The Doctor's Farmacy with Mark Hyman, M.D.
The Keys To Living To 120: Blue Zone Wisdom with Dan Buettner
I recently spent time in Sardinia, Italy, which is known for having one of the world’s longest-lived populations. It simply blew me away. After getting to know the people, their day-to-day activities, their diets, and their sense of community I can totally see why they live such long and happy lives. So, how can we embrace these same aspects of Sardinian life in our own busy Western world? Blue Zones pioneer Dan Buettner joins me on this episode to talk about that and so much more. Dan Buettner is an explorer, National Geographic Fellow, award-winning journalist and producer, and New York Times bestselling author. He discovered the five places in the world— dubbed Blue Zones hotspots—where people live the longest, healthiest lives.
Dan now works in partnership with municipal governments, large employers, and health insurance companies to implement Blue Zones Projects in communities, workplaces, and universities. Blue Zones Projects are well-being initiatives that apply lessons from the Blue Zones to entire communities by focusing on changes to the local environment, public policy, and social networks. The program has dramatically improved the health of more than 5 million Americans to date. His new book, The Blue Zones Challenge: A 4-Week Plan for a Longer Better Life is a four-week guide and year-long sustainability program to jump-start your longevity journey.
This episode is brought to you by Eight Sleep, Athletic Greens, and Mitopure.
Head over to eightsleep.com/mark to check out the Pod Pro and save $150 at checkout.
Right now, when you purchase AG1 from Athletic Greens, you will receive 10 FREE travel packs with your first purchase athleticgreens.com/hyman.
Timeline Nutrition is offering my community 10% off MitoPure, which you can get in a capsule, powder, or protein blend, at timelinenutrition.com/drhyman.
Here are more of the details from our interview (audio version / Apple Subscriber version):
- Challenging our preconceived notions of aging (6:49 / 3:38)
- 9 lifestyle habits of the world’s healthiest, longest-lived people (10:32 / 7:24)
- How our built environment influences our health (17:31 / 14:23)
- Teachings on happiness from the Blue Zones (26:30 / 21:39)
- Community, relationships, loneliness, and longevity (29:17 / 25:56)
- What’s driving our decreasing life expectancy? (40:34 / 36:20)
- Obesity rates in neighborhoods that allow billboard advertising and other environmental influences on health (45:49 / 40:53)
- Foods to never have in your kitchen, and foods to always have on hand (54:06 / 49:16)
- Is bread healthy, and if so, what kind? (58:32 / 53:50)
Get a copy of Dan’s book The Blue Zones Challenge: A 4-Week Plan for a Longer Better Life here.
Learn more about Dan’s work at https://www.bluezones.com/.