THE GRIMSHAW PODCAST
ASIA AND THE URBAN FUTURE
Asia and the Urban Future is the fifth episode in the Building the City podcast series. In this episode, Professor Richard Hu of Canberra University and author of Reinventing the Chinese City (2023) and Smart Design (2021) gives us an impressive overview of key city trends in Asia and indeed across the world.
View all episodes
12. SHAPING THE URBAN FUTURE58:47In this episode Oxford University’s Professor Michael Keith talks about his unique experience as someone who has combined analysing cities across the globe with leadership of a major London council.
11. THE HEALTHY CITY52:32Professor Billie Giles-Corti of RMIT is a global expert on the links between how cities are structured and public health and climate outcomes. In this podcast we discuss her research but also the strategies she identifies to improve cities - and public health.
10. VISIONS OF THE CITY54:06In this edition, Tim Williams interviews Professor Alex Krieger of the influential Harvard School of Design about his recent book City on a Hill: Urban Idealism in America from the Puritans to the Present. Visions drive city-making and in this podcast we learn about the diverse visions that have shaped US cities.
9. GOVERNING INNOVATION01:04:35In this episode of the Building the City series, Julie Wagner, President of The Global Institute on Innovation Districts, discusses her new report on the seven key factors in designing effective governance of innovation districts – crucial new foundations of the next stage of the urban economy. Listen to Episode 9 Governing Innovation with your host, Tim Williams.
8. FINANCING THE GREEN CITY54:04In the latest episode of the Building the City series for the Grimshaw Cities podcast, Dr Rhian-Mari Thomas, a global leader in green finance tells us "Box-ticking and greenwashing won’t achieve the scale of the transformation required to meet the challenges of the climate emergency. Cross-sector collaboration and the focused application of the creativity, innovation and skills of the financial services industry to finance the global transition will". Listen to Episode 8: Financing the Green City with your host Tim Williams.
7. HOMES AND CITIES FOR ALL01:01:36This is the seventh episode in the Building the City podcast series. Hear from your host Tim Williams in conversation with Kate Davies CBE who ran one of the largest and most dynamic Community Housing Providers in Europe, with over 60,000 properties in its portfolio by 2022. In this podcast, she describes the impact of Notting Hill Genesis Housing Association and how to deliver ‘homes for all in the city for all’.
6. THE NET ZERO CITY50:22The Net Zero City is the sixth episode in the Building the City podcast series. In this episode, your host Tim Williams interviews Peter Newman AO, Professor of Sustainability at Curtin University in Perth, Western Australia. Peter has written 20 books and 300 papers on sustainable cities and is well known for creating the term "automobile dependence". As a key author on transport on the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Peter is a global leader at the interface of urban policy and transport on the journey to the net zero city.
4. CITIES BY DESIGN47:16Cities by Design is the fourth episode in the Building the City podcast series. In this episode, your host Tim Williams interviews David Hutton, Group Head of Development with global firm Lendlease. Based in Singapore David has worked on major city-shaping projects all over the world and oversees the company's Urbanisation Practice, focused on sharing best practice in design and development across the Americas, Europe, Asia and Australia.