The Doctor's Farmacy with Mark Hyman, M.D.
The Root Causes And Solutions For Women’s Hormonal Imbalances with Dr. Sara Gottfried
If you’ve experienced any of the symptoms of hormonal imbalance, you’d probably agree that they have a lot of power over how well we feel. But unfortunately, especially for women, the signs of hormonal imbalances are constantly being written off as “normal.” I’m here to tell you that they’re not! Today, I’m talking with Dr. Sara Gottfried about why our hormones get out of whack and how to get them back in balance.
Dr. Sara Gottfried is a board-certified physician who graduated from Harvard and MIT. She practices evidence-based integrative, precision, and Functional Medicine. She is a Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Integrative Medicine and Nutritional Sciences at Thomas Jefferson University, and Director of Precision Medicine at the Marcus Institute of Integrative Health. Her three New York Times bestselling books include: The Hormone Cure, The Hormone Reset Diet, and Younger. Her latest book is called Women, Food, and Hormones.
Here are more of the details from our interview (audio version / Apple Subscriber version):
- We need to stop normalizing women’s hormonal issues (4:24 / 1:58)
- Weight gain and hormonal issues (8:40 / 4:50)
- Symptoms of hormonal imbalance (9:53 /6:43)
- How food affects hormone balance (10:41 / 7:26)
- Alcohol and hormones (14:54 / 9:42)
- Hormone balancing foods (15:46 / 12:45)
- The importance of metabolic flexibility (20:26 / 15:37)
- Cruciferous vegetables, soy, and hormonal health (22:33 / 17:41)
- Is a plant-based or vegan diet helpful for hormonal health? (29:33 / 24:54)
- Why muscle is so important for hormonal health (32:31 / 27:45)
Find out more about Dr. Gottfried at https://www.saragottfriedmd.com and learn more about becoming a patient of Dr. Gottfried’s Precision Medicine practice at https://marcusinstitute.jeffersonhealth.org/.
Get Dr. Gottfried’s book, Women, Food, and Hormones: A 4-Week Plan to Achieve Hormonal Balance, Lose Weight, and Feel Like Yourself Again here.