The Doctor's Farmacy with Mark Hyman, M.D.
What's Driving Your IBS And Gut Issues?
Our gut is a powerful control center, due to its bidirectional communication with the brain, which we call the gut-brain axis. This links the emotional and cognitive centers of the brain with intestinal function. Certain conditions, such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), are tied to imbalances in the gut-brain axis and can benefit from taking a systems approach in healing, which includes looking at diet, the microbiome, stress management, and more.
In today’s episode, I talk with Dr. Todd LePine, Dr. Emeran Mayer, and Dr. George Papanicolaou about various root causes of irritable bowel syndrome, including microbiome imbalance, parasites, and stress.
Dr. Todd LePine graduated from Dartmouth Medical School and is board certified in Internal Medicine, specializing in Integrative Functional Medicine. He is an Institute for Functional Medicine certified practitioner. Prior to joining The UltraWellness Center, he worked as a physician at Canyon Ranch in Lenox, MA, for 10 years. Dr. LePine’s focus at The UltraWellness Center is to help his patients achieve optimal health and vitality by restoring the natural balance to both the mind and the body. His areas of interest include optimal aging, bio-detoxification, functional gastrointestinal health, systemic inflammation, autoimmune disorders, and the neurobiology of mood and cognitive disorders.
Dr. Emeran Mayer is the author of The Gut-Immune Connection as well as The Mind-Gut Connection. He has studied brain-body interactions for the last 40 years, is the executive director of the G. Oppenheimer Center for Neurobiology of Stress and Resilience, and is the founding director of the UCLA Brain Gut Microbiome Center at the University of California at Los Angeles. His research has been supported by the National Institutes of Health for the past 25 years, and he is considered a pioneer and world leader in the area of brain-gut microbiome interactions and its clinical implications.
Dr. George Papanicolaou is a graduate of the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine and is board certified in Family Medicine from Abington Memorial Hospital. He is also an Institute for Functional Medicine practitioner. He worked on the Navajo reservation for four years at the Chinle Comprehensive Medical Facility, where he served as the Outpatient Department Coordinator. In 2000, he founded Cornerstone Family Practice in Rowley, MA. In 2015, he established Cornerstone Personal Health, a practice dedicated entirely to Functional Medicine. Dr. Papanicolaou joined The UltraWellness Center in 2017.
This episode is brought to you by ButcherBox and Athletic Greens.
If you sign up today, ButcherBox will give you two ribeye steaks for free in your first box. Just go to butcherbox.com/farmacy to claim this deal.
Right now, when you purchase AG1 from Athletic Greens, you will receive 10 FREE travel packs with your first purchase by visiting athleticgreens.com/hyman.
Full-length episodes of these interviews can be found here:
View all episodes
787. 4 Non-Negotiables To Boost Energy And Optimize Your Mitochondria19:00This episode is brought to you by Rupa University, Cozy Earth, and Super Simple Grassfed Protein.An all-too-large percentage of the population suffers from poor sleep, achy joints, feelings of fatigue, brain fog, and what I call FLC (“feel like crap”) syndrome. This epidemic has a number of factors, most of which are caused by our modern lifestyles and diets. But one of the major factors of such dysfunction is poor mitochondrial health.In today’s episode of my series I’m calling Health Bites, I dive deep into our mitochondria—what it is, why it's so important, and what you can do to support your mitochondrial health.This episode is brought to you by Rupa University, Cozy Earth, and Super Simple Grassfed Protein.If you’re a healthcare provider who wants to learn more about Functional Medicine testing, go to rupauniversity.com to sign up for a free live class or a boot camp!Right now, get 40% off your Cozy Earth sheets. Just head over to cozyearth.com and use code DRHYMAN.Right now, you can get 10% off Super Simple Grassfed Protein by heading to drhyman.com/protein and using code protein10.Here are more details from our interview (audio version / Apple Subscriber version):What are mitochondria? (3:50 / 2:16) Causes of mitochondrial damage (5:59 / 4:10) Four nonnegotiables to mitochondrial health (7:40 / 6:06) Five ways to fuel your mitochondria (12:43 / 10:22) Mentioned in this episodeDrHyman.com blogs on mitochondria
786. IBS: It’s Not In Your Head—Advances In Diagnosing And Treating, Bloating And Tummy Troubles with Dr. Mark Pimentel01:02:32This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health, BiOptimizers, Sunlighten, and ARMRA.An estimated 70 million people in the United States are affected by IBS, SIBO, or another disease linked to digestive health, and 74% of Americans say they live with symptoms of digestive discomfort. Today, I’m excited to talk to Dr. Mark Pimentel about getting to the root cause of IBS and SIBO, how to properly diagnose and treat it, and strategies to improve your overall gut health.Dr. Mark Pimentel is a Professor of Medicine and Gastroenterology through the Geffen School of Medicine and an Associate Professor of Medicine at Cedars-Sinai. Dr. Pimentel is also the Executive Director of the Medically Associated Science and Technology (MAST) program at Cedars-Sinai, an enterprise of physicians and researchers dedicated to the study of the gut microbiome in order to develop effective diagnostic tools and therapies to improve patient care. Dr. Pimentel has over 150 publications in many high-profile journals, and he is the author of the book, The Microbiome Connection: Your Guide to IBS, SIBO, and Low-Fermentation Eating.This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health, BiOptimizers, Sunlighten, and ARMRA.Access more than 3,000 specialty lab tests with Rupa Health. Check out a free, live demo with a Q&A or create an account at RupaHealth.com.This month only, get a FREE bottle of Bioptimizers Magnesium Breakthrough. Go to magbreakthrough.com/hymanfree and enter coupon code hyman10.Save up to $600 on your purchase of a Sunlighten sauna at sunlighten.com/mark-hyman and mention my name, Dr. Hyman, to save.Receive 15% off your first order of ARMRA Colostrum. Go to tryarmra.com/MARK or enter MARK to get 15% off your first order.Here are more details from our interview (audio version / Apple Subscriber version):What are IBS and SIBO and how are they different? (6:12 / 3:31)Food poisoning as the root cause of gut symptoms (9:49 / 8:05) Fungal overgrowth, or SIFO (16:00 / 12:34) Testing and treating various types of IBS (19:18 / 16:22) Low-fermentation eating (26:26 / 22:01)When probiotics worsen IBS (37:20 / 34:07) Intestinal methane overgrowth (40:08 / 36:00) The gut-brain connection (43:45 / 39:17)PCOS and gut issues (48:29 / 44:08) Mentioned in this episodeibssmart.comtriosmartbreath.comPubMed Research PapersGet a copy of The Microbiome Connection: Your Guide to IBS, SIBO, and Low-Fermentation Eating.
785. Exclusive Dr. Hyman+ Ask Mark A Doctor: Melatonin, Weight Loss, And More30:11Hey podcast community, Dr. Mark here. My team and I are so excited to offer you a 7 Day Free trial of the Dr. Hyman+ subscription for Apple Podcast. For 7 days, you get access to all this and more entirely for free! It's so easy to sign up. Just go click the Try Free button on the Doctor’s Farmacy Podcast page in Apple Podcast. In this teaser episode, you’ll hear a preview of our monthly Ask A Doctor Anything episode with Dr. Elizabeth Boham.Want to hear the full episode? Subscribe now. With your 7 day free trial to Apple Podcast, you’ll gain access to audio versions of:- Ad-Free Doctor’s Farmacy Podcast episodes- Exclusive monthly Functional Medicine Deep Dives- Monthly Ask Mark Anything Episodes - Bonus audio content exclusive to Dr. Hyman+Trying to decide if the Dr. Hyman+ subscription for Apple Podcast is right for you? Email my team at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you have. Please note, Dr. Hyman+ subscription for Apple Podcast does not include access to the Dr. Hyman+ site and only includes Dr. Hyman+ in audio content.
784. How Our Life Experiences Influence Our Gene Expression And Overall Health01:24:36This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health, Sensate, and Super Simple Protein. Epigenetics is the study of how our environment and behavior can influence which of our genes are turned on or off. That’s right—we’re born with many different genes, but that does not mean they are all active. Genes can be activated or silenced from so many different things, like what you eat, how you move, and how you restore your system. Your thoughts, feelings, and social connections even regulate your genes too. You can turn on genes that create health or disease or weight gain or weight loss.In today’s episode, I talk with Drs. Jeff Bland, Bruce Lipton, and Todd LePine about how environmental and lifestyle factors are significant determining factors of your health.Dr. Jeff Bland is the founder of Big Bold Health, a company on a mission to transform the way people think about one of nature’s greatest innovations—the immune system. Through Big Bold Health, Jeff is advocating for the power of immuno-rejuvenation to enhance immunity at a global level, often through the rediscovery of ancient food crops and superfoods. Jeff’s career in health spans more than 40 years. A nutritional biochemist by training, he began in academia as a university professor. Jeff then spent three decades in the natural products industry, working alongside other pioneers.Dr. Bruce Lipton is a stem cell biologist and author of the bestselling books The Biology of Belief, Spontaneous Evolution, and The Honeymoon Effect. Dr. Lipton is the recipient of the prestigious Japanese Goi Peace Award and has been listed in “the 100 Most Spiritually Influential Living People” by Watkins Mind Body Spirit magazine for the last 13 years.Dr. Todd LePine graduated from Dartmouth Medical School and is board certified in internal medicine, specializing in Integrative Functional Medicine. He is an Institute for Functional Medicine Certified Practitioner. Prior to joining The UltraWellness Center, he worked as a physician at Canyon Ranch in Lenox, MA, for 10 years. Dr. LePine’s focus at The UltraWellness Center is to help his patients achieve optimal health and vitality by restoring the natural balance to both the mind and the body.This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health, Sensate, and Super Simple Protein.Access more than 3,000 specialty lab tests with Rupa Health. You can check out a free, live demo with a Q&A or create an account at RupaHealth.com today.Head on over to getsensate.com/Farmacy and use code FARMACY to get 10% off your Sensate device today.Right now, you can get 10% off Super Simple Grassfed Protein by heading to drhyman.com/protein and using code protein10.Full-length episodes (and corresponding links) of these interviews can be found here:Dr. Jeff BlandDr. Bruce LiptonDr. Todd LePine
783. Does Eating Meat Help Or Harm Our Health?26:15This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health, Mitopure, and Super Simple Grassfed Protein.While anti-meat advocates and scientists have tried to scare Americans by linking meat to everything from cancer to heart disease, diabetes, and even obesity, research actually shows meat is a nutrient-dense food that can help prevent disease and nutritional deficiencies when you eat it with plenty of plants and vegetables (and not as part of the typical Western diet and lifestyle). That doesn’t mean there isn’t a dark side to eating meat, but there are good scientific and health-minded reasons to eat high-quality, organic, grass-fed, sustainably raised meat as part of an overall healthy diet.In today’s episode of my series I’m calling Health Bites, I discuss why meat is such a contentious food, whether meat really contributes to global warming, and how to make the most informed decision about purchasing and eating meat. This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health, Mitopure, and Super Simple Grassfed Protein.Access more than 3,000 specialty lab tests with Rupa Health. You can check out a free, live demo with a Q&A or create an account at RupaHealth.com today.Support the growth of new, healthy mitochondria and get 10% off Mitopure. Head to timelinenutrition.com/drhyman and use code DRHYMAN10 at checkout.Right now, you can get 10% off Super Simple Grassfed Protein by heading to drhyman.com/protein and using code protein10.Here are more details from our interview (audio version / Apple Subscriber version):Commonly held myths about meat (2:49 / 0:48)Meat is the single best source of protein for humans (7:29 / 4:46)How much saturated fat is “healthy”? (12:57 / 10:45)Meat is a nutritional powerhouse (14:35 / 11:50)Grass-fed and regenerative meat is better (15:23 / 12:38)Most of your plate should still be plants (16:24 / 13:38)How you cook meat matters (18:45 / 16:00) Does meat contribute to global warming? (19:17 / 16:30) What to look for when buying meat (22:21 / 19:35)What types of meat to eat and avoid (23:25 / 20:39)
782. The Next Revolution In Medicine: Scientific Wellness, AI And Disease Reversal with Nathan Price & Lee Hood01:27:38This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health, Kettle & Fire, LMNT, and Cozy Earth.Recent technological advances are completely changing the way we understand the body. Revolutions are happening on multiple levels–the “omics” revolution, the digitization of data, and the systems biology medicine movement. Today, I’m excited to talk to Drs. Leroy Hood and Nathan Price about the future of personalized healthcare through scientific wellness.Dr. Leroy Hood is the CEO and founder of Phenome Health, a non-profit organization developing a project called Human Phenome Initiative (HPI), based on the science of wellness, which will sequence the genes and generate the longitudinal phenomes of one million people over 10 years. He has co-founded 17 biotech companies. His many national and international awards include the Lasker Prize, the Kyoto Prize, and the National Medal of Science. He is also the Chief Strategy Officer/Professor at the Institute of Systems Biology in Seattle.Dr. Nathan Price is the Chief Scientific Officer of Thorne HealthTech and author of The Age of Scientific Wellness. In 2019, he was named one of the 10 Emerging Leaders in Health and Medicine by the National Academy of Medicine, and in 2021 he was appointed to the Board on Life Sciences of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. He is Affiliate Faculty at the University of Washington in Bioengineering and Computer Science and Engineering. This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health, Kettle & Fire, LMNT, and Cozy Earth.Access more than 3,000 specialty lab tests with Rupa Health. Check out a free, live demo with a Q&A or create an account at RupaHealth.com.Head over to kettleandfire.com/Hyman today to see all of their products and use code HYMAN to save 20% off your entire order.LMNT is offering my listeners a free sample pack with any purchase at DrinkLMNT.com/hyman.Get 40% off your Cozy Earth sheets at cozyearth.com and use code DRHYMAN.Here are more details from our interview (audio version / Apple Subscriber version):Systems biology and scientific wellness (5:41 / 4:25) Three components of the human phenome (20:07 / 18:30) How big-data analytics and AI can be used to optimize health (24:30 / 22:30)The majority of health and wellness happens outside the doctor’s office (41:28 / 37:47)Educating the public about the future of medicine (43:23 / 39:21) Training AI machine learning models (52:47 / 49:11)Drs. Hood and Price’s daily health routines (1:13:49 / 1:10:12) Get a copy of The Age of Scientific Wellness: Why the Future of Medicine Is Personalized, Predictive, Data-Rich, and in Your Hands.
781. How To Address Gut Issues And Get Back To Optimal Health01:01:30This episode is brought to you by AG1, AirDoctor, HigherDOSE, and Super Simple Protein. So many people are plagued every day with uncomfortable symptoms like bloating, cramps, diarrhea, constipation, and pain that often reduce quality of life or derail daily activities. Thankfully, emerging research has helped identify the real underlying issues of digestive conditions, which means we are developing an understanding of how to actually treat—and fix—gut dysfunction.In today’s episode, I talk with Dhru Purohit and Dr. Elizabeth Boham about the importance of a healthy gut and how to treat common symptoms like bloating, malnutrition, dysbiosis, and more.Dhru Purohit is a podcast host, serial entrepreneur, and investor in the health and wellness industry. His podcast, The Dhru Purohit Podcast, is a top 50 global health podcast with over 30 million unique downloads. His interviews focus on the inner workings of the brain and the body and feature the brightest minds in wellness, medicine, and mindset.Dr. Elizabeth Boham is a physician and nutritionist who practices Functional Medicine at The UltraWellness Center in Lenox, MA. Through her practice and lecturing she has helped thousands of people achieve their goals of optimum health and wellness. She witnesses the power of nutrition every day in her practice and is committed to training other physicians to utilize nutrition in healing.This episode is brought to you by AG1, AirDoctor, HigherDOSE, and Super Simple Protein.Head to drinkAG1.com/HYMAN to receive 10 FREE travel packs of AG1 with your first purchase.I’ve teamed up with the makers of AirDoctor to give my listeners the best deal yet on this amazing filtration system. Right now, if you go to drhyman.com/filter you can get the AirDoctor filter for $329.Elevate your wellness game today by going to HigherDOSE.com. You can use promo code HYMAN at checkout or just go to higherdose.com/hyman to save 15% site-wide.Right now, you can get 10% off Super Simple Grassfed Protein by heading to drhyman.com/protein and using code protein10.Full-length episodes (and corresponding links) of these interviews can be found here:3 Things That Destroy Your Gut HealthUnderweight, Overtired, and Malnourished: How To Get Your Health Back On TrackWhy Gut Issues Are On The Rise And How To Fix ItBloating: Getting Rid Of Your Food Baby With Functional Medicine
780. Know Your Numbers: How Personalized Testing Can Optimize Your Health And Reverse Disease with Pranitha Patil01:21:03This episode is brought to you by ButcherBox, BiOptimizers, and Super Simple Grassfed Protein.Doctors often order lab tests based on specific concerns, which means potential issues from hormone imbalances to nutrient deficiencies can be overlooked. Routine physicals may not capture the full picture, leaving gaps in our understanding of heart disease, cancer, and more. Standard lab tests at a doctor's office aren't comprehensive enough. However, with robust, routine lab testing and personalized insights from top medical experts, we can finally understand and manage our health. This proactive approach represents the future of your healthcare.I co-founded Function Health alongside Pranitha Patil and others. I was excited to sit down with her for this episode. Our mission is to empower people to live 100 healthy years. In our conversation, we dive deep into the importance of individualized health information, exploring topics like comprehensive cardiovascular, autoimmunity, thyroid testing, and much more.Pranitha made a bold move, leaving Harvard University's graduate school early to build Function Health. Her extensive background at Accenture saw her working closely with the largest hospital systems and health insurance providers, where she witnessed the problems with healthcare from the inside. More personally, Pranitha's own health challenges inspired her to prioritize giving people the power to own their health.Function is the first-ever membership offering access to over 100+ lab tests. It provides personalized insights from globally renowned doctors based on your results. You can join Function by securing your spot on the waitlist at functionhealth.com, to get access within a few weeks. Join Function now!This episode is brought to you by ButcherBox, BiOptimizers, and Super Simple Grassfed Protein.For new members of ButcherBox, you can receive New York strip steaks for a year PLUS $20 off your first order. Go to butcherbox.com/farmacy and use code FARMACY.This month only you can get a FREE bottle of Bioptimizers Magnesium Breakthrough. Go to magbreakthrough.com/hymanfree and enter coupon code hyman10.Get 10% off Super Simple Grassfed Protein at drhyman.com/protein and use code protein10.Here are more details from our interview (audio version / Apple Subscriber version):Pranitha’s personal health journey (3:46 / 1:06)Optimizing your health with personalized data (8:30 / 5:58)Why normal biomarkers are not necessarily optimal (22:46 / 20:14)Comprehensive cardiovascular testing (32:50 / 29:38)Comprehensive thyroid testing (44:57 / 41:45)The prevalence of autoimmune disease and related testing (49:31 / 46:19)Women’s and men’s health testing at every stage of life (52:15 / 49:03)How I manage stress (59:04 / 56:29)Testing to assess immune and pancreatic function (1:01:51 / 58:39)Nutritional, liver, kidney, and other testing offered by Function Health (1:03:44 / 1:00:30)Correction: This episode mentions a book by Drs. Leroy Hood and Nathan Price. The title of that book is The Age of Scientific Wellness.
779. Burned Out? How To Reset Your Life And Health with Dr. Neha Sangwan01:08:50This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health, Pendulum, BiOptimizers, and Levels.Most of us are faced with endless pressures of work and family and a relentless barrage of tasks, to-dos, and requests, all while trying to manage our health, nutrition, and sleep. It’s easy to become overwhelmed, exhausted, anxious, and burnt out. Feeling like crap has become pervasive in our society. In fact, in 2019, the World Health Organization added “burnout” as a diagnosable medical condition. Today on The Doctor’s Farmacy, I’m excited to talk to Dr. Neha Sangwan about how to recover from any stage of burnout and build a life founded on a healthy body, mind, and spirit.Dr. Sangwan is an internal medicine physician, the CEO and founder of Intuitive Intelligence, and an international speaker and corporate communication expert. Her private practice and corporate consulting focus on empowering individuals, organizational leaders, and their teams with the tools for clear, effective communication. She addresses the root causes of stress, miscommunication, and interpersonal conflict, often healing chronic conditions such as headaches, insomnia, anxiety, depression, and burnout. She is also the author of, Powered by Me: From Burned Out to Fully Charged At Work and In Life.This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health, Pendulum, BiOptimizers, and Levels.Access more than 3,000 specialty lab tests with Rupa Health. Check out a free, live demo with a Q&A or create an account at RupaHealth.com today.Pendulum is offering my listeners 20% off their first month of an Akkermansia subscription with code HYMAN at Pendulumlife.com.This month only you can get a FREE bottle of Bioptimizers Magnesium Breakthrough. Just go to magbreakthrough.com/hymanfree and enter coupon code hyman10.Levels is offering an additional two free months of their annual membership. Head over to levels.link/HYMAN to learn more.Here are more details from our interview (audio version / Apple Subscriber version):Defining burnout and what causes it (5:35 / 3:38) Three levels of burnout (11:38 / 9:42) Exercises to asses areas of burnout in your life (14:31 / 12:35)My personal experience with burnout (28:05 / 23:58) Recovering from burnout (40:42 / 36:11) Getting out of acute burnout (45:13 / 40:49) Setting healthy boundaries to prevent and recover from burnout (48:14 / 43:43) Overcoming mind traps that keep us stuck in burnout (57:17 / 52:56) How Dr. Sangwan stays fully charged and avoids burnout (1:03:32 / 59:12) Check out the free burnout assessment tool at intuitiveintelligenceinc.com/burnout-rx. Get a copy of Dr. Sangwan’s book, Powered by Me: From Burned Out to Fully Charged at Work and in Life.