Author of history of United States of America titled 'Fantasyland' brings us on a fascinating journey through America's eclectic mix of persecuted religions that made the move firstly across the water from Europe and then further pressed to make the journey west. Kurt Anderson is also a novelist and lives in rural Kentucky.
View all episodes
8. Irish priest turned arms dealer for the IRA with Jennifer O’Leary45:21Fr. Patrick Ryan a Pallotine Father returns from missionary work in East Africa to East London in the late 1960’s just as ‘The Troubles’ so called begin in Northern Ireland. Discover how this complex character came to take off the collar to buy arms form Col. Ghadaffi in Libya and ultimately use his engineering mind to join the dots and see how a simple parking timer could solve one of the IRA’s biggest bomb making problems, the own goals! Journalist Jennifer O’Leary had exclusive access to The Padre as he recounts his part in The Thirty Years War.,
7. The Treaty the birth of the Irish Free State with Gretchen Freimann53:14In this episode Gretchen untangles the complexities of life in Ireland as a nation emerged from its colonial bind. We discuss the characters involved and Gretchen an Australian by birth is a master of the subject matter. We enjoy a fantastic history lesson that puts some context on previous episodes giving us more to think about how the war in the Northern Ireland evolved and how this country is not simply divided along sectarian grounds but rather there are many layers of opinion on the politics of Ireland. A worthy investigation in the midst of our series on recent Irish history.
5. Prisoner 1082 Part 201:08:25We conclude our intensely absorbing tale of IRA Prisoner 1082 Donal Donnelly’s daring escape from Crumlin Road Gaol. We also discuss the current peace process and the prospects of a unites Ireland and some of what needs to change within Northern Ireland before that can happen.
4. Prisoner 1082 Crumlin Road Gaol Irish Republican Army Escapologist Donal Donnelly01:09:27Donal born in 1939 Omagh County Tyrone eloquently describes life in Northern Ireland after partition offering a balanced opinion albeit from a Nationalist perspective. This is Part 1 of what is a beautifully described story told as if it happened yesterday, Donal is a delight to speak with, enjoy.
3. History of the UFC, Caged Kings with Michael Thomsen58:38Journalist Michael Thomsen’s new book Caged Kings takes us through the beginnings of what might have been called a hobby project that seemed to capture a Zeitgeist in American culture just at the right time when cable television began experimenting with pay per view. We discuss some of the characters that shaped our view of what is now the sport of Mixed Martial Arts and try and grasp what it is that has made this company such a success.
2. Northern Ireland Conflict & Collusion with Anne Cadwallader49:09Anne having covered the stories on the ground in Northern Ireland left journalism to work with the Pat Finucane Centre to help families seek justice for loved ones who died as a result of collusion of British State and loyalist paramilitaries. We have an honest conversation about a conflict that no longer takes up space in the press but the story is not yet complete.
1. The Palestine Laboratory with Antony Loewenstein01:00:33We’re back! Welcome to Season 6. Myself and our new addition to the Hipstorians team Yvonne Mulligan kick it off with Antony Loewenstein who has written ‘The Palestine Laboratory” and leads us on a journey through the creation of the state of Israel and it’s evolution, it’s role in the world and of course the question of Palestine.
8. Vietnam War Veteran in full technicolour53:20Kregg Jorgensen tells his story in epic detail of how he ended up in the Army Ranger Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol, his CBS televised being shot in the leg and more lot’s more. Myself and Yvonne had a terrific time, Kregg is quite a character. Hope you enjoy.
7. Z Generation the people in Putin’s Army and the future of Russia41:50Russia expert Dr. Ian Garner having lived in St Petersburg sets out his views on the Russian state and war machine and the youth who have grown up under Putin’s reign and how the propaganda apparatus has managed to indoctrinate a demographic aspiring to Russian greatness. Another thriller which unfortunately will play a part in all our lives.