levy dub Marjorie Taylor Greene “MAGA Karen” and point out comparisons between her and the woman that got Emmett Till unjustly killed.
317. The 29-Year-Old Long Islander Coming for George Santos’ Seat01:03:19Long Island native Zak Malamed is tired of Rep. George Santos’ shit. So tired of it that he decided to run against the accused serial liar for his House seat. He shares with co-host Andy Levy why he thinks Santos won in the district to begin with, how he thinks he stands a chance to win, and his thoughts on Santos’ lies about being Jewish, something that Malamed took personally. Also on this episode: TNA co-cost Danielle Moodie talks to State Sen. Margie Bright Matthews, one of the “Sister Senators” in the South Carolina Senate—made up of three Republicans, one Democrat, and one Independent— who banded together to block an abortion ban in their state. Sen. Matthews shares how her relationship with one of her Sister Senators on the other side of the aisle, Republican Katrina Shealy, began, and what it’s like to be a woman and a Black person, in such a sexist, racist state legislature.