The Freelance Founders Podcast
Ana Andjelic on Setting Your Own Expectations
One of the things we value most as Freelance Founders is, well, the freedom—not only to choose our own path, but also from the expectations of a corporate title. The most important thing we can do for ourselves as freelancers is to embrace our own vision of success and prosperity, regardless of the ideas that have been set in front of us.
Welcome to episode three of the Freelance Founders podcast. We’re talking to Ana Andjelic, brand executive, doctor of sociology, and one of Forbes’ most influential Chief Marketing Officers. She is also author of The Business of Aspiration which explores the modern aspiration economy and shifting brand narratives.
Today, Ana is talking to us about how her life in academia informs her career, the shift she’s seeing in power from corporations to individuals, and why excitement and inspiration are the most important factors for her in her work. We also discuss her book, the shifting economy that inspired the idea behind it, and why she believes that, at the end of the day, the only expectations you need to meet are your own.
Some Questions asked:
- What made you decide to go off on your own and become a brand executive, write your book, and start consulting? (02:39)
- Who were some of the big influential brands or dream clients of yours? (04:59)
- What made you decide to go back and get your Master’s and your Ph.D.? (10:25)
- What does success mean to you? And how do you measure it for yourself? (21:52)
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- Why Ana believes our economy is now creator-focused (03:43)
- Ana’s philosophy that there’s no point in spending time analyzing the past, especially when you were confident in your initial decisions (07:39)
- Ana’s book, The Business of Aspiration, was conceived to capture the changes in how people spend their time and money and how that relates to an aspirational economy (12:50)
- A bit about Ana’s role as an advisor to Dematerialised and her involvement in the NFT space (17:05)
Connect with Ana:
- The Business of Aspiration by Ana Andjelic
- The Sociology of Business on Substack