The Doctor's Farmacy with Mark Hyman, M.D.
What Would Happen If You Stopped Eating Bread For 30 Days?
The average American consumes 133 pounds of flour per year. Let that sink in. What we may not realize is that every time we eat white flour, we are harming ourselves. The starch in common wheat, typically known as modern dwarf wheat, raises your blood sugar more than table sugar! Eating a diet high in carbohydrates may affect not just your waistline, but also your brain function, energy, immune system, healthspan, and more.
In this episode of my new Masterclass series, I am interviewed by my good friend and podcast host, Dhru Purohit, about how and why to consider giving up bread for 30 days. We discuss why our modern wheat is not a good food choice on a daily basis, how to pause on eating bread for a month or more, why certain kinds of bread may be a better choice than others, questions from our community, and so much more.
Dhru Purohit is a podcast host, serial entrepreneur, and investor in the health and wellness industry. His podcast, The Dhru Purohit Podcast, is a top 50 global health podcast with over 30+ million unique downloads. His interviews focus on the inner workings of the brain and the body and feature the brightest minds in wellness, medicine, and mindset.
This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health and Mitopure.
Rupa Health is a place for Functional Medicine practitioners to access more than 2,000 specialty lab tests from over 20 labs like DUTCH, Vibrant America, Genova, Great Plains, and more. You can check out a free live demo with a Q&A or create an account at RupaHealth.com.
Mitopure is the first and only clinically tested pure form of a natural gut metabolite called Urolithin A that clears damaged mitochondria away from our cells and supports the growth of new healthy mitochondria. Get 10% off at timelinenutrition.com/drhyman and use code DRHYMAN10.
In this episode, we discuss (audio version / Apple Subscriber version):
- Three reasons to stop eating bread for 30 days (1:04 / 00:54)
- Bread’s effect on insulin and blood sugar (5:40 / 5:28)
- Can bread and/or flour cause leaky gut? (10:13 / 7:50)
- What to expect when stopping bread for 30 days (13:55 / 13:31)
- Different kinds of bread and how they impact the body (16:13 / 16:05)
- Case study of a woman with multiple conditions who healed on an elimination diet
(20:27 / 20:18)
- Questions from our community including eating gluten in other countries, Roundup in wheat, hunger when not eating carbs, and more (23:29 / 23:22)
- What kinds of bread I eat (28:35 / 28:26)
- Steps to take now to go bread-free (33:24 / 33:13)
Mentioned in this episode: