Share

cover art for Albania shuts down TikTok for a year amid concerns over violence among children

Daily SumUp

Albania shuts down TikTok for a year amid concerns over violence among children

Season 1, Ep. 6277

The Albanian Cabinet decided on Thursday to shut down TikTok for 12 months, blaming the popular video-sharing platform for inciting violence and bullying, especially among children.


Education Minister Ogerta Manastirliu said officials are in contact with TikTok on installing filters like parental control, age verification and the inclusion of the Albanian language in the application.


Authorities had conducted 1,300 meetings with some 65,000 parents who “recommended and were in favor of the shut down or limiting the TikTok platform,” the minister said.


The Cabinet initiated the move last year after a teen stabbed another teenager to death in November after a quarrel that started on TikTok.


TikTok did not immediately respond to a request to comment on the government’s decision.


When Prime Minister Edi Rama said in December they were aiming at closing the social media platform, TikTok asked for “urgent clarity from the Albanian government” on the case of the stabbed teenager.

More episodes

View all episodes