The Future Car: A Siemens Podcast
Technology with Purpose - Barbara Humpton - Part 2
“Competition makes us faster, collaboration makes us better.”
For a company as big and diversified as Siemens, collaboration opens up a door to creating life-changing products. It allows the company to be at the forefront in tackling global issues such as climate change and degenerative diseases. It also allows the company to play a critical role in supporting the development of smart factories, eco-friendly planes, and autonomous vehicles.
To continue elevating collaboration, Siemens has created an environment that nurtures the sharing of ideas and the spirit of innovation.
In this episode, the second part of two, Ed Bernardon interviews Barbara Humpton, CEO of Siemens USA. She’ll share with us how most organization charts limit collaboration and what can be done to increase collaboration in big companies. She’ll also share some advice on how to achieve a work-life blend.
Some Questions I Ask:
- How do you encourage collaboration in a big company? (05:46)
- How does your passion for math help you be a better corporate executive? (13:01)
- How did you navigate the engineering space at a time when there wasn’t a lot of diversity? (15:19)
- What will our infrastructure be like 5 -10 years from now? (24:00)
What You’ll Learn in this Episode:
- Why all organization charts are wrong (00:50)
- Why Barbara joined the technology industry (10:00)
- Her advice on work-life blend (21:12)
- Why does the US not have a high-speed train yet (28:16)
Connect with Barbara Humpton:
Connect with Ed Bernardon: