The Future Car: A Siemens Podcast
Meeting the Challenges of Design Complexity in the Automotive Industry with Nand Kochhar
The layers of complexity in the automotive industry continue to increase as consumers demand more sustainable and fuel-efficient vehicles. Along with those demands, the changing government regulations also pose additional challenges that the industry must find new and innovative ways of meeting.
These multifaceted needs are being met through the adoption of systems engineering, and the continued introduction of electrical and software systems throughout the automotive industry.
My guest today is Nand Kochhar, Vice President of Automotive and Transportation for Siemens Software. He understands first hand the challenges being faced by the industry today, how Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) plays a role, and solutions being developed to make these complex problems much easier to solve.
In this episode, we’ll talk about how the industry has evolved in terms of software and systems engineering, and how real customers are meeting the challenges of a more complex design process. We’ll also discuss the importance of interconnectivity, and how the digital twin makes that process easier for companies by embracing digital solutions.
Some Questions I Ask:
- How does the software and systems engineering of today compare to the early days of the automotive efforts in this space? (3:50)
- How does software and systems engineering apply to electrification? (7:59)
- How do you see the role of model-based systems engineering and the approach with software and systems engineering changing over the next decade? (10:21)
What You’ll Learn in this Episode:
- How electronics and software development have changed how automakers develop vehicles (00:27)
- How the industry is adapting to increased complexity (2:17)
- Where the system of systems concept comes into play (5:42)
- The various considerations of electric versus gasoline in the manufacturing process (10:49)
- How a Model Based Systems Engineering approach supports product development (11:54)
- How one company is succeeding in developing more complex vehicle design (12:56)
Connect with Nand Kochhar:
Connect with Conor Peick: