The Future Car: A Siemens Podcast
Uncovering Damon’s safer and smarter electric motorcycle with Jay Giraud - Part 1
Riding a motorcycle is exhilarating!
If you are not used to it, you get to experience fear, pleasure, and freedom, all at once. At high speeds; you get to feel the wind hitting you, hear the sound coming from the engine, and on sharp corners, see yourself defying gravity.
However, a majority of people riding motorcycles don’t get to use them because they enjoy the experience. They do it because it's the only means of transport that’s available to them.
One of the biggest challenges that faces almost all motorbike users is safety. This problem is magnified in cases where they have to share roads with cars and it has necessitated the need for a safer and smarter motorbike.
One of the ways to achieve that is to build an electric motorcycle that can scan its surroundings and warn the rider when they are facing danger.
In this episode, the first part of two, Ed Bernardon interviews Jay Giraud, CEO and co-founder of Damon Motorcycles. An electric motorcycle startup aiming to make the riding experience cleaner, safer, and more exhilarating. He’ll share with us the progress they’ve made so far with their electric motorcycle.
Some Questions I Ask:
- What are the big problems that motorcyclists face that you're trying to reverse engineer? (02:52)
- How do you use data from riders to enhance safety? (15:33)
- How did your career evolve? (20:35)
- Who helped you in building your first electric car? (24:30)
What You’ll Learn in this Episode:
- Why people push the limits of motorcycle safety (07:35)
- How Damon makes motorbikes safer (08:55)
- The time a rider or driver requires to avoid an accident (13:26)
- The paradigm that Damon Motorcycles is working to change (17:53)
Connect with Jay Giraud:
Connect with Ed Bernardon: