The Doctor's Kitchen Podcast
#153 Time Restricted Eating (TRE) with Professor Satchin Panda PhD
Can when you eat be as important as what you eat? My next guest thinks so, and has spent his academic career studying the effects of circadian rhythm on everything from heart disease, exercise capacity, cognitive health and diabetes.
Satchin Panda, PhD is a professor at The Salk Institute in La Jolla, California. His lab studies how circadian rhythm in metabolism is an integral part of metabolic health and longevity. In preclinical animal models he discovered that consuming all calories within a consistent 8-12 hours also known as Time-restricted feeding can sustain daily rhythms.
One of the commonest topics I’m asked about is whether TRE or eating within rigid windows is advisable, and so I was fortunate to spend some time with Dr Panda himself whose research I’ve been privy to for many years. Studies have shown that this practical tool can prevent or even reverse chronic diseases and increase lifespan and today you’ll learn about:
- What circadian rhythms are
- The biggest drivers to rhythm - eating, light, exercise
- Eating strategies for shift workers
- When is the best time of day for Exercise
- Whether grazing on food within a TRE window is advisable
- How we separate the effect of TRE from a calorie deficit
- The history of circadian science
- How we use mice to research circadian rhythms
- How disrupting rhythm causes diabetes - effects of time-restricted eating on glucose metabolism.
- Why giving your gut a rest is important
- The benefits of intermittent fasting to insulin, your gut, inflammation and fat breakdown
You can download The Doctor’s Kitchen app for free to get access to all of our recipes, with specific suggestions tailored to your health needs and new recipes added every month. We’ve had some amazing feedback so far and we have new features being added all the time - check it out with a 14 day free trial too.
Do check out this week’s “Eat, Listen, Read” newsletter, that you can subscribe to on our website - where I send you a recipe to cook as well as some mindfully curated media to help you have a healthier, happier week.
We would love to get your feedback on the subject matter of these episodes - please do let me know on our social media pages (Instagram, Facebook & Twitter) what you think,and give us a 5* rating on your podcast player if you enjoyed today’s episode.
Check out the recipes and app here: https://apple.co/3G0zC0Z
Join the newsletter and 7 day meal plan here: https://thedoctorskitchen.com/newsletter/
Check out the socials here: https://www.instagram.com/doctors_kitchen/