The Doctor's Farmacy with Mark Hyman, M.D.
What’s The Beef With Beef? Is There Meat That Is Good For You And The Planet? with Scott Lively
Meat is always a hot topic in the nutrition and wellness space. To eat it, or not to eat it? That is the oversimplified question of what is a much more complex topic. You see, we can’t lump all meat into one category. And we can’t think about meat as all or nothing—there’s much more to the story. Today on The Doctor’s Farmacy, Scott Lively and I talk all about conscious meat-eating, and more specifically beef, as well as the nuances that come with it. Scott shares some helpful tips for improving the quality of the meat you eat.
Scott Lively is the co-founder of Raise American, which provides 100 percent grass-fed, organic, American, planet-friendly beef. He is an organic food entrepreneur and an absolute beef freak. Scott left a successful career in the IT industry to co-found what is now the largest organic beef company in the United States. Today, he oversees a broad portfolio of companies, private labels, and brands. Scott is an advocate of local economic development and regenerative farming practices applied to large agriculture. He is the author of For The Love of Beef: the Good, the Bad and the Future of America’s Favorite Meat.
This episode is brought to you by Joovv, BiOptimizers, and Cozy Earth.
For a limited time, Joovv is offering $50 off your first order with the code FARMACY at Joovv.com/FARMACY. Some exclusions apply.
Try BiOptimizers Magnesium Breakthrough for 10% off by going to magbreakthrough.com/hyman and using the code HYMAN10.
Right now, you can try out Cozy Earth’s bamboo pajamas and loungewear for 40% off—their highest discount ever offered. Just go to cozyearth.com and use the code HYMANPODCAST.
Here are more of the details from our interview (audio version / Apple Subscriber version):
- How “Big Beef” gained its negative reputation (5:46 / 1:38)
- Issues and challenges with the current beef industry (10:43 / 6:39)
- Consumer driven change in the beef industry (12:13 / 8:40)
- Health attributes of grass-fed beef (14:21 / 10:34)
- Meat consumption and planetary health (21:09 / 17:22)
- Improving beef quality and agricultural practices through academic and governmental programming (29:36 / 25:12)
- Are lab-based meat alternatives good for us? (34:39 / 30:42)
- Tips to determine meat quality (43:31 / 37:47)
- Scott’s journey into the beef industry (48:15 / 42:31)
- The difference between organic and grass-fed beef (52:13 / 46:27)
- Is regenerative agriculture scalable? (55:01 / 49:16)
Get a copy of Scott’s book, For The Love of Beef: the Good, the Bad and the Future of America’s Favorite Meat here https://www.fortheloveofbeef.com.
Learn more about The Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program (CREP) here.