The History of Ireland
Interview – The Diaries of Michael Collins with Anne Dolan & Will Murphy
Today on the centenary of the death of Michael Collins I'm sharing excerpts from an interview with Anne Dolan and Will Murphy authors of Michael Collins: The Man & The Revolution and Days in the Life, Reading the Michael Collins Diaries 1918-1922. Reading the Michael Collins Diaries just came out last week and it was fascinating to unpack what Anne and Will learned while putting the new book together.
Subscribe to Patreon to listen to the full episode. Enjoy!
View all episodes
20. S2 EP20 – The First Attempt At An Irish Constitution16:45In this episode we look at the creation of Irish Free State constitution which was brought into law on December 6th 1922. Here's the Radiolab episode on the Irish electoral system that I mention in the show:https://radiolab.org/podcast/tweak-vote
19. S2 EP19 – Weaponising the Sacraments12:53In this episode we look at how the Catholic Church worked to bring about peace in 1922, choosing the Treaty and turning against the anti-Treaty Republicans.
18. S2 EP18 – The Executions Begin16:51In this episode we look at the first series of executions carried out by the Free State in November 1922.The image used for this episode is of Erskine Childers and his wife Molly, on their yacht the Asgard.
17. S2 EP17 – Roadside Murders13:57In this episode we tell the sad story of Tadhg Kennefick and try to make sense of the horrific violence of the Irish Civil war.
16. S2 EP16 – The Special Powers Act15:37In this episode we look at what has been described as one of the most draconian pieces of legislation ever to be passed in a liberal democracy and see how the Special Powers Act was just one of the many ways that Ulster Unionists held on to power.
15. S2 EP15 – How Collins Approached Northern Ireland13:27In this episode we look at the second failed Craig-Collins pact and try to untangle the complicated web that was Michael Collins's approach to the North in 1922.
Interview – Alexander Poots On The Writing Northern Ireland23:23From CS Lewis's bourgeois Protestant upbringing to Seamus Heaney's beautiful attempts at understanding his home, this episode I interview Alexander Poots author of The Strangers' House: Writing Northern Ireland and ask what Northern Irish writers can teach us about the history of the area. Sign up to Patreon for the full interview. You can read more about the book, here:https://www.twelvebooks.com/titles/alexander-poots/the-strangers-house/9781538701584/
14. S2 EP14 – The McMahon Murders14:21In this episode we look at the failed attempts to bring peace to Northern Ireland in 1922 and how this affected one poor family in particular.
13. S2 EP13 – Drawing the Border16:16What's this? A new episode! Finally! Thanks so much for baring with me. Happy to say the show is back and raring to go. This episode takes a look at how the Northern Irish border was drawn and explains how we landed on the six counties.