The Future Car: A Siemens Podcast
Mondavi’s Autonomous Electric Tractors for Sustainable, Affordable Farming - Part 2
Sustainability will play a major role in shaping the future of farming!
The biggest changes that have to be made to create sustainable farms are the farm input and the machines utilized. Companies in this industry are leveraging technology to come up with ways of making the above changes while still being mindful of the farm produce quality.
So far, it is working! The current technological advancements are making farming cheaper and more friendly to newbie farmers. This is bound to promote the mass adoption of sustainable farming strategies.
In this episode, the second part out of two, Ed Bernardon interviews Carlo Mondavi, grandson of Napa Valley icon Robert Mondavi, and founder/Chief Farming Officer of Monarch Tractor. Carlo is also a farmer and one of the owners of RAEN Winery. We’ll talk about the impact their autonomous tractor is having on the farming industry as well as what the future of farming looks like.
Some Questions I Ask:
- How many tractors can a single operator run? (06:40)
- What’s the role of data analytics in all this and how do you collect it? (08:46)
- Do you foresee a future where AI will play a bigger role? (13:00)
- What do you see as the next two or three steps in farming in the next 5 to 10 years? (21:59)
- How are we going to be making wine in the year 2050? (24:55)
What You’ll Learn in this Episode:
- How Monarch will help in getting rid of chemical use in the farms (03:24)
- How the Monarch tractor removes weed without hurting the vine (05:05)
- Challenges that farmers are facing during the harvest season (07:28)
- How technology is making it easier to become a farmer (16:24)
- Some of the Monarch’s challenge success stories (19:07)
Connect with Carlo Mondavi:
Connect with Ed Bernardon: